Can I Change Windows 8 for 7

Everything to do with I.T, T.V, and telephony.
Firefly

Can I Change Windows 8 for 7

Post by Firefly »

I wonder if anyone can help me please. My laptop is in need of replacement but I want to retain windows seven. The laptop I am considering comes with Windows 8, I would like to remove this and replace with 7, does anyone know if this is possible, and would it be difficult ?

Thanks

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
ApusApus

Re: Can I Change Windows 8 for 7

Post by ApusApus »

You should be able to download it from the Microsoft website or you can just Google Windows 7 downloads.

Shane
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Shane

Thank you for that, do I uninstall 8 first ?

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
J B

Post by J B »

Try this, but you *may* have issues with licence numbers
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/16 ... ral%20Tips

Is it just the look of W8 that you don't like?
If so, you could just install http://www.classicshell.net/
which makes a W8/10 pc look like W7

:)
J B
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

A couple of years ago I had a Windows 8 laptop I downgraded to Windows 7. It basically involved wiping the hard disk and installing Windows 7 fresh.

The only thing I had to ensure was that the laptop had drivers for Windows 7. Download them first, and save them to a usb stick. You may also have to change a BIOS setting to allow you to overwrite the OS.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Thank guys for the advice, sorry but my level of knowledge is not sufficient for the more technical actions, but RW and JB may well have the answer for me.

RW

Yes It's a new computer with windows 8 installed.

Jackie
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

RW

Thank you and no you haven't, I understand what you're saying, but I seemed that people who upgraded to 10 wished they hadn't. So yes maybe a laptop with windows 10 already installed maybe the way to go. I'll see what's out there.

Jackie
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Yes thanks RW, I will.

Jackie
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Road Warrior wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:07 pm Would definitely recommend Win10 factory fit, over the upgrade option:)
Have a "google" and see what other users think.
Have to agree don't go for the upgrade option, I did & ended up going back to Windows 7!

Shane
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Right, I will have my new computer tomorrow with Windows 10 installed on it, do I still need to install classicshell to make it look like 7, or will it resemble 7 anyway does anyone know please ?

Thanks

Jackie
J B

Post by J B »

AS RW says, some get used to the W10 start menu, but other grumpies like me prefer to install Classic Shell to be like W7

:D
J B
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

When I get a new laptop I assume it will be loaded with Windows 10. I will give it a go and persevere with it but I am certainly used to and happy with Windows 7. So I too may be installing 'Classic Shell'

Trev..
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I personally like Windows 10.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Thanks R W and J B, always good advice, I'll give 10 a go and see, but maybe I'll end up with classicshell.

Jackie
J B

Post by J B »

Firefly wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:54 am Thanks R W and J B, always good advice, I'll give 10 a go and see, but maybe I'll end up with classicshell.
Just remember, with all those irritating 'tiles' on your desktop - if you don't want them on there, just right click and select 'remove from desktop' (I think that's what it says, but can't replicate it on my system)
It won't uninstall the programs, just the 'tile' which is like a 'shortcut' in W7

:)
J B
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

J B and R W

Thanks very much for the advice. I am going to, hopefully :lol: set up my new computer today.

Jackie
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Well, it's not going to plan ! No icons, no smart screen, and no way can I log in to Amazon UK. I enter all the correct details for Amazon UK, then they say I have to prove it's me by entering a code sent to my email address, ok so far, access my email, note code, and return to Amazon, enter code, message says wrong code, I have repeated this with 5 different codes, and right now I'm at this stage :evil: Please guys, can you help me ?

Just thankful that I could access PL !

Thanks

Jackie
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Hi RW and thank you.

Yes Amazon from my browser, but I was just about to post that I eventually found an 0800 number for them, rare as hens teeth, and they sorted it out for me. When I boot it, I get a picture of a seashore, then it takes me to a picture of what I can only describe as fronds of grass, with a bar at the bottom that I can click on various things e.g. Chrome or Internet Explorer.

Jackie
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

RW

Glad it's good news, I'll have a go, thanks again.

Jackie
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

J B

I note that you have installed classicshell, was it all straight forward ? I dislike 10, and am having difficulty finding my way around it, if I install classic shell, will it look like 7 immediately ? Thanks for any info.

Jackie