Bizarre car theft Peyia NY Eve/Day

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Lincoln

Re: Bizarre car theft Peyia NY Eve/Day

Post by Lincoln »

What a terrible thing to happen. probably taken to a scrappy (hideaway) for spare parts. Hope not and that it is recovered in good health.
All things are possible
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

That's good news, Flossie! Did Fiona leave her keys in the ignition and the doors unlocked?

I only ask, because you say her car was found undamaged. When my old 1995 Corsa was nicked from the pub car park (while I was inside enjoying a pint of IPA after a hard day's graft), when the Old Bill found my car (which the low-life thieves had used for a robbery 20 miles away), the damage was sufficient enough for my Insurers to want to make it a write-off!

The toe rags had used a large screwdriver to punch a hole through the drivers door panel by the lock. Then levered up the door lock mechanism. Once inside, they forced the steering wheel to shear the steering lock, then hot-wired the ignition key and away they went...

The insurers reckoned that a new door panel, plus paint, plus new steering column etc amounted to more than my car was actually worth, and offered me a write-off value. I declined and got it all sorted locally for £200- so my little Corsa lived to see another day.

AL :?
Gone but not forgotten...
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Flossie wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:52 pm Sorry Sherlock but you were wrong - car found undamaged parked up in Coral Bay!

Perhaps someone didn't have any taxi money?!!
Excellent news so pleased for you. :D
All things are possible
JimX

Post by JimX »

Actual car theft in Cyprus is very unusual, only known of a few in twenty years, one was a truck a few houses up from ours, never found, we think stripped for spares.

Very happy the CRV was found and with no damage. who had the key?
Jim.
Steve Matthews

Post by Steve Matthews »

They didn't drive it to the pub to celebrate New Years Eve and then get a taxi back, forgetting all about the car, did they? 😉
WHL

Post by WHL »

Friend of ours Picked up a brand new VW polo from the dealers, it was a surprise 21st birthday present for his daughter, on the way home he stopped to pick up a Birthday cake from the Bakery, he left the engine running with the keys in, while in the bakery no more then 2-3 minutes, because the cake had been ordered and payed for, he saw the car being driven off, unfortunately for him he honestly told the Police he had left the keys in, so the Insurance didnt pay up, the Police told him it was taken over to the north side, and that a few cars had been taken, all from outside Bakerys in Larnaka with their keys left in them....and all had been taken across to the north, this was a couple of years ago...lesson learned and the best part of 15 grand down the swanny.
Last edited by WHL on Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
JimX

Post by JimX »

Vicky.

Compared to what other country?, I'll say this again car theft is very low on Cyprus, in fact I have only ever heard of a few in Pafos area. One was our neighbours Mitsubishi truck, never to be seen again. After all where can a thief take them? usually they are used for spare parts stripping.
Jim.
memory man

Post by memory man »

Over 1,000 cars stolen since 2014, half recovered

During the past three and a half years, 1,117 vehicles were reported stolen in Cyprus of which 594 were located by police, according to stats obtained by the Cyprus Mail.

The largest number of stolen vehicles was reported in Limassol, followed by Nicosia, Larnaca and Paphos, respectively.

During the period, there had been a steady decrease however.

According to the data, 405 vehicles were stolen in 2014 of which 197 were found by police, whereas in 2015, some 321 vehicles were stolen and 157 found.

In 2016, 306 were reported stolen and 188 found. During the first months of 2017, some 85 vehicles were stolen and 52 were located.

Police spokesman, Andreas Angelides, told the Cyprus Mail that the steady decrease is due to the development of new technology and the various advance systems which are now available to the police, as well as the public information campaigns.

“When a vehicle theft is reported, all patrol cars are immediately informed. Apart from this, we also have the new ANPR detecting system, which automatically updates our systems. So, when a vehicle is scanned by ANPR, it immediately shows if it was reported missing or stolen,” Angelides said.
He also noted that people are now more aware than they were in the past in terms of securing their property, although there are still some issues and measures that need to be taken.
“When a citizen becomes aware of the theft of his/her vehicle, he/she should immediately report it to the police by calling at 1460 before going to the Police station to testify, as this will give us the opportunity to act in time.”

Moreover, Angelides added that in many cases, stolen cars are taken and sold in the north, or, even worse, used in criminal acts.

Ιnvestigations in the north are done through the bicommunal technical committee on crime and criminal matters.

“Another issue that concerns the police, is to prevent the use of stolen vehicles in criminal acts. There have been many cases where stolen cars were used in theft or burglary offences and, in some cases, found later burned,” he concluded.

http://cyprus-mail.com/2017/06/08/1000- ... recovered/
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

In 2016, over 75000 cars we stolen in England and Wales. In Cyprus, 306 were stolen.

England and Wales pop 58000000. Cyprus pop 1820000

England and Wales pop per theft: 58000000 / 75000 = 773.3

Cyprus pop per theft: 1820000 / 306 = 5947.7

Chance of getting car nicked in England and Wales compared to Cyprus = 5947.7 / 773.3 = 7.7

Ie you are nearly 8 times more likely to get your car nicked in England and Wales than in Cyprus
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Don't think population of Cyprus is 1.820.000 I think it's 1.182.000.
Louise :)
smudger

Post by smudger »

And sticking your head in the sand and pretending that Cyprus doesn't have a problem with car theft is naive in the extreme. It's virtually as rife here as in the UK.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

If cars are being stolen in the south and then driven over to the north (to be lost forever), then this would surely suggest that there is something very wrong with the south's border controls, as regards car ownership and so on?

Gone but not forgotten...
Paulo

Post by Paulo »

Al, I believe all they have to do is swap the number plates. I suppose we can't expect the border guards to check the VPN's of every vehicle going through otherwise there would be gridlock at the border.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Ok, so my calculations were wrong. Serves me right for trying to do them late at night on a tablet. But even if you take it at 800000 you are still nearly 4 times as likely to have your car nicked in England. To say it is virtually as rife as the UK is just plain guff.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

A car going to the Nth Cyprus TRNC has to produce a document of ownership in order to get the 3rd party insurance and the Passport/ID Card is scanned onto the computer as well. So how are they getting the cars over to the nth?
All things are possible
memory man

Post by memory man »

Car stolen from rental shop
JANUARY 2ND, 2018

A €17,000 vehicle was stolen from outside a car rental shop in the early hours of Tuesday morning, according to a report filed to police.

Between 1:30am and 7:20am, the car rental store in Paphos was broken into and a car key was stolen, police said in a statement.

According to the shop owner, the culprits then used the key to steal a grey Ford Focus, worth around €17,000 with registration number plates MTP093.

The vehicle was parked outside the store and the culprits drove off.

Paphos police continue investigations.

http://cyprus-mail.com/2018/01/02/car-s ... ntal-shop/
WHL

Post by WHL »

PaphosAL wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:21 am If cars are being stolen in the south and then driven over to the north (to be lost forever), then this would surely suggest that there is something very wrong with the south's border controls, as regards car ownership and so on?

The ones stolen in the East are taken through the SBAs nothing to do with Cypriot border controls?
WHL

Post by WHL »

Hudswell wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:40 am Do the SBA authorities control any crossing points?
Are you for real? Bit early too be drinking isnt it...go troll someone else :roll:
Paulo

Post by Paulo »

Lincoln wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:12 am A car going to the Nth Cyprus TRNC has to produce a document of ownership in order to get the 3rd party insurance and the Passport/ID Card is scanned onto the computer as well. So how are they getting the cars over to the nth?
They definitely don't check ownership, I've used a friends car in the past to cross the border and never been asked to produce ownership documentation.

[/quote]
The ones stolen in the East are taken through the SBAs nothing to do with Cypriot border controls?
[/quote]

Do you have any evidence of this ir is it just another of you're alternative facts?
WHL

Post by WHL »

Paulo wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:51 am
Lincoln wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:12 am A car going to the Nth Cyprus TRNC has to produce a document of ownership in order to get the 3rd party insurance and the Passport/ID Card is scanned onto the computer as well. So how are they getting the cars over to the nth?
They definitely don't check ownership, I've used a friends car in the past to cross the border and never been asked to produce ownership documentation.
[/quote]

Do you have any evidence of this ir is it just another of you're alternative facts?
[/quote]
Are you addressing this to me?