Update on Ruby....

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
PhotoLady

Update on Ruby....

Post by PhotoLady »

I posted a few days ago on a thread by Max about Ruby and her ruptured cruciate ligament.

The x-rays at the vets last Wednesday showed she had definitely ruptured the ligament so her whole right back leg knee joint is now totally unstable. She cannot put any weight on it and has been getting around on three legs since 15 July.

The x-rays were being sent to another vet with a review for surgery as it seems our clinic uses an outside orthopaedic veterinary surgeon. They should have come back to us on Friday but it didn't happen and on Saturday a further chaser email was sent. Eventually we got a phone call last night at about 7:30pm.

Now, bearing in mind that Ruby is 99% Rottweiler, is just 4 months short of being 11 years old and a hefty 43.5kg - the surgeon has said he "can" perform the op, without ever having set eyes on her! The average lifespan of a Rottie is anywhere between 8 - 12 years and the recovery period for this particular operation for a younger, agile dog is around 2 - 3 months.

We fully expected the surgeon to ask to see her and then say it was a no-go if he had taken into consideration that she's already on Metacam liquid painkiller for her arthritis as well as her age and weight. So to be told this last night and in the next breath, the cost would be just under £2,000 plus another £260 again for a further sedation and x-rays 6 weeks later was a kick in the teeth we didn't quite anticipate.

We've ummed and aaahed over it all night..... first thoughts this morning was to give her the chance and the opportunity but then knowing she's already fed up with not being able to get on the sofa with us when we watch TV or to jump on the bed with us for her nightly sleep, and realising that will continue for many months after the operation and most likely she will never be able to do any of that again.... we both understood, we had to let her go.

We walked round to the local surgery this morning and explained our feelings there. The vet who sent her for x-rays was on duty and she said she agreed with our thinking. Ruby's life will never be the same again and she's had a long and happy life. This was a puppy I found at 12 - 14 weeks of age abandoned and tied up with electricity cable at the side of a road on the outskirts of Limassol, Cyprus.

So tomorrow lunchtime, the vet will come to the house to put Ruby into a sleep one last time and will take her away with her. She will be cremated and her ashes returned to us a few weeks later. Then both Ruby's and the ashes our other old dog, Indie (who passed away last October) will be scattered together by the little wall on the pathway next to the golf course around the corner. That particular wall was always the turning point for Indie as he couldn't walk very far - he was 14 years old and had been Ruby's lifetime buddy.

The rest of today and tomorrow is going to be very difficult for our family.....
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
TLR

Re: Update on Ruby....

Post by TLR »

I am so sorry to read this, you must be in pieces.
It will be very painful for a long time but please try to remember the wonderful life you gave to her, and all that love.
Sending big cyberhugs.
Thinking of you, as all dog lovers will do.
Tx
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

A sad time for your Family, and hard to get through. But I think you have made the right decision at her age... God bless you.. xx
Trev..
brengreen

Post by brengreen »

You have made the right decision. Her quality of life would be compromised. My thoughts are with you. Xxx
Sadie

Post by Sadie »

Oh Jules ...that's awful, you know you have reached the right decision, it's the last thing you can do for a loved pet.
We had our darling cat put to sleep a few weeks ago, she was 14 so I know what you're going through.
Thoughts are with you xx
If you never ask the question, the answer will always be....no
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

A very brave but heartbreaking decision but love ❤️ is always the dogs needs before your own .....which is what you are doing
I have 3 dogs one rescue who is just 6 weeks short of 14 years......it's just horrible to let them go......😥
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Very hard but the right decision to stop your poor Ruby is suffering any longer. I lost several dogs in the past either through poisoning or medical diagnosis. (hip problem) To put a loved friend to sleep is only allowed with animals, with humans it is still a huge problem. If you feel too lonely, why not having a little other darling from a rescue center in your area...it will help you in a big way to soften your pain and grief. My thoughts are with you.

Max
smudger

Post by smudger »

Jules my heart bleeds for you, but sure you made the right decision for Ruby. She will go with the love you gave her through her whole life and the memories of the good times, as will you eventually.
Will be thinking of you tomorrow, night God Bless Ruby xxx
Rainbow Bridge awaits.
Last edited by smudger on Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

I'm sorry for the need to make the big decision. We went through the same pain a month ago. After over an almost pain-free year on Meloxicam, his hind quarters just gave way at 14½ years. We still miss the bugger like hell; he is no longer able to greet us at the gate with a 25 kg lurch and I don't hide that I have tears in my eyes as I write this (and I'm a man!). I'll shed some for you, too.
Bograt

Post by Bograt »

You have just given your beloved companion a final gift - a gentle passing at the end of a fun filled, great life. You have been a true friend to her, and repaid her love with compassion when she needed it. I know the pain of losing an animal. It is a special kind of grief that only animal lovers can understand. Be kind to yourself xx
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Poor old Ruby and poor you two! It is the most heartbreaking decision to have to make but you are quite right to put her first and not yourselves.
aphrodite

Post by aphrodite »

Such a heartbreaking decision to have to make, but the right one under the circumstances. I will be thinking of you tomorrow. X
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

I do know what you are going through now. So difficult to make this decision, but you know it is the only right one. Will be thinking of you.
Louise :)
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

AHH that brought a lump to my throat. Your going to go to pieces. We did when Toby went to sleep. Lots oh Hugs for you from across the miles. xx
Two Dogs in a Boat.jpg
Two Dogs in a Boat.jpg (51.55 KiB) Viewed 4396 times
All things are possible
JimX

Post by JimX »

Yes it is sad at times like this Jules, but you gave her a fantastic life and that is all credit to you, our dog Coco is now very old and slow, like myself, we are also dreading the day when it arrives, but we have always done the best for her also, you cannot do more than what you have done, this will not take that pain away, but we do feel for you...
Jim.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

So sad to read your update, Jules, and my thoughts are with you for what is a very brave, but difficult decision to take. I'm sure Ruby will thank you for gently relieving her of her pain and distress...

Don't worry, she will be waiting up there to greet you eventually..

AL :cry:

Gone but not forgotten...
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Chin up girl. The good memories will remain long after the sadness fades. :(
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Cogs123

Post by Cogs123 »

How utterly devastating for you both, it is truly heartbreaking to lose a pet, but you've made the right decision for Ruby.
As Dominic said, ' chin up girl ', I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. 💕
Life is not about waiting for the Storm to pass...
It is about learning to Dance in the Rain
memory man

Post by memory man »

A song for Ruby.

"Rubylove"

Who'll be my love
You'll be my love
You'll be my sky above
Who'll be my light
You'll be my light
You'll be my day and night
You'll be mine tonight

Ruby glykeia (Ruby my sweet)
Ela xana (come again)
Ela xana konta mou (come again close to me)
Ela proi (come in the morning)
Me tin avgi (by dawn)
Hrisi san iliahtida (gold as a sunbeam)
Ruby mou mikri (You small Ruby)

Ruby my love
You'll be my love
You'll be my sky above
Ruby my light
You'll be my light
You'll be my day and night
You'll be mine tonight
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Such a hard, heartbreaking decision to have to make, but you know you've done the right thing for your beloved pal. Ruby has had a long loving life with you and you will have many happy memories to smile over in times to come, although you will be needing boxes of Kleenex for a while yet.
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol: