Pound/ Euro

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
cyprusgrump

Re: Pound/ Euro

Post by cyprusgrump »

Dominic wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:19 pm You know the BBC is doing something right because everybody thinks it is against them.
The only reason you think the BBC (or any of the other MSM come to that) is unbiased is because its bias matches yours...
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I didn't say I don't think the BBC is biased. I said they must be doing something right if everybody thinks they are biased against them.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

Dominic wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:13 pm I didn't say I don't think the BBC is biased. I said they must be doing something right if everybody thinks they are biased against them.
Good, we are in agreement again - the BBC is completely biased in many areas.

I'm not sure 'everybody' thinks they are biased against them though, Certainly Remòaners can't possibly believe that the BBC is biased against their point of view. Nor those that would call for sugar taxes, alcohol taxes, duty increases on cigarettes or those that think we are doomed because of 'global warming'... ;)
Last edited by cyprusgrump on Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wallace

Post by Wallace »

Back to my original post, pound now up again to 1.758.
I am hacked of at this currency manipulation, which is purely profit driven.
Nothing unexpected has happened in the last few days, yet a swing in currency has occurred, profiteering at its worse!

Wallace
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

You might want to correct that figure. :lol:
Wallace

Post by Wallace »

Dominic, you spotted the deliberate mistake!
1. 1758
1.1763 now
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I think it shows, more than anything, that what people don't like is uncertainty. Knowing one way or the other is more manageable than not knowing.
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

Dominic wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:49 pm I think it shows, more than anything, that what people don't like is uncertainty. Knowing one way or the other is more manageable than not knowing.
I think it shows that the prophesies of the Brexit doom mongers were completely baseless...

£=€1.17
FTSE100 = Highest ever
FTSE250 = Highest ever
DOW = Highest ever
johnoddy

Post by johnoddy »

Grumps, you really know how to make HiC p#ssed-off dontcha!
panoscouse

Post by panoscouse »

cyprusgrump wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:53 pm
Dominic wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:49 pm I think it shows, more than anything, that what people don't like is uncertainty. Knowing one way or the other is more manageable than not knowing.
I think it shows that the prophesies of the Brexit doom mongers were completely baseless...

£=€1.17
FTSE100 = Highest ever
FTSE250 = Highest ever
DOW = Highest ever
All very well if your investments are linked to those exchanges but in reality in means very little as they are bound to rise as the value of the pound falls. Company's in the footsie etc are mainly valued in dollars and will always rise when the pound falls.
£ = €1.17
Tell me what was it before the silly vote?
Before you reply please note that I couldn't care less if the UK is in or out of the EU, just concerned about the value of sterling.
That's what effects us pensioners in Cyprus not the disillusionment of gung Ho saber rattling.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Can't you sleep HIC? I think we can all guess who your e mail was from!
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Google written question 60094. I think this shows the Brexit as an opportunity for the UK government to grab pension money and to blame the EU.
Last edited by Jim B on Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Conoflex

Post by Conoflex »

Bank of England forecasts in November were for inflation to be hovering around 2.5% in 2017- 2018- both 0.5% above target rate. If someone is saying 4% they are either making it up or deliberately exaggerating it

If inflation does get too high the BofE can raise interest rates - which in turn will put upward pressure on Sterling (the interest rate cut they implemented after the Brexit vote was premature and needless and the economy is growing fast enough to withstand an increase) It might even help slow down run away house prices (which of course were going to collapse post vote as well :roll: ) That would if course make Mark Carney look even sillier, so he'll probably do everything possible to avoiding doing it

I don't know what the ST predicted post vote, but I predicted Sterling falling to 1.18 against the Euro levelling off at abut 1.22. That would hvae been pretty close I reckon if it hadn't been for the doomsday scenarios, that B of E decision to cut interest rates and the computer error that caused the flash drop- all that on top of the uncertainty was always going to cause wild fluctuations and has as led to the current roller coaster

Sterling had been over valued for some time, the Brexit vote did trigger a very rapid fall in it and it will now settle at a level that best suits the economy.

Any sort of talk of some sort of Sterling crisis is quite frankly cobblers
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:08 am
cypruschump wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:53 pmI think it shows that the prophesies of the Brexit doom mongers were completely baseless... £=€1.17
FTSE100 = Highest ever
FTSE250 = Highest ever
DOW = Highest ever
I guess you were equally jubilant on the recent peaks, each of which was followed by a sobering decline:
I find it amazing that in one discussion thread you argue that Brexit hasn't happened yet and then a few posts after produce a chart showing what you claim to be the disastrous effects of Brexit! :lol:

Anyway, if you take a slightly longer-term view of that same chart you can see that Canoflex is probably right about the Pound finding its own level.
Attachments
euro.jpg
euro.jpg (95.41 KiB) Viewed 5231 times
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

Poppy wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:21 am Can't you sleep HIC? I think we can all guess who your e mail was from!
Yes! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

According to a report in the Telegraph Britain has the fastest growing economy in Western world. Obviously something is going right somewhere then.
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

For Happy In Cyprus and other "Remainers".
What you should be doing is just accept the referendum result and get behind it by supporting it and supporting the UK Govt
in implementing it.
Not doing so is probably why you have been "shouted down".
I know the feeling! As a Brexiteer I was shouted down on forums when I was making the case for Brexit before the referendum.
It will be alright on the night as they say.....
Geoff.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Geoff

So was I, funny old world isn't it !

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

I don't see 'shouting down' to be honest... :roll:

I see fairly vigorous debate but you can't expect that your opinion on a subject like this will be universally shared...
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

CG

Very true.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.