Fireworks

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Alfie

Fireworks

Post by Alfie »

Can you buy fireworks in Cyprus? I would imagine that the risk of fire would curtail the use of rockets etc, but what about things like catherine wheels and roman candles?
Band

Re: Fireworks

Post by Band »

Only very small ones. Anything else need to be an organised display by a licensed operator.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

The only time when 'home made' fireworks may be seen and/or heard is in the week before the Greek Easter! They produce rockets and bangers mainly. It can be a very dangerous time as these illegal fireworks can sometimes cause burns, injuries as well as fires!
It is probably just as well that the sale of fireworks is generally not allowed for most of the year. The exception being for large, licensed and well organised fireworks displays.
exodus

Post by exodus »

I understand that all types can be bought in the occupied area of Cyprus, but bringing them back into the Republic is not allowed (if you get caught that is!).
Amos.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

@exodus: Hi my friend! As you now live in Zygi, just reflect on the containers full of high explosives parked in scorching sunlight at the naval base there, right next door to the power station...

Fireworks are definately not a good idea in Cyprus, IMHO, apart from organized controlled and licensed public displays. Local domestic events not only scare the s*its out of all the neighbouring dogs cats and horses, but also present a real threat of wild fires in the nearby tinder-dry countryside.

Cheers- AL :)
Gone but not forgotten...
Band

Post by Band »

exodus wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:56 pm I understand that all types can be bought in the occupied area of Cyprus, but bringing them back into the Republic is not allowed (if you get caught that is!).
If you know that fireworks are banned in the Republic, why post intimating that you should smuggle them from the North?
Alfie

Post by Alfie »

So that's a "no" to fireworks then. Thanks for the replies anyway. At least I will save a few quid.
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

There is a bonfire and fireworks display at Episkopi Base on Saturday 4th November.

http://akrotirihive.blogspot.com.cy/201 ... splay.html
2QuarterPints

Post by 2QuarterPints »

Perhaps once or twice a week, since we arrived in July, there have been firework displays which we see/hear in Universal. They are in the direction of the hotels along the seafront, heading out towards Geroskipou, and we have always assumed they are part of someone's wedding celebrations.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Not so risky when they are on the coast and launched over the sea, Dave.

What sort of timings did you hear? Mid to late evening, in relatively short bursts lasting 5 mins or so? Or really loud bangs at silly o'clock, disturbing your sleep?

AL :?
Gone but not forgotten...
Band

Post by Band »

D&PG wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:16 pm Perhaps once or twice a week, since we arrived in July, there have been firework displays which we see/hear in Universal. They are in the direction of the hotels along the seafront, heading out towards Geroskipou, and we have always assumed they are part of someone's wedding celebrations.
They would be the fireworks on Wavedancer, when she is moored up off Riccos Beach.
2QuarterPints

Post by 2QuarterPints »

You are right Al. Usually about 9, 9.30'ish in the evening and Band your comment about the Wavedancer will be spot on as Ricco's is in exactly the right direction.
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Very good fireworks on Wavedancer,well worth an evening out if you get the chance when the weather is warm again. And dancing is easy as it turns towards the harbour - just stand in the middle of the deck and let physics do the rest. That's my story anyway!
Alfie

Post by Alfie »

Thanks for all the tips. That sounds like my kind of dancing.