Visiting hours at Paphos General Hospital

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
kansas

Visiting hours at Paphos General Hospital

Post by kansas »

Does anyone know the visiting hours for the Surgical Ward in the General?

Thanks in advance
RattyPatty

Re: Visiting hours at Paphos General Hospital

Post by RattyPatty »

Don't think there are any set times or if there are they are not enforced. When my husband was in there in November I went up about 10.30, 3.00 and back again about 6.00pm. There were always visitors there.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, when I have been there visiting friends in various wards, there seems to be no special visiting hours, visitors - friends and family of patients, just seem to drift in and out...
A complete contrast to most UK hospitals. Probably one of the reasons is that nurses there seldom do any personal care for patients who are there. That is usually done by the Cypriot family of the patient concerned. Sometimes there even seems to be a shift system with various people taking a turn at looking after the patient. Be that washing them, or bringing in home made meals for them. There is a microwave available where food can be reheated.
Dee
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Crikey, Dee! Doesn't sound too good for a lone traveller who may end up in there for whatever reason, does it? With no Cypriot family to take care, I mean. What happens then, I wonder?

AL :?
Gone but not forgotten...
WHL

Post by WHL »

PaphosAL wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:04 pm Crikey, Dee! Doesn't sound too good for a lone traveller who may end up in there for whatever reason, does it? With no Cypriot family to take care, I mean. What happens then, I wonder?

AL :?
Dont worry , me and a couple of mates, will visit and give you a bed bath :lol:
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Thanks! But what about grub to stick in the microwave? :?
Gone but not forgotten...
JimX

Post by JimX »

Alan, you will be having insurance I take? if so you will be in a private hospital, and having spent two weeks in the Iasis it is almost like a good hotel, except for the food, it was at that time awful, but you will survive, the Russian male nurse who gave me a bed bath was huge, so no arguments from me just let him get on with it. :?

Be well, keep healthy.
Jim.
darrow

Post by darrow »

Personal care does not exist in the General, along with visiting hours. MOH said there where people there late at night, as many as 6 at a time around a bed.All the personal care gear which was in the bedside locker remained unused, until my visit. No one bothered when i collected a bowl of hot water from the sluice room! it appears to be the norm! :shock:
RattyPatty

Post by RattyPatty »

Jim I think you will find that most travel insurance policies do not pay for treatment in a private hospital. In countries that have a reciprocal agreement with the UK you are expected to show your EHIC card and use the same facilities as the residents.

I highlighted this when my husband needed to be admitted urgently on a Saturday evening. Didn't know where to take him but chose the General on the grounds that A & E would be staffed. When I checked our policy later it would not have covered private treatment (This was not a cheap policy. It cost over £400 annually). Other people wrote that they had been caught out or weren't aware.

Pat
lefkes

Post by lefkes »

Kili01 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:54 pm Yes, when I have been there visiting friends in various wards, there seems to be no special visiting hours, visitors - friends and family of patients, just seem to drift in and out...
A complete contrast to most UK hospitals. Probably one of the reasons is that nurses there seldom do any personal care for patients who are there. That is usually done by the Cypriot family of the patient concerned. Sometimes there even seems to be a shift system with various people taking a turn at looking after the patient. Be that washing them, or bringing in home made meals for them. There is a microwave available where food can be reheated.
Dee
When my wife was in the general hospital for 5 weeks in June after a fall from a spiral staircase having broken her legs and an arm she received excellent treatment . Her bed sheets and nightdress were changed every day , three meals a day, toast for breakfast with cheese ,honey or jam,a lunch and evening meal of pork,chicken or fish {they also fed me as I was there for 12 hours every day]. The intensive surgery she underwent was done by a young surgeon who was very caring and was in and out of the ward from 10 am until well into the evening .We cannot complain in any way . She is now well on the way to a full recovery , walking without a stick and we bless the General hospital for being there .Lefkes.
WHL

Post by WHL »

When my wife was in the general hospital for 5 weeks in June after a fall from a spiral staircase having broken her legs and an arm she received excellent treatment . Her bed sheets and nightdress were changed every day , three meals a day, toast for breakfast with cheese ,honey or jam,a lunch and evening meal of pork,chicken or fish {they also fed me as I was there for 12 hours every day]. The intensive surgery she underwent was done by a young surgeon who was very caring and was in and out of the ward from 10 am until well into the evening .We cannot complain in any way . She is now well on the way to a full recovery , walking without a stick and we bless the General hospital for being there .Lefkes.
[/quote]
Good to hear, some positive news,about the Hospital.
JimX

Post by JimX »

[quote=RattyPatty post_id=45494 time=1513759722 user_id=95]
Jim I think you will find that most travel insurance policies do not pay for treatment in a private hospital. In countries that have a reciprocal agreement with the UK you are expected to show your EHIC card and use the same facilities as the residents.

Pat not the case, a good friend of mine had good medical travel insurance, with a really bad chest infection he was taken to the Blue Cross and he was indeed covered with his insurance, if fact he was asked what hospital he wanted treatment, he was in there for ten days all paid for on his medical insurance, now I have not flown for the last seventeen years so I have no experience of insurance cover, but if I did I would ensure that you are covered at any private hospital for any treatment also, now like many others I cannot afford private medical insurance, no choice but to use the local General, but it is in need of a major overall, it is in a bad way.
Last edited by JimX on Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim.
lefkes

Post by lefkes »

PaphosAL wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:35 am Thanks! But what about grub to stick in the microwave? :?
Hi, AL you don,t have to worry as many of the takeaway companies have been seen in and out of the wards at midnight . Lefkes.
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

Our Staysure policy does not cover us for private hospitals in countries were there is a reciprocal agreement. However, they did pay for Rosemary's treatment when she was bitten by an insect and had an allergic reaction. She ended up at the Blue Cross Hospital on an antibiotic drip. At the time, we had not read the smallprint of the policy and we were lucky the bill was not questioned.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes! I think that what previous posters have said relates to the Orthopaedic ward, two friends of mine have had knee or hip replacements.I visited them in this ward and the attitude here is refreshingly different. They both said that they were being well looked after, except for the food provided. The ward itself looked clean. The other ward which reports from friends say is v good is the intensive care. An uneven standard in nursing care to patients, cleanliness and the way different wards appear to be run is apparent.

Dee
kansas

Post by kansas »

Thanks for your input. We visited our friend in the Orthopaedic Ward at around 1130 and there were lots of visitors around. The nurses were very obliging and friendly. The whole area was clean and our friend said she had been well looked after. Her lunch arrived while we were there and it looked very appetising - decent sized pork fillet, mash and carrots and peas, with soup, yogurt and some bread. There does appear to be shortage of knives though so it's usually a fork and spoon which makes cutting into meat problematic! The food is frequently served cold but there is a microwave in the small kitchen area so that was easily remedied.
Pchome

Post by Pchome »

Having just come out of the general let me get a few things straight, the food was very good better than some restaurants, one day pork chop and rice another burger and another chicken leg, if you want family to bring in food then they can, you don't get a choice but what the chef decides to cook is done well, and if you are registered and have a white card it costs almost nothing.
kansas

Post by kansas »

A lot of people complain about the food served at the General. My OH was an in patient recently and I have to say the food was not at all bad. It's bland and free of salt because it needs to appeal to all sorts of digestive systems. I noticed that the tomatoes had the seeds removed and I didn't see any onion but it was all good nourishing food albeit just slightly warm if you were lucky, cold if not! When you're bedridden for several days it's the right type of food IMHO. I ate most of my OH's lunch and I have to say that I felt better for it!