Paphos airport cabbies "ripping off punters"

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Paphos airport cabbies "ripping off punters"

Post by Paphos Life »

Taxi drivers at Paphos airport are getting a bad rap after being accused of profiteering by overpricing tourists and elderly residents....

Read the article and chat about it below...
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Paphos airport cabbies "ripping off punters"

Post by Dominic »

In related news, I am in the final stages of putting together the Motoring section of the Paphos Life Directory. This has a category for Taxis, so if you have anybody you recommend, feel free to mention it here.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I would recommend 'Rocky' who runs a taxi firm.. We have used him a few times now. Great guy and his prices are on his website.
http://iwantataxicyprus.com/
Trev..
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

The Larnaca airport cabbies aren't saints either.
Geoff.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Never ever had a problem, always agree a fee before I get in the cab.....simple
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

And why do you agree a fee before hand.. Can I suggest that is it because you have heard of the rip off fares.
Unfortunately holiday makers that get in a cab expect to pay the charge on the meter.
It is only after the journey that they find the meter has not been running and they are told the fare they are expected to pay, by the driver.
Trev..
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Hudswell wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:31 pm Taxi rates are published, it is the law to have a metered ride, so it seems to me the solution is simple...enforce the law! I am sorry but Paphos taxi drivers are generally rude and aggressive, and as the First Impression for those arriving arriving via Paphos airport do the town no favours.
Agreed, had many complaints about them.

A personal one, left out-laws at Taverna in Mandria as they were on a later flight. They got Taverna to call a taxi and they were charged €50 for the journey. Being elderly and also pressurised/threatened, they paid. At most, a 4 mile journey that should cost <€10
WHL

Post by WHL »

trevnhil wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:22 pm And why do you agree a fee before hand.. Can I suggest that is it because you have heard of the rip off fares.
Unfortunately holiday makers that get in a cab expect to pay the charge on the meter.
It is only after the journey that they find the meter has not been running and they are told the fare they are expected to pay, by the driver.
Agree with you Trev, they should jump hard on scamming taxi drivers, but in the real world the authorities dont have the will to do this, so you have to look after yourself ..I live by the rule, ask how much, before asking for any work done, I been ripped off by both Cypriot and Brit tradesmen, so before anyone lays a paint brush or puts a screw in my wall, I agree a fee, same with Taxi drivers the World over, Ive used Taxis here and all over the World, some countries use the meter some dont, like Cyprus so before getting in I ask the cost, and if Im happy with it, Il get in, the last couple of years when abroad Ive been using Uber fantastic service, fast..reliable etc just call, you get the name of driver...cost time they will be at your door, etc...recently I was in Vienna and I couldn't believe how cheap they were.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

trevnhil wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:22 pm And why do you agree a fee before hand.. Can I suggest that is it because you have heard of the rip off fares.
When I lived in London, if I phoned for a cab from a pub or a club etc, I would always ask for a price first.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
josef k

Post by josef k »

There are still too many taxi drivers who are overweight, dirty, smelly, smoke when driving, and molest female foreigners or ask them for sex. A number of taxis are up to 30 years old and are driven dangerously. Few use their meters and most overcharge. The airport taxis are among the worst of the bunch. The authorities turn a blind eye, and the municipalities don't realise what effect all this has on tourism.
I know there are some good guys, and Rocky comes up as a leading good guy time and time again, but their industry has a bad name. I don't understand why the good guys don't do something about it.

Use the busses, if you can, they are very good.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Just remembered this, regards always ask the fare before getting in the cab, we were on a cruise a couple of years ago, and stopped off in Istanbul, get off the ship, go to the Taxi rank, how much to take us to the grand bazaar ..25euro says the cabby,,, great get in and he takes us, a few hours later when we finished, we go to the taxis and there is the same taxi driver who brought us, so with out asking the fare again, we greet each other get in his cab and he takes us back to the ship, I give him 25euro plus tip, and he says no... now 50euro, why I said, because now more traffic 50euro now, so being that its my fault for not asking, I hand over 50euro no tip, lesson learned.