MPs seek ways to regulate online short term holiday rentals

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

MPs seek ways to regulate online short term holiday rentals

Post by Paphos Life »

MPs are looking at three scenarios to regulate online short term vacation rentals in apartment blocks in residential areas as they move to regulate holiday accommodation made available on platforms such as Airbnb....

Read the article and chat about it below...
WHL

Re: MPs seek ways to regulate online short term holiday rentals

Post by WHL »

Hudswell wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:04 am Oh just get on with it! Let owners of all properties let out for short no long term let's...there are already laws in place in the event of disruption....use them!

Ridiculous statement, Quite residential apartment block, someone decides to rent their flat to holiday makers, noise, partying etc etc, when everyone else wants a nights kip, but according to you, they can then complain, you know that wont work, best thing if someone wants to rent their property for holiday lets, let them apply for a licence, authorities inspect first to prevent problems before they happen...simple
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

WHL...Spot on. We once had some holiday makers come to our block. Loud noise at midnight in the swimming pool. I gave them short sharp shrift-No more noise. Lucky for us there are now NO HOLIDAY lets here. Only residential.
All things are possible
Varky

Post by Varky »

WHL wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:16 am
Hudswell wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:04 am Oh just get on with it! Let owners of all properties let out for short no long term let's...there are already laws in place in the event of disruption....use them!
Ridiculous statement, Quite residential apartment block, someone decides to rent their flat to holiday makers, noise, partying etc etc, when everyone else wants a nights kip, but according to you, they can then complain, you know that wont work, best thing if someone wants to rent their property for holiday lets, let them apply for a licence, authorities inspect first to prevent problems before they happen...simple
In my experience you can get rowdy owners. At least with holidaymakers they are only here for a couple of weeks and then disappear.
Applying for a licence or authority inspection will do nothing to prevent rowdy holidaymakers, so that comment is ridiculous.

Don't forget that a lot of properties were originally sold on the basis they could be let to holidaymakers to cover costs. If you remove that possibility then some owners may decide to walk away. What effect would that have on the maintenance of individual properties on a complex, not to mention the effect that would have on resident owners when those that have walked away stop paying their part of maintenance charges.

Be careful what you wish for and look long term.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Varky wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:40 am
WHL wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:16 am
In my experience you can get rowdy owners. At least with holidaymakers they are only here for a couple of weeks and then disappear.
Applying for a licence or authority inspection will do nothing to prevent rowdy holidaymakers, so that comment is ridiculous.

Don't forget that a lot of properties were originally sold on the basis they could be let to holidaymakers to cover costs. If you remove that possibility then some owners may decide to walk away. What effect would that have on the maintenance of individual properties on a complex, not to mention the effect that would have on resident owners when those that have walked away stop paying their part of maintenance charges.

Be careful what you wish for and look long term.
I was replying to Hudswell statement that all owners , where ever located should be allowed to rent to holiday makers, Issuing licenses would , take into account whether the apartments are located, in tourist areas, residential areas etc etc, it would also compel owners to register for tax/vat etc, also that their rentals, comply with safety issues , smoke alarms, fire extinguishers etc.... as for owners walking away, so be it, I cant see that happening thou.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Stop bloody arguing the lot of you. Treat each other with more respect. I am getting very fed up with finding threads descending to constant arguments.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Learn when to shut up too.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Varky

Post by Varky »

WHL wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:10 am I was replying to Hudswell statement that all owners , where ever located should be allowed to rent to holiday makers, Issuing licenses would , take into account whether the apartments are located, in tourist areas, residential areas etc etc, it would also compel owners to register for tax/vat etc, also that their rentals, comply with safety issues , smoke alarms, fire extinguishers etc.... as for owners walking away, so be it, I cant see that happening thou.
Its already happening, even without this new 'initiative'.
oylero

Post by oylero »

Dominic wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:37 am Learn when to shut up too.
:D
oylero
Galini

Post by Galini »

Dominic wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:33 am Stop bloody arguing the lot of you. Treat each other with more respect. I am getting very fed up with finding threads descending to constant arguments.

I wholeheartedly agree Dominic. I was only thinking over the last week that the Forum was starting to get so that no one could write anything without it being criticised, 'corrected' or just used as an excuse to start bickering ! :roll:
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

Totally agree. It's frankly ridiculous to expect people who bought apartments in tourist areas not to be able to rent them out. Funny thing is that I know a few developments who like the holiday set up but hate the long termers. And let's face it, if you get a long term tenant from hell next door then it may take a great deal longer than two weeks of it to deal with. You can't please everyone but good sets of committee rules should avert or deal with problems of noise when they arise. The ability to register is long overdue.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

Yes true but how do you determine what is a residential area. I'm up in Tala and there are many apartment complexes in and around the village that were build and sold as 'holiday' homes. A lot of the hard sell property companies gave buyers calulcations of the potential earnings from holiday lets as part of the sales pitch. I don't think there are many developments anywhere in the Paphos region that didn't always have a combination of residential, long term and holiday letting from the off. I think it is potentially difficult anywhere in the world to have total harmony in buildings of multiple occupation. A good management committee and cooperation with all owners is the key rather than laws that would be seriously detrimental to many.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Holiday lets required licences 30 years ago, nothing new. Ignorance is no defence in law and let's be honest the developers will tell you anything to make a sale.

Jim
Varky

Post by Varky »

Jim B wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:07 pm Holiday lets required licences 30 years ago, nothing new. Ignorance is no defence in law and let's be honest the developers will tell you anything to make a sale.
Jim
What's new is that the regulatory body CTA is on the point of being disbanded.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Jim B wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:07 pm Holiday lets required licences 30 years ago, nothing new. Ignorance is no defence in law and let's be honest the developers will tell you anything to make a sale.

Jim
The CTA has NOT allowed you to register an apartment, villa or even a small number of them.... It was designed for Hotels only
manxie

Post by manxie »

funny how quick they are to set up this but not so quick to sort out swimming saga
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

The situation re earnings from Tourism of any kind, is to have their tax authority sort out all incomes within Cyprus.
glang3000

Post by glang3000 »

two things to mention on this,

Firstly the government will consider letting friends or even family members using your apartment as rental and second, once you try to register the complex will require a lifeguard.

Not good news for many of us.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jimgward wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:38 pm

Jim
The CTA has NOT allowed you to register an apartment, villa or even a small number of them.... It was designed for Hotels only
Strange Jim. I stayed in apartments on complexes in 1991 and they had copies of the licences on the wall. I did actually ask about buying a specific apartment at the time and they wouldn't sell it because it had a licence and they were hard to get hold of.

Jim
They being Leptos.