Ruling due on foreign spouse income limit..

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
PhotoLady

Re: Ruling due on foreign spouse income limit..

Post by PhotoLady »

Poppy wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:53 am Hang on a bit Jules. You can claim benefits but as you have said on other posts you are not prepared to meet the criteria to claim so your post is a tad misleading.
No, we can't claim benefits - what we can do is try to claim NI credits. But we still have to go every 2 weeks (a 24 mile round trip) and prove we have been looking for work for 35 hours each week.

What I said is I'm happy to take my chances when the time comes with my pension. I've already got my required UK years in plus another 11+ yrs in Cyprus - so yes, that's why I'm not jumping through hoops for my NI credits. Plus we would only need to work part-time so we're definitely not going to spend 35hrs a week looking for or pretending to look for work!

We cannot claim any benefits in UK because we own our own home outright and have just above the limit of savings allowed. However, our private pension income is well below the amount we're supposed to be able to live on so the savings will dwindle slowly.

So, we wait until our limited funds run out - or our pensions kick in. Whichever comes first!
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Rita Sherry

Post by Rita Sherry »

Hudswell & JimB

I am taking issue with the two of you re your statement "immigration was properly regulated prior to 2012" no it was not and the Labour Front bench have admitted it and apologised for it since. As I have said in my previous post "visitors" coming to the UK of course had to show the relevant documentation but no records (under orders) were kept showing they had subsequently left the UK on termination of the granted leave. Thousands of files were found stored away and the Home Secretary (Mrs May) was lambasted in the Commons because she could not give a figure on how many people were in the country illegally - nobody could because of the failure to keep records of those who had left. Dependent relatives were not confined to "spouses" but any member of the family whom it was claimed was dependent on the sponsoring person. That was the deliberate intention of the then government as to quote them "such people would be more inclined to vote Labour" That is absolute fact and was subsequently reported and admitted.

Consequently new rules and regulations were introduced out of which has come the financial requirement not just for spouses of UK citizens but anyone who is not a EU citizen (although those people are supposed to have a job to go to and somewhere to live- hmm). I have no desire to quarrel with either of you and I have agreed in my former posts that the rules respecting spouses (both male and female) of British Citizens are somewhat harsh and, as you say Jim, it is very likely the legislation was hastily drafted to encompass all, which is no excuse for ill thought out drafting. Hopefully the authorities will take heed of what the judgment has pointed out. I hope so for the sake of all the genuine applicants.

On a lighter note no Jim my husband did not have the equivalent of 18,500 salary when we got married (1956) he was a Regular serving Serviceman and we could only dream of a figure of that, at the time, magnitude.

Jules I am totally lost re your explanation of benefits or otherwise which you may or may not be able to claim. My own take on the system is anyone should be able to "retire" at whatever age they choose so long as they are able to support themselves and not look to the State (taxpayers) to do the supporting. I am sure you will agree, irrespective of the journey distance or time required, that it is vital the authorities check that applicants are indeed genuine and entitled to obtain and continue to obtain assistance. One of the major problems today is the sense of the State is there to provide and an attitude of entitlement without any effort which to my mind is not only selfish but an insult to those hard working people living just above the deemed hardship line who either make no claims or will not get anything anyway but are required to pay for others not so bothered. I am also afraid that the prudent amongst us with savings (however large or small) are once more penalised.

Incidetally I have to return to the UK next week as my brother's health has deteriorated rapidly and he is now entirely incapable of taking care of himself - you, of course, had to deal with this with your late Dad. Have a good holiday in Malta unless you have already been in which case I hope it was good.

Rita
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Hello Rita
Correct me again if I'm wrong but wasn't the recording of people leaving the country initially stopped in 1996 by the Conservative party for airports and the Ports by the following Labour Government who continued the implementation of said legislation in 1997? I did prior to 2012 make several applications for Tourist Visas for my wife and the procedure was very strict, even down to the point of her being questioned by Immigration at Manchester Airport on arrival. As you said other applicants can enter the UK with their families on the strength of a Job offer and EU Citizens can bring their spouses with them.
My point is that this law basically only affects British Citizens; having worked with many, many different nationalities over the years I can state categorically that the treatment of British Citizens and their foreign spouses by it's own Government is the poorest of any civilised nation including Canada, Australia, the USA, New Zealand and all of Western Europe. If I wanted to return to the UK I can fortunately meet the criteria, unfortunately many people are not as fortunate as I am.

Have a safe journey Rita and God speed.

Jim