Smart phones

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Tremigirl

Smart phones

Post by Tremigirl »

Come on you lovely people give me your opinions on which phone to buy.
I phone or Samsung?
Thank you.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Smart phones

Post by Dominic »

I prefer Samsung. If you have Apple computers at home though, it would make more sense to have an iPhone.

They are both fine though, and expensive.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Pbee

Post by Pbee »

I prefer the Sony Xperia I'm on my third one. Lots of different models so take a look before you make your decision.
Pat
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Having an Android for work and an IPhone overall, I find the iPhone much more straightforward and much easier to keep up to date. Few Android users run regular updates.
J B

Post by J B »

Tremigirl wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:41 pm Come on you lovely people give me your opinions on which phone to buy.
I phone or Samsung?
Thank you.
Depends on what you want to do with your phone.

Plenty of better value phones on the market than the two makes you mention IMHO.

I have a Motorola Moto G - cost me GB£125 IIRC and does everything I want/need it to do.

:)
J B
Ramone

Post by Ramone »

Samsung all day for me, however the wife loves her IPhone.
I do have an IPad I take with me to work so I have the best of both worlds.
RattyPatty

Post by RattyPatty »

I agree with the Moto G. You can usually get one for £100 in the UK.
daveg

Post by daveg »

Moto G gets my vote as well......
Galini

Post by Galini »

I prefer the Samsung myself but I have had one for years and am used to it. I think that all of the Apple products are very overpriced and there are lots of other brands that are just as good - but then with Apple you are really buying a 'designer label' product so it's up to the individual.
GreenArmy12

Post by GreenArmy12 »

I would check out the new Nokia android phones, much cheaper than Apple or Samsung, I have a Nokia 5 which I am very pleased with, also available as dual sim if you need to run Cyprus and UK numbers.
angieb

Post by angieb »

I’ve previously had Samsung but now have a Huawei Honor 9 Lite. It’s a super phone, really good value and lots of features you normally only get on more expensive phones. Size wise it’s very manageable too, as some new phones, in my opinion, are a bit big - but it depends what you are looking for.
josef k

Post by josef k »

Samsung has too much bloatware and cost more then it needs to. I go for Huawei.
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

I’ve an IPad but have a Samsung phone as it was a cheaper deal.........
Fisherman Phil

Post by Fisherman Phil »

Wouldn't go near Apple iphone, Android everytime and my preference is Samsung.
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

Android all the way for me too. 😁

But, thanks Tremigirl for bringing this subject up as I will be replacing my phone in the near future . . . . . . . And of course, the lovable geeks above NEVER let you down. A few of those phones mentioned, I have never heard of, or considered . . . . . . . I will have to now though, as they are a smart shower of cookies. X

MB

PS. No IPhones for me though.
STELIOSBWFC

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

I have used android and use it for tablets and streaming boxes and find it good. No matter what phone you get if banking or purchasing stuff via apps always finish your payment clear phone history and password stuff. I use AVG tablet mobile and computer security and have had no problems with my phone at all security wise. I find Samsung by far the best in the mobile world.
STELIOSBWFC

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:01 am Agree with JB. My wife's new smart phone is the Huawei Smart P10, available for quite a bit less than the equivalent Samsung product. Though it might be considered a budget model, I was most impressed by it's quality and features as I was setting it up for my wife. We have always been a family of Samsung users, but not any more. My next phone will be the Huawei P20 Pro, which has Leica lenses and three cameras on the front, each performing a different function; important for my business use.

A recent newspaper review of smartphones which I read suggested that Huawei are having to provide more features/functions and at a lower price in order to break Apple and Samsung's stranglehold of the smartphone market. That's what caused us to check out Huawei...I'm glad we did.

Xiaomi (pronounced showme) phones are now also making huge inroads into the mobile market, especially in China; not sure whether they are available locally.
Hi HIC hope you are well. I will check this phone out as my daughter needs a replacement for Uni. Are the funcutions the same as andriod on the Huawei and what sort of memory does it have and camera function. Thanks John.
STELIOSBWFC

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:38 am Hi John, I'm good and hope you are too.

Our family in Cyprus (that's four of us) have always had Samsungs and been satisfied with the Android o/s. It was only after I read the newspaper article about Huawei that I though I should check out the brand's offering, rather that simply keep on buying Samsungs. By nature humans tend to be creatures of habit...and sometimes you have to make an effort to be open-minded and see what else is available in the marketplace, rather than simply going for 'same old, same old'. Being a technophobe, my wife didn't want anything too technical, though I would say that in most respects her phone is every bit as good as - if not better than - my now ageing Samsung S5. The price was a bargain. As soon as I started setting it up for use I wanted to switch brands; so too did daughter when she played with it the first time. It's ultra-slim, lightweight and lightning fast in every aspect. If you're familiar with Samsungs, you'll find the switch to Huawei effortless.

This is the spec for the P Smart: https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_p_smart-8961.php and this is the Huawei line-up: https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei-phones-f-58-0-r1-p1.php Which one you go for will largely be determined which models your local stores stock.

And this is the drop-dead gorgeous P20 Pro with triple front cameras and Leica optics: https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_p20_pro-9106.php
Ta for good information and I will look at this.
STELIOSBWFC

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

STELIOSBWFC wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:17 am
Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:38 am Hi John, I'm good and hope you are too.

Our family in Cyprus (that's four of us) have always had Samsungs and been satisfied with the Android o/s. It was only after I read the newspaper article about Huawei that I though I should check out the brand's offering, rather that simply keep on buying Samsungs. By nature humans tend to be creatures of habit...and sometimes you have to make an effort to be open-minded and see what else is available in the marketplace, rather than simply going for 'same old, same old'. Being a technophobe, my wife didn't want anything too technical, though I would say that in most respects her phone is every bit as good as - if not better than - my now ageing Samsung S5. The price was a bargain. As soon as I started setting it up for use I wanted to switch brands; so too did daughter when she played with it the first time. It's ultra-slim, lightweight and lightning fast in every aspect. If you're familiar with Samsungs, you'll find the switch to Huawei effortless.

This is the spec for the P Smart: https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_p_smart-8961.php and this is the Huawei line-up: https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei-phones-f-58-0-r1-p1.php Which one you go for will largely be determined which models your local stores stock.

And this is the drop-dead gorgeous P20 Pro with triple front cameras and Leica optics: https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_p20_pro-9106.php
Ta for good information and I will look at this.
Huawei may be guilty of following some of the not-so-positive trends in the industry such as removing the headphone jack and having a notch on the screen, but we're glad the IR emitter is still on board. It's either Huawei or Xiaomi that you've got left to look to if you want to use your phone to control non-smart stuff around the house. Even the regular P20 won't do - you'll need to step up to the Pro we've got here.
Just read this HIC and have you had problems with the jack. Student music jack very important. What is the notch on the screen comment. Not sure what this means do you have any idea. Thanks John.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

My first smart phone is a Huawei, had it for 3 years now, no complaints and will probably buy another, when needed.
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy