Calling Trump A Nazi Is Its Own Kind Of Holocaust Denial

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
cyprusgrump

Calling Trump A Nazi Is Its Own Kind Of Holocaust Denial

Post by cyprusgrump »

An interesting read...
President Trump has done some rash, bad things since he took power three weeks ago. But his critics have done something rasher. Something even more bereft of reason than Trump’s orders and tweets. Something more likely to stoke prejudice.

They’ve reduced the Holocaust to a meme.

They have used and abused the greatest crime in history to underscore their contempt for Trump, comparing him to Hitler, talking of his travel ban in the same breath as the Nazis’ persecution of Jews, warning darkly that ‘we know how this ends’. And in the process they’ve relativised the Holocaust. They’ve normalised it. They have dented its gravity and uniqueness by presenting it as a routine, recurring feeling in history that currently finds expression in ‘Trumpism’. They have turned the extermination of Europe’s Jews into an exclamation mark to their angst over Trump, and that is unforgivable. Morally, politically and historically, it is worse than anything Trump has done so far.
Clicky...
keving

Re: Calling Trump A Nazi Is Its Own Kind Of Holocaust Denial

Post by keving »

cyprusgrump wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:00 pm An interesting read...
President Trump has done some rash, bad things since he took power three weeks ago. But his critics have done something rasher. Something even more bereft of reason than Trump’s orders and tweets. Something more likely to stoke prejudice.

They’ve reduced the Holocaust to a meme.

They have used and abused the greatest crime in history to underscore their contempt for Trump, comparing him to Hitler, talking of his travel ban in the same breath as the Nazis’ persecution of Jews, warning darkly that ‘we know how this ends’. And in the process they’ve relativised the Holocaust. They’ve normalised it. They have dented its gravity and uniqueness by presenting it as a routine, recurring feeling in history that currently finds expression in ‘Trumpism’. They have turned the extermination of Europe’s Jews into an exclamation mark to their angst over Trump, and that is unforgivable. Morally, politically and historically, it is worse than anything Trump has done so far.
Clicky...
Well, he started it.

For a man who doesn't drink, in his late night tweets he gives the impression of a man who likes a jar or three. Not a nice man. No.

>>> http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politic ... -1.2943473

>>> "The next President horrified Jewish groups Wednesday with a tweet that likened the leak of an unverified opposition report to living in “Nazi Germany.” Pressed about the analogy in a news conference, Trump only escalated the Third Reich rhetoric..."
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

keving wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:32 pm Well, he started it.
Given that was January 11th he clearly didn't start it did he...? :roll:

Insert coin to play again... ;)
OhSusana

Post by OhSusana »

I got an email from a good American friend yesterday. He said that Trump's bedside reading was making the news on twitter that day.
I must admit, I didn't know about this, but here is something from the Independent. -

Donald Trump kept a book of Hitler's speeches by his bed, according to his ex-wife
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 65391.html

When Brenner asked Trump about how he came to possess Hitler's speeches, "Trump hesitated" and then said, "Who told you that?"
"I don't remember," Brenner reportedly replied.
Trump then recalled, "Actually, it was my friend Marty Davis from Paramount who gave me a copy of 'Mein Kampf,' and he's a Jew."
Brenner added that Davis did acknowledge that he gave Trump a book about Hitler.
"But it was 'My New Order,' Hitler's speeches, not 'Mein Kampf,'" Davis reportedly said. "I thought he would find it interesting. I am his friend, but I'm not Jewish."

Interesting that Trump initially didn't answer the question - "Who told you that?"
Anyway - big news yesterday, today in the USA.
Of course, when this story broke nobody was too interested in it - but now... all is different. He's the Pres!
keving

Post by keving »

cyprusgrump wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:42 pm

Trump made his Nazi reference on 11 January 2017.

"Spike" dated 9 February 2017 refers to comments made by his critics 'since he took power three weeks ago'

Unless you're presenting an alternative fact, I believe that 11 January is still before 20 January, as it always used to be.

Trump started it. No doubt about it. Only a person with an alternative agenda would dispute real facts. Sad.
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

keving wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:12 pm
cyprusgrump wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:42 pm

Trump made his Nazi reference on 11 January 2017.

"Spike" dated 9 February 2017 refers to comments made by his critics 'since he took power three weeks ago'

Unless you're presenting an alternative fact, I believe that 11 January is still before 20 January, as it always used to be.

Trump started it. No doubt about it. Only a person with an alternative agenda would dispute real facts. Sad.
You are aware of the invention called 'The Internet' aren't you...? :roll:

It is an amazing thing and it never forgets anything... :lol:

So if you for instance used Google to search for 'Trump Nazi' you will find references going waaaaaaay back beyond the Spike article...

Here, I've made a simple link for you...