UK - Tax Self Assessment return form

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
sueb

UK - Tax Self Assessment return form

Post by sueb »

Hello All,

Please, can any tell me if they have been able to complete the self assessment tax form on line.

This is for a person who lives in Cyprus all year?

The deadline for the completing on paper is 31st October 2017. On line you have until 31st January 2018.

Help and any advise is much very welcomed!

Yes, I have looked at the Govenment web site - as clear as mud. Have logged onto the Gateway site no joy on there either.

Help! :shock: :?
Happy to be back on the Island!
PaphosAL

Re: UK - Tax Self Assessment return form

Post by PaphosAL »

Are you already in receipt of the Self Assessment form from Hector over there in Cy? If so, fill it in quick and send it back to HMRC via DHL or similar.

If your form is at a UK address, can they get it scanned and email it to you sharpish?

If neither is viable for you, then online by 31 Jan 2018 it must be. We don't want you getting an automatic £100 fine for late delivery! Here is the main HMRC link to get going:

https://www.gov.uk/topic/personal-tax/self-assessment

It's a very secure system, so initially, you have to set up an online verified account with them. Not much different to signing up with eBay, PayPal or Amazon, really. In fact, maybe easier, LOL!

HOT TIP: Sort this out online before the end of October. Then, you can sit back, chill, and focus on your Christmas and New Year festivities! Without worrying about those bloody parasites at HMRC (who have never done a single day's productive work for the lifeblood of the UK since the day they left school)

Good Luck- and get back if you're stuck please- AL :)
Gone but not forgotten...
Galini

Post by Galini »

I think it depends on what you actually need to put on the form - some sections are not available via the online system. If you simply have employment and/or self employment income/pensions you should be OK but anything more complicated may require a paper submission.
Lucky Lady

Post by Lucky Lady »

Hi Sueb - I live in Cyprus full time and pay my income tax here but I also have a property in the UK which I rent out and therefore have to complete a UK tax form (only for the rental income). I have done my UK tax online for several years using the Government Gateway, which needs to be activated with a password issuedby the UK. Why don't you call them to ecplain your problems. I have always found them very helpful
J B

Post by J B »

There are several agents in the UK who will file your return for you for a fee.

Our guy used to have a house in Kamares, so may be willing to do it for a cheap holiday!!! :lol:
J B
darrow

Post by darrow »

when we first went online we had the site up on the computer, phoned HMRC and they got us up and running. we have to fill in a UK form because we have rental in UK. although we pay tax on it here. you can ask to do that, but i don't think it is such a good idea after all. we get a flat rate allowance of 20% but in UK you can claim for management fees, repairs and insurance etc, so probably better overall to pay tax in UK.
darrow

Post by darrow »

when we first went online we had the site up on the computer, phoned HMRC and they got us up and running. we have to fill in a UK form because we have rental in UK. although we pay tax on it here. you can ask to do that, but i don't think it is such a good idea after all. we get a flat rate allowance of 20% but in UK you can claim for management fees, repairs and insurance etc, so probably better overall to pay tax in UK.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Don't you have to sit there for ages when phoning HMRC in UK from Cyprus, waiting to talk to a human Hector? At considerable telephonic cost to your good self?

AL :?
Gone but not forgotten...
memory man

Post by memory man »

who is Hector?? :? :? :?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Hector the Tax Inspector

hector.jpg
hector.jpg (2.39 KiB) Viewed 3253 times
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
sueb

Post by sueb »

Thank you one and all for your input.

Have decided to do a paper one so will need to get my skates on for getting it posted!

Have just taken early retirement and was on PAYE with my last employer. They (tax office) do have my P60 and P45. I know from this that they owe me money for 2016/2017 tax year.

We did tell the Tax office that we were moving abroad by completing a form ( SA19 I think).

We do have a rental property in the UK but have had 'approval' to be exempt for paying tax on that income. We had been advised by our rental managerment company to apply for this as soon as we put the property up for rent.

Will look into being taxed here in Cyprus for 2017/2016 in due course.

Thanks again for your help and advise.

Great site for information. :D
Happy to be back on the Island!