Your Circumstances Post the Vote

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Steve - SJD

Re: Your Circumstances Post the Vote

Post by Steve - SJD »

ApusApus wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:20 am Of course the referendum had an effect on the exchange rate but its not the only factor by a long way. If that was the case then we wouldn't have seen the plunge in 2008 when a referendum wasn't even a blip on the horizon?
In 2008 the financial crisis & banking collapse hit that was the reason for the drop - another
major event just like the Brexit referendum and with similar consequences.

Cheers

Steve
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Wasn't the banking crisis of 2008 a worldwide crisis caused by the subprime market in the US Steve https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Financial ... _2007–2008 :?

Perhaps a more accurate analysis of Sterling's plunge at the time can be found here https://www.economist.com/node/12814762 ..... still no Brexit in sight as far as I can see ;)

Shane
Steve - SJD

Post by Steve - SJD »

ApusApus wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:37 pm ..... still no Brexit in sight as far as I can see ;)
Yes I know - my point was that you were referencing the drop during a major worlwide financial crisis.
So yes the referendum wasn't on the horizon but there was a reason for that drop in 2008 which is often not noted.

Yes the post Brexit referendum drop is not unique as it happens when there is a major lack of confidence
in the financial markets - so not good news then and rather self-inflicted.

Cheers

Steve