Moving to paphos

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Zaknumber1

Moving to paphos

Post by Zaknumber1 »

Hi I've just split up from my wife of 20 years and am hoping to move to paphos I'm looking for advice on areas to look to buy an apartment am looking for a 2 bed fairly central as I don't want to have to buy a car. Somewhere off tomb of the kings road maybe I will have around £100k and am hoping to buy and have some money left over to live on as I only want to work part time if I can and I want to get involved in all the events and social life paphos has to offer. Any advice would be appreciated
Iam coming over for a week 21st October staying at the kefalonitis apartments so I may see some of you whilst I'm there ? If I do I will buy you a beer
Thanks Keith
Kili01

Re: Moving to paphos

Post by Kili01 »

Welcome Keith,
There are lots of apartments for sale at the moment in and around Paphos. The best thing is to have a good look around while you are here.
Tomb of the Kings and also Universal area of Paphos which has lots of apartment blocks is very central to Paphos and is on a bus route. But I advise you to rent an apartment for at least 6 months before you think of buying one. That's the best way to discover your preferred location.
You say that you want to work part time, I would check out what is available as wages are low and its the end of the main tourist season. That's unless you have a special skill which is in demand here. A car is advisable as the bus service is limited really to the coastal area between Paphos and Coral Bay.
Good luck!
Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

We stayed in this area for a couple of months when we first moved:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/34%C2 ... 32.4251335

You can walk to the harbour easily enough, and the shops are close by too.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Part time work is very hard to come by, I second with what Kili01 says.
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
emgee

Post by emgee »

There are no Government handouts in Cyprus, you will need proof of income if you intend to stay here permanently.

Good luck.

Alan
Zaknumber1

Post by Zaknumber1 »

Thanks for the info
Am hoping to have maybe £25k for living expenses would that prove difficult to be allowed to stay?
I may be able to get by for a couple of years without working but I don't want to work full time if I can help it would it be difficult to find work for say 2 days a week in a bar of restaurant?
I know we are coming to the end of the tourist season but was hoping to get a head start on finding work if I was there already ?
Or do you think it would be better to wait until march /April next year to re locate ?
Renting sounds like a great idea
Is there anywhere you recommend I look round when I'm in Paphos next Saturday apart from the bars ? Or a bar that is friendly that I could met up with some expats to have a beer and a chat ?
Once again many thanks
Keith
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Hello and welcome. YES!! there is work available and there always will be. Especialy in Bars, cafes and restaurants. It is a matter of getting a round and asking everyone you meet.

25k is good. When you come to register for residency they officials will give you a list of all the necessary documents that you will need.

You will have to prove who you are basicly. :D And show that you can support yourself.
All things are possible
WHL

Post by WHL »

Come over, rent, ask about for work etc, after about a month the novelty might wear off and you decide Cyprus is not for you....In my opinion if you want the same quality of life here as you have in England, then it will cost you the same amount of money, work wise employers can find non skilled eastern Europeans/foreign students etc who will work for low wages, good luck, but remember cash goes faster when your in Holiday mode.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Just a thought, depending on your skills, you could be self employed perhaps. Lots of elderly ex pats will pay for the services of a reliable Brit.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
William Morris

Post by William Morris »

Zak, are you sure your motives are genuine? It sounds a bit like you want to get away because of your marriage split. If that is the case then just take an extended holiday.
It is a big step to consider buying when clearly you have not thought about it very strongly.

I would advise you to take a deep breath and think again.

Firefly, do you mean like "cash in hand" work, "under the radar" type stuff?? I think that is bad advice to offer.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

If you go self-employed, you will have to register to pay your Social Insurance contributions.
If you work as an employed person, your employer should make the Social Insurance deductions from your salary and pay it into your personal fund.
Either way, working without being registered with an SI number is illegal....

It doesn't work like UK.... if you are not covered by Social Insurance, you will be responsible for your own medical bills. It's something you need to think about very seriously.

Yes indeed, take an extended holiday and see how you feel about the place after a couple of months before you go in with both feet first.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
JimX

Post by JimX »

Zaknumber1 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:54 am Thanks for the info
Am hoping to have maybe £25k for living expenses would that prove difficult to be allowed to stay?
No problems at all with the €28K that will not be a stopper to live here, many of us manage with a lot less, but do take notice of what the members are saying to you.
Jim.
Aargent

Post by Aargent »

Allesley wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:46 am
Zaknumber1 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:54 am Thanks for the info
No problems at all with the €28K that will not be a stopper to live here, many of us manage with a lot less, but do take notice of what the members are saying to you.
The way I read it Jim is that the £ 25K is a lump sum not an annual income so two years at most. Perhaps I am wrong.
Alastair

Nil illigitimi carborundum
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I too thought it referred to a lump sum..
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

William Morris wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:47 pm Zak, are you sure your motives are genuine? It sounds a bit like you want to get away because of your marriage split. If that is the case then just take an extended holiday.
It is a big step to consider buying when clearly you have not thought about it very strongly.

I would advise you to take a deep breath and think again.

Firefly, do you mean like "cash in hand" work, "under the radar" type stuff?? I think that is bad advice to offer.
I agree with you idiotic advice to give, if thats whats being suggested?, a couple of weeks ago a painter and decorator I know has been caught by the authorities for not declaring any work his done for years, and my neighbors daughter works for the Tax office, she tells me they are taking an interest in people working the Sunday markets with out declaring any thing, and I think when Brexit comes, they will be taking more interest in what expats do for income.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

I think both William and WHL are perhaps jumping to conclusions. Jackie suggested self employment may be an option.She did not suggest this could be done illegally. Photolady then went on to advise what you need to do if you are self employed. All good advice I would suggest?
WHL

Post by WHL »

Poppy wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:00 am I think both William and WHL are perhaps jumping to conclusions. Jackie suggested self employment may be an option.She did not suggest this could be done illegally. Photolady then went on to advise what you need to do if you are self employed. All good advice I would suggest?
I would suggest you read what I actually wrote before jumping in once again. :roll:

Quote....if thats whats being suggested?,
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Anyway, let's keep personalities out of this thread please. :)
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
josef k

Post by josef k »

Hi Keith,

There is a lot we don't know about you, of course, so our advice has to be based on assumptions. I don't want to poor water on your plans, but I also don't want to see you living on the beach relying on handouts like some Brits have.

The way I read your posts, the 25k you mention is a lump sum. From that I assume you don't have a provable income. What that means is that Immigration won't accept your application and your legal stay will be limited to 3 months. If you stay longer you will be illegal. Not such an issue for Brits at the moment, but come Brexit things may well change.
Another issue is healthcare. As you were married for 20 years, I am assuming you are not receiving a state pension from the UK. What that means is that you will have to rely on private medical provision. Therefore you will need medical insurance, which also happens to be a further requirement of immigration. You would be foolish in the extreme to go without.
Any part time work would be restricted to the tourist industry, as I assume you don't speak Greek. Bar work may be difficult to get as I think it is safe to say you are not a young female, but you may get something from a tour operator or villa rental company, for example. By the way, if you get a job on 5 euros an hour you are doing OK.
If you still decide to come then, given your circumstances, declared and assumed, don't buy a property initially. Rent a small apartment and test the water.
WHL

Post by WHL »

josef k wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:39 pm Hi Keith,

There is a lot we don't know about you, of course, so our advice has to be based on assumptions. I don't want to poor water on your plans, but I also don't want to see you living on the beach relying on handouts like some Brits have.

The way I read your posts, the 25k you mention is a lump sum. From that I assume you don't have a provable income. What that means is that Immigration won't accept your application and your legal stay will be limited to 3 months. If you stay longer you will be illegal. Not such an issue for Brits at the moment, but come Brexit things may well change.
Another issue is healthcare. As you were married for 20 years, I am assuming you are not receiving a state pension from the UK. What that means is that you will have to rely on private medical provision. Therefore you will need medical insurance, which also happens to be a further requirement of immigration. You would be foolish in the extreme to go without.
Any part time work would be restricted to the tourist industry, as I assume you don't speak Greek. Bar work may be difficult to get as I think it is safe to say you are not a young female, but you may get something from a tour operator or villa rental company, for example. By the way, if you get a job on 5 euros an hour you are doing OK.
If you still decide to come then, given your circumstances, declared and assumed, don't buy a property initially. Rent a small apartment and test the water.
Good Advise