Autumn flowers in the garden.. (pics)

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Autumn flowers in the garden.. (pics)

Post by cyprusmax47 »

As it was a very cloudy early morning I had a little walk in my garden and without the sun I saw things they normally don't get my attention ....
There is for example a wild plant, which is growing everywhere also along roads, but in this light it looked very pretty. One has to be very careful though, when it starts in a garden it is a invasive plant.

So here we are, just leaning towards the pool house wall

close up

assembled in a flower shop ?

gives a nice contrast colour to the strelitzias

late oleander in the shade of the yucca hedge

overgrown bird box

mix of everything...

organic grown lemon tree

three times fruits a season as you can see also the flower

ready to harvest next month

jasmin close up

and finally pics from pool reflections as there was not any wind after last nights storm...

Max
PhotoLady

Re: Autumn flowers in the garden.. (pics)

Post by PhotoLady »

😎
Lovely colours Max, and yes - different light shows up many different aspects when they catch your eye...
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

PhotoLady wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:14 am 😎
Lovely colours Max, and yes - different light shows up many different aspects when they catch your eye...

I appreciate a lot when I get comments specially from you (as your name says it all ;) ) and yes, walking around without sunglasses and no reflexions from the strong sun bringing things up....

Max
Rita Sherry

Post by Rita Sherry »

Max

Yet again lovely pictures (no thunderstorm here last night thankfully - I dont like thunder and lightning but appreciate we need some rain over the dams)

Best wishes
Rita
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Beautiful photos Max, always enjoyable.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Thank you Max- what splendid colours!
Slightly off topic, I know, but we exchanged a couple of posts a while back about night-scented jasmine. I have noticed that the two plants I have outside the bedroom produced a strong scent about two or three days before, and after, full moon, and this repeated itself exactly for four months. I wonder if the night-flying moths, which I guess it is trying to attract, are more active at this time?
Definitely the best thing in the garden, and all free from cuttings!

Jon
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

kingfisher wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:29 pm Thank you Max- what splendid colours!
Slightly off topic, I know, but we exchanged a couple of posts a while back about night-scented jasmine. I have noticed that the two plants I have outside the bedroom produced a strong scent about two or three days before, and after, full moon, and this repeated itself exactly for four months. I wonder if the night-flying moths, which I guess it is trying to attract, are more active at this time?
Definitely the best thing in the garden, and all free from cuttings!

Jon
Interesting observation from you Jon. I wonder if I can realize the same phenomenon in 2 weeks time when it is full moon again. Perhaps I don't have many flowers left as I did a large pruning job 2 weeks ago. Also my "pakistani" was from cuttings of my friends garden at Marathounda.

Max
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

Love love your final photograph Max. Evening reflections.

Maggie B
Cactuslil

Post by Cactuslil »

Lovely photos again Max. Do you have any tips on growing Birds of Paradise? I have2 plants, one in the ground & 1 in a tub but only get 1or 2 flowers each year.
Regarding the Pakistani - we find ours smells the strongest when it’s more humid.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Maggie B wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:17 pm Love love your final photograph Max. Evening reflections.

Maggie B
Morning reflections, as the pics I did 7 AM.....glad you liked them

Max
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Cactuslil wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:40 am Lovely photos again Max. Do you have any tips on growing Birds of Paradise? I have2 plants, one in the ground & 1 in a tub but only get 1or 2 flowers each year.
Regarding the Pakistani - we find ours smells the strongest when it’s more humid.
Early in the year our Bird of Paradise plant had lots of black spots on the leaves.. My wife told me to stop watering it. I have not watered it since and it has good foliage and is flowering again .
Trev..
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Cactuslil wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:40 am Lovely photos again Max. Do you have any tips on growing Birds of Paradise? I have2 plants, one in the ground & 1 in a tub but only get 1or 2 flowers each year.
Only older plants producing a lot of flowers. Important not too much fertilizer, especially low in nitrogen as otherwise you have only leaves growing. Very important is a sunny place to get more flowers, but then in high summer daily watering the pots. If humidity is low to spray the leaves.
In tubs they should not dry out but need also a good drainage and plenty space in the pot to develop side shoots. My plant in the ground gets every 3 days water through drip irrigation of 30 minutes. (but this varies with the quality of your soil, my soil is very poor and a lot of stones.) In pots I would fertilize every month, in the ground 1-2 times per year, ca 50 gr of granulate 12-8-24 NPK. If your plant in the tub has a lot of leaves it needs more water.

Max
Cactuslil

Post by Cactuslil »

Thanks Max. I seem to be doing everything right apart from the fertilizer so I’ll sort that out.