Brexit Stumble? Another 2 years on top of 2019....

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
PhotoLady

Brexit Stumble? Another 2 years on top of 2019....

Post by PhotoLady »

UK will still be paying into the EU for a while longer..... they're calling it a transitional deal :roll:
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
holitec

Re: Brexit Stumble? Another 2 years on top of 2019....

Post by holitec »

That is logical, as the UK agreed to the 7 year budget for the Eu, which is until 2020, so, yes transitional until end 2020 when next budget is agreed by the EU 27. Of course, that also means the EU payments to the UK like CAP etc should continue, but I will bet they will not keep to their commitments.

Digby
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

They're talking about until March 2021.
Royal

Post by Royal »

As a Brexiteer, I see no problem with this transition period as long as we can negotiate Global trade deals during the 2 year period as though we were not in the EU.

If not, then I believe that we should get out in Mar 2019 with no further financial commitments.
Varky

Post by Varky »

Royal wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:30 pm As a Brexiteer, I see no problem with this transition period as long as we can negotiate Global trade deals during the 2 year period as though we were not in the EU.

If not, then I believe that we should get out in Mar 2019 with no further financial commitments.
Not only should we be able to negotiate trade deals with countries other than the EU, but we should also receive any financial benefits accruing to the UK during the two year period. To use EU speak -the EU cannot have its cake and eat it.
zorbathejock

Post by zorbathejock »

People were given a vote on the EU with no knowledge of what the consequences would be. Just a ploy for the Tory’s to get UKIP off their back. No thought of national interest.
J B

Post by J B »

zorbathejock wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:45 pm People were given a vote on the EU with no knowledge of what the consequences would be. Just a ploy for the Tory’s to get UKIP off their back. No thought of national interest.
Hmm. Don't think DC thought he would lose, just like he didn't think he'd lose his majority. Silly boy!

As a mathematician I think that a vote of 48% to 52% to be 'not statistically significant' in such a major issue, but we made our bed so now we need to lie in it.
Sadly we don't really know where the sheets are, let alone when or how we can lie in the bed! :roll:
J B
Royal

Post by Royal »

zorbathejock wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:45 pm People were given a vote on the EU with no knowledge of what the consequences would be. Just a ploy for the Tory’s to get UKIP off their back. No thought of national interest.
I don't think that either assertion was entirely true.

UKIP reflected what many Tories had been saying all along. In addition, the information was out there, about consequences but you had to either find it or just give it some thought.

I think that DC's main error was in trying to secure a change of direction from the EU BEFORE the Referendum. If he had gone for the Referendum first and got the same result as we had in Jun 16, it would have given him more bargaining power to extract major changes with the option of Brexit if we didn't achieve them.
Varky

Post by Varky »

That song's been sung so many times with many responses. Please move on.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Well we have just watched the PM's speech which we thought was excellent. She made absolutely sure to show our strengths and how we are perfectly capable of managing on our own but assured the EU that we want any new relationship to be a success for the UK and the EU however I personally don't think it will go down well with the EU because there were certainly veiled hints of firmness to show them that it cannot all go their way. We shall see.
josef k

Post by josef k »

At this rate, by the time the UK leaves completely, all those who voted to leave will be dead. ;)
Royal

Post by Royal »

josef k wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:21 pm At this rate, by the time the UK leaves completely, all those who voted to leave will be dead. ;)
Oh dear! I sincerely hope not!
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Me too!!! :roll:
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

josef k wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:21 pm At this rate, by the time the UK leaves completely, all those who voted to leave will be dead. ;)

Really ................... what a stupid statement even with a ;) ?

:shock:

Shane
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Poppy wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:36 pm Well we have just watched the PM's speech which we thought was excellent. She made absolutely sure to show our strengths and how we are perfectly capable of managing on our own but assured the EU that we want any new relationship to be a success for the UK and the EU however I personally don't think it will go down well with the EU because there were certainly veiled hints of firmness to show them that it cannot all go their way. We shall see.
Without any real facts and figures. The more it changes, the more it stays the same.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

We watched it too..... It went on a long time, not much was actually said and as usual, absolutely no sincerity or feeling came through.

It must be very difficult having to beef up the details and put them out to the public when it's something you didn't want in the first place. I think shorter speeches would come across better but she really needs to prepare more for the Q&As afterwards because she always falls over herself each time.

I'm still not feeling any great white hope....
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Hudswell wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:25 pm unlike Labour or the Libdems who continue to lurk in the background ready to stab the country in the back.
They do not need to lurk. Theresa May has shown by her vacillation and contradictions that she has already been able to stab the country in the back, all by her little self. This latest Florentine pronouncement has not improved the situation, as shown by Michel Barnier's non-reaction.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

I really don't get what some of you are saying about Theresa May.I felt her speech was sincere and she delivered it well. I will always remember the address that Tony Blair
gave when Princess Diana died. It was awful- so over the top and insincere IMHO and I was expecting him to burst into tears at one stage. Theresa May is very clever and gets some difficult points over successfully and surely that is what is required.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Poppy wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:03 pm I felt her speech was sincere and she delivered it well.
But it had little substance. Other than the two-year cool-down period (which will have to be approved unanimously by all 27 members) and which was not really news anyway, what did she say that was substantial? The rest was 95% waffle.
josef k

Post by josef k »

ApusApus wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:23 pm

Really ................... what a stupid statement even with a ;) ?

:shock:

Shane
By definition a joke can't be stupid, only the person telling it. For that is what it was, a joke, based on the estimated comparative general age ranges of the exit and remain camps. Nevertheless, thanks for your input Shane.