Petition in support of Trump UK visit

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Wallace

Re: Petition in support of Trump UK visit

Post by Wallace »

Rita Sherry wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:01 pm Sensible people have not blocked President Trumps visit some people have signed a petition which Parliament in its infinite wisdom has agreed to consider along with the one supporting such a visit. The invitation to a State Visit was made by Her Majesty the Queen and they do not come more sensible than that lady whatever one's views of Royalty are and when I last looked she was still the Head of State. The Prime Minister merely extended the invitation on behalf of Her Majesty.

As has already been said we have had worse people making State Visits to the United Kingdom. Incidentally I am no fan of President Trump anymore than I am of his opponent Hilary Clinton (America deserved better than either in my humble opinion) but he was elected President like it or not.

Rita
Great post Rita!

Sums up my sentiments very eloquently.

Wallace
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

I didn't say they had actually blocked it..... but we all know that is what the petition is about, which is why I used that termination.

To be truthful, I wouldn't have wanted to have had to have made the choice of either of the candidates but what it does show is what a stupid system they have in electing a president in the USA when the person who receives the most votes is the one who loses :-/
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

That can happen in the UK too.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Wallace

Post by Wallace »

Petition pro the visit will not get near the 1.7 m or so who voted against.
However 215,000 have now signed. I still feel the silent majority, who have not signed, outnumber the anti brigade!
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

Wallace wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:36 pm Petition pro the visit will not get near the 1.7 m or so who voted against.
However 215,000 have now signed. I still feel the silent majority, who have not signed, outnumber the anti brigade!
You'd be right to feel that! :D

Almost half of Brits think the Trump state visit should go ahead
New YouGov data shows that just under half (49%) of Britons believe Donald Trump's proposed state visit later this year should go ahead, while over a third (36%) want it cancelled.

The visit, which will see the new president meet with the Queen, has provoked mass protests in the UK and has seen nearly 1.7m people sign the petition calling for the plug to be pulled on Trump's trip. It follows the president's controversial order banning refugees from various countries entering the US.
keving

Post by keving »

I feel that the majority of people who have not signed either petition would probably sign the petition cancelling the state visit ... if they were told that they had to sign one or the other
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

keving wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:31 pm I feel that the majority of people who have not signed either petition would probably sign the petition cancelling the state visit ... if they were told that they had to sign one or the other
I feel the opposite.
Geoff.
keving

Post by keving »

Amazing what one can feel when one is 2,000 miles away
Wallace

Post by Wallace »

geoffreys wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:34 pm
keving wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:31 pm I feel that the majority of people who have not signed either petition would probably sign the petition cancelling the state visit ... if they were told that they had to sign one or the other
I feel the opposite.
Geoff.
The statistics quoted by grump supports your feeling Geoff
keving

Post by keving »

Damn lies
Wallace

Post by Wallace »

Austin7 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:26 pm
keving wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:43 pm Just signed .... now up to 1,672,381
Surprised to see you've signed a petition in favour of Trump's visit. :shock:
He confused Trump with Bruce Springsteen!
Wallace

Post by Wallace »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:41 pm Austin 7: you misunderstand. The petition is to allow Trump to visit the UK, but not give him a ceremonial state visit, which would include a banquet and maybe staying overnight in Buckingham Palace. Plus possibly meet William and Kate.

Quite right too, no other American president has been accorded such a welcome so early into the office of POTUS. Most have had to wait years to be accorded this privilege. It's only because May is so desperate to make friends and curry favours that she made the offer early on.
And quite right she is HIC!
Wallace

Post by Wallace »

It will be a full ceremonial state visit.
Lynsab

Post by Lynsab »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:41 pm Austin 7: you misunderstand. The petition is to allow Trump to visit the UK, but not give him a ceremonial state visit, which would include a banquet and maybe staying overnight in Buckingham Palace. Plus possibly meet William and Kate.

Quite right too, no other American president has been accorded such a welcome so early into the office of POTUS. Most have had to wait years to be granted this privilege. It's only because May is so desperate to make friends and curry favours that she made the offer early on. Trump would lap up the photo-ops such a visit would grant.
In fact some past presidents never got a state visit, the ONLY reason the chump has is as plain as you say...desperate for some trade deal we hock our values to the bigot....normally if we have entertain such plonkers we are able to say...they're plonkers...this total ****** is being entertained because of the UKs desperate need for trade deals...how low we have sunk...

Given the cock ups he's already made in a short space of time, I can't wait to see what he does IF he gets his state visit granted...it will be a car crash waiting to happen.... :shock:

I'd just send him to soho for a visit I'm sure he'd be happier....and at ease...a fly on the wall when he's with her Madge would be glorious though.... :lol:

Women in a recent poll were more against him getting a state visit, plus most who think he should voted leave in the referendum....

Age was also a defining factor in how many people supported Trump's proposed visit, with more support for it the older the respondents were. Hmmmmmm
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Perhaps people would be happier if May didn't do her job in looking after Britain's best interests? Would you be happy then, because it would give people a chance to complain about how she wasn't doing her best?! She is trying to make sure Britain gets a trade deal with the USA, amongst other things, is that wrong?
keving

Post by keving »

Austin7 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:47 pm
Happy in Cyprus wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:41 pm Austin 7: you misunderstand. The petition is to allow Trump to visit the UK, but not give him a ceremonial state visit, which would include a banquet and maybe staying overnight in Buckingham Palace.
I didn't misunderstand - I think Keving did, he said he had signed (and this thread is about the petition to allow Trump to visit UK)- he went on to say the petition had now reached 1,672,381 signatures so he was getting confused about which petition was which. :lol:
No confusion as far as I am concerned.

This thread started life as as a discussion of the petition to support Trump's UK visit, but like all threads the discussion became wide ranging and at 3.12pm yesterday we started talking about the petition to stop the State visit.

My post, saying that I had signed the petition, was a response to the aforementioned post at 3.12pm.

My quote of the number of signatures being in excess of 1.6m should have let people know which petition I was talking about.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

By the Grump

Quote:
Petition pro the visit will not get near the 1.7 m or so who voted against.
You'd be right to feel that! :D

Almost half of Brits think the Trump state visit should go ahead
Quote:
New YouGov data shows that just under half (49%) of Britons believe Donald Trump's proposed state visit later this year should go ahead, while over a third (36%) want it cancelled.

The visit, which will see the new president meet with the Queen, has provoked mass protests in the UK and has seen nearly 1.7m people sign the petition calling for the plug to be pulled on Trump's trip. It follows the president's controversial order banning refugees from various countries entering the US.
================================================
So, a poll that would have checked with around 1500 people at most, from a polling company who have been getting further and further from accuracy in the modern era, carries more weight than the actual signers of two petitions, which show almost 90% more in favour of banning Trump's royal reception.....?

I think pollsters need to somehow get closer to the vast influence social media now has..... that's why Trump got elected, when the polls had him way behind..... like Brexit.... even Farage was prepared to concede that evening as he listened to polls.....
keving

Post by keving »

266,764 v 1,824,578