From Blue Badge To Eternity...

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
manxie

From Blue Badge To Eternity...

Post by manxie »

can you use your blue disabled badge in Cyprus, if so has any one had a problem when doing so, all so can any one recommend a taxi to hire to go to lower peyia thanks manxie
Kili01

Re: blue badge

Post by Kili01 »

My late husband had a blue badge issued in UK. We did use it in and around Paphos when he was travelling in the car. We had no problems.

Dee
lefkes

Post by lefkes »

manxie wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:13 pm can you use your blue disabled badge in Cyprus, if so has any one had a problem when doing so, all so can any one recommend a taxi to hire to go to lower peyia thanks manxie
Rocky taxis 99611698. Lefkis.
WHL

Post by WHL »

On a side note ..will UK Blue badge holders, be able to use them in Cyprus, after Brexit?
WHL

Post by WHL »

Its a European thing, Cyprus would have to follow European rules, If your not in the club, why should you get the benefits?..can any other non EU visitor on holiday here, use their country's Blue badge, I doubt it.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Hudswell wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:40 pm No, Cyprus is a sovereign state and can make its own decisions as any Member of the EU can. The EU is not a totalitarian state...yet....and individual countries can make their own decisions....the Blue Badge Scheme is not a EU dictat, rules are different between countries, indeed even applications in the UK differ between England, Wales, N Ireland and Scotland....I do wish you scaremongers would just stop leaping at every oppourtunity to spout your "I told you so" rethoric...or "be warned" at every turn, it's getting very boring.
Scaremongers..really ? I just asked a simple question, that could affect many UK visitors here......ever thought of changing your name to Drama queen.... :roll:
WHL

Post by WHL »

Hudswell wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:51 pm And in answer to your simple question, no it almost certainly will not....in my own opinion of course...
Thank you for your reply.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

I'm sure that the Blue Badge scheme will join the EHIC Medical Card debate and await bi-lateral agreements post Brexit. That would be plain common sense, would it not?

Though we are at the mercy of blinkered politicians with their snouts in the trough here...

Cheers- AL (Blue Badge holder) :)
Gone but not forgotten...
WHL

Post by WHL »

Flossie wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:31 pm UK and CY blue badges can be used reciprocally as they both display the EU badge!!
The question was ...what happens after Brexit?
WHL

Post by WHL »

Austin7 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:53 pm
WHL wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:30 pmI just asked a simple question, that could affect many UK visitors here..... :roll:
Didn't seem like that to me! :?
Whats not simple about this question :roll:

On a side note ..will UK Blue badge holders, be able to use them in Cyprus, after Brexit?
Loxely Man

Post by Loxely Man »

I've never had a problem using my Blue Badge in Cyprus, I doubt that it will be valid in Cyprus after Brexit.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

...and I can no longer take a P&O day trip from Dover to Calais, drive 38 miles to Adinkerke in Belgium, and purchase a year's supply of rolling tobacco for a QUARTER of what it costs here in RoB...

12 hours door to door, 320 miles road plus two ferries. Not bad. But if that goes, I guess that's the stage when I'll have to think seriously about giving it up. £5 per 50g pouch in Belgium, yes. £20 in my local Tesco? No way!

AL :cry:
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

PaphosAL wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:04 pm ...and I can no longer take a P&O day trip from Dover to Calais, drive 38 miles to Adinkerke in Belgium, and purchase a year's supply of rolling tobacco for a QUARTER of what it costs here in RoB...

12 hours door to door, 320 miles road plus two ferries. Not bad. But if that goes, I guess that's the stage when I'll have to think seriously about giving it up. £5 per 50g pouch in Belgium, yes. £20 in my local Tesco? No way!

AL :cry:
Simple solution "Stop the Filthy Habit" perhaps. :lol:
All things are possible
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Personally, I hope that common sense will prevail after such a slim Stay/Leave referendum. And that the HMG politicians will decide to stay in the EU, with agreed preferential payments. Maybe freedom to trade with our Commonwealth partners as well..

Down in New Zealand, my cousin Trev tells me that a 250g pack of local NZ butter in his local supermarket costs the equivalent of £3-71 / €4-08 !!! Unbelievable...
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Receiving packages from non EU countries is a pain in the butt.

When the UK leaves the EU, it will be a non EU country.

This is not rocket science, nor scaremongering, just a simple explanation of reality.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
memory man

Post by memory man »

PaphosAL wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:39 pm

Down in New Zealand, my cousin Trev tells me that a 250g pack of local NZ butter in his local supermarket costs the equivalent of £3-71 / €4-08 !!! Unbelievable...

OMG. Unbelievable...
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Not at all, I am in the "Whatever will happen, will happen" brigade. Nothing I think, say or do will alter the outcome of the talks in any way, shape, or form. So there is no point in me worrying about it or not worrying about it.

All I was doing was pointing out what the reality of the situation is. You are the one who seems to have difficulty accepting that.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Royal

Post by Royal »

PaphosAL wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:39 pm Personally, I hope that common sense will prevail after such a slim Stay/Leave referendum.
More than a million more people voted Brexit than Remain. That's not such a slim result. Remainers always use the percentage result to make it seem closer than it really was.
Royal

Post by Royal »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:50 pm
Yes, it gets very 'boring' because you don't like having to face up to the realities of life after Brexit. All the things you currently take for granted. Just wait until every Amazon and John Lewis delivery has to pass through Customs...and you have to pay Import Duty and VAT on same. Wait until you have to go through the legthy non-EU channels at airports. And so on...
Here we go again. Lloyd either has a crystal ball and can see into the future or else he has close friends both in the UK government and the EU Commission, so he automatically knows what a post Brexit UK is going to look like.

As for me, I doubt very much that Amazon and John Lewis deliveries (or any other UK originated purchases for that matter) will be subject to any import duty when arriving in an EU destination post Brexit. VAT will still, of course, be payable as it is now. I also doubt that UK citizens will be treated any differently after Brexit. Have you not seen the signs at airports which say EU citizens including Iceland, Norway and Switzerland - all not EU members?

I also very much doubt that a disabled person with a UK issued Blue Badge will not be treated the same after Brexit as before. Project FEAR II carries on apace.

It's called negotiation Lloyd. That's where two or more parties talk about the future and come to some accommodation.

The UK is looking for some flexibility and imagination for a Way Ahead - words which seem difficult for Juncker, Barnier, Verhofstadt and….Lloyd to understand.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:50 pm
Hudswell wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:40 pmI do wish you scaremongers would just stop leaping at every oppourtunity to spout your "I told you so" rethoric...or "be warned" at every turn, it's getting very boring.

Yes, it gets very 'boring' because you don't like having to face up to the realities of life after Brexit. All the things you currently take for granted. Just wait until every Amazon and John Lewis delivery has to pass through Customs...and you have to pay Import Duty and VAT on same. Wait until you have to go through the legthy non-EU channels at airports. And so on...
Well as you want to stay in the EU perhaps you should support it and buy from them rather than Amazon,John Lewis etc.I personally have never seen particularly lengthy queues at non EUAirport channels but if that is
a problem to you you can always obtain a Cypriot passport! :roll: After all as the EU keep saying you can't have your cake and eat it as well!! :D