Meu 1 is sufficient

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
tonee

Meu 1 is sufficient

Post by tonee »

So,after much discussion on this subject the Meu 1 will be sufficient according to the British Ambassador,stated in the letter posted by Dominic, I thought this would be the case.
Kili01

Re: Meu 1 is sufficient

Post by Kili01 »

I don’t think so. Although thr new BHC didn’t quote the actual form nos, the MEU1 is required by the Immigration dept for registration of anyone intending to stay here for periods longer than 3 months.
The MEU 3 is an application for permanent residency on the island,especially after Britain leaves the EU. To apply for permanent residency you need to have lived here for a minimum of 5 years.

Dee
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Dear oh dear! its a b****y minefield..The consensus in my local boozer amongst the ex pats who have been here for yonks say ignorit..Are the Cypriot authorities going to deport a goose that is laying the golden eggs.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Thats according to your ‘bar room’ advisors, but It’s what the BHC have recommended that British expats who want to go on living here post the Brexit should do... but it isn’t compulsary. So up to you.
Incidentally, I’ve been living here nearly 18 years......
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

It's not the length of time that counts, it's how you spend it.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
josef k

Post by josef k »

Chaddy wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 7:18 pm Dear oh dear! its a b****y minefield..The consensus in my local boozer amongst the ex pats who have been here for yonks say ignorit..Are the Cypriot authorities going to deport a goose that is laying the golden eggs.
Which golden eggs are these? The golden egg that is the Brits who insist on remaining in the UK tax system (yes, they do exist)? The golden egg that are the many Brits who don't earn enough to pay income tax? The golden egg that are the Brits who shop in the "British" shops, use a British garage to repair their car etc etc? The Brits that only spend half their time here?
Brits are not a golden egg. Perhaps they used to be when they came over here with their voluntary redundancy packages and a thirst for hastily built apartments. Now it is the Russians and Chinese who, by the way, are bringing millions more into the economy than the Brits do.

Brit tourists are an important part of the economy. Ex pats aren't these days.
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

Didn't I read somewhere that the CY Gov have outsourced Visa applications to a company who are setting up facilities in certain UK cities, to provide UK citizens with a visa if they intend to spend longer than 90 days in CY?
tonee

Post by tonee »

Quote from the commissioners letter"The agreement reached between the EU and Uk means UK nationals living in Cyprus will be able to carry on living,working or studying in Cyprus for as long as you want to.
Your rights to remain in Cyprus will be protected now.
How clear is that?Incidentally,we have been here 12 years now and no way will be going through the Immigration rigmarole again(done it twice) when its not needed,all to their own!
JB1

Post by JB1 »

It only costs €20 to get your MEU3A processed, I did mine yesterday. Joyce
Robert

Post by Robert »

For those with MEU1's - what date/s appear on your registration certificate. Do they record the date you entered Cyprus or do they just record the date of the registration interview/certificate issue?

I'm still living in the UK and want to leave my run to Cyprus as late as possible. Aim is to earn as much as possible in the UK while also making sure I gain all those pre-Brexit EU rights.
Robert

Post by Robert »

Hudswell wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:56 pm The date entered on the certificate is the date of issue.
Good to know, many thanks.

Can you register before you've been in Cyprus for 3 months?
Also, does anybody know the current waiting times for an appointment?
Robert

Post by Robert »

Hudswell wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:21 pm You can register as soon as you want, but when applying for your appointment ensure you take your passport along, I think we waited 6 weeks for our actual appointment.
That's good to know. Thanks again.
JimX

Post by JimX »

JB1 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 9:19 pm It only costs €20 to get your MEU3A processed, I did mine yesterday. Joyce
MEU3. I agree why ignore this, it is an easy procedure and may save you problems in the near future, just do it why all this fuss?.

The main thread on the MEU3 is in the "political section", it is important enough to be seen by all ex-pats I feel.
Jim.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I agree with you Jim. I don’t understand why some people are making such a fuss about getting an MEU3. I am waiting for my appointment now...As you say having a proper Residents Permit may prove very useful once Britian leaves the EU. Also it may become more difficult to get afterwards.
But of course it is optional...

Dee
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

josef k wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 4:18 pm
Chaddy wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 7:18 pm Dear oh dear! its a b****y minefield..The consensus in my local boozer amongst the ex pats who have been here for yonks say ignorit..Are the Cypriot authorities going to deport a goose that is laying the golden eggs.
Which golden eggs are these? The golden egg that is the Brits who insist on remaining in the UK tax system (yes, they do exist)? The golden egg that are the many Brits who don't earn enough to pay income tax? The golden egg that are the Brits who shop in the "British" shops, use a British garage to repair their car etc etc? The Brits that only spend half their time here?
Brits are not a golden egg. Perhaps they used to be when they came over here with their voluntary redundancy packages and a thirst for hastily built apartments. Now it is the Russians and Chinese who, by the way, are bringing millions more into the economy than the Brits do.

Brit tourists are an important part of the economy. Ex pats aren't these days.

Ok josef,are you seriously saying that if hypathetically.every ex pat living here took of back to the UK tomorrow it would not have an disastrous effect on the economy here. :? Thousands of houses suddenly for sale hence a collapse in house prices with the knock on effect the housing market has. :shock:
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Chaddy the golden days are over now. Many Brit expats have already left. In my area they are being replaced by affluent Russians, Chinese, Israelis and othe EU nationals from places such as Scandinavia, Holland, Germany and so on. The Russians and Chinese are the big spenders now.
When houses are sold they are finding buyers! Regardless of what you are saying.

Dee
lefkes

Post by lefkes »

Went to immigration ten days ago ,in and out in about an hour ,cost me 20 euros,well worth it for the peace of mind .Should get the MEU3 in a week or two.
Lefkes.
josef k

Post by josef k »

No, they want 5 years. I went to the Hellenic and explained what I wanted. They printed off 5 years worth there and then. It did cost 20 euros but hey ho.
josef k

Post by josef k »

Chaddy wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 8:25 am

Ok josef,are you seriously saying that if hypathetically.every ex pat living here took of back to the UK tomorrow it would not have an disastrous effect on the economy here. :? Thousands of houses suddenly for sale hence a collapse in house prices with the knock on effect the housing market has. :shock:
It would have an effect, of course. However, certainly not a disastrous one, and not as much as many ex-pats would like to believe. Lots of ex-pat owned houses are on the market already, with little effect on prices. Remember, Paphos isn't Cyprus. The rest of the island doesn't have such a density of Brits.
Last edited by josef k on Fri May 25, 2018 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tuppence

Post by Tuppence »

We were told that if you have tax returns dating back 5 or more years you don't need bank statements.