EU Immigration Requirements

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Robert

EU Immigration Requirements

Post by Robert »

My lovely wife and I are spending a few weeks in the beautiful Polis area before an (hopefully) eventual move permanently in the next few months. It looks like we're starting to settle on the Polis surrounding areas as options although we still do like Kamares. While here I decided to visit the Aliens & Immigration office to just confirm I had everything in order. Unfortunately I left with more questions than I came in with. I'm not sure if everyone was just hot and bothered (it was rammed with people) but the staff were at the point of being deliberately obstructive. Hopefully some of this forums fabulous members have been through the same experience so can share what worked for them.

I was given a slip of paper and a circle was marked on the evidence that I needed to provide. Two of these I need help understanding.

1. "Marriage certificate + photocopy (to be translated into Greek or English and stamped by the Ministry Foreign Affairs in their country and by the Cyprus Embassy - Consulate of the Embassy in Cyprus or have APOSTILLE (if the marriage took place abroad." Our marriage took place in the UK so the in English bit is covered. It looks like I need two stamps on an original and a copy or an APOSTILLE. Could posters share what they did and where they obtained their stamps/Apostille?

2. "Incomes Certificates (pensions, rentals, salaries) + copy". My wife and I will be self sufficient and were planning to live off our dividends (from public companies and which should be well and truly enough at circa EUR35k for both of us), bank interest and maybe some capital spend down until my private defined contribution pension is due in 10 years. This seemed to fit with what was described in the MEU1A form but is not what is described here. I tried to clarify if dividends/interest were ok but was looked at like I had 2 heads and was told just provide what is on the paper which I cannot. Multiple email requests have alos been ignored. I've asked a similar question before and all the helpful replies referred to showing pension transactions or rental transaction into Cypriot bank accounts which exactly fits with the description. Has anybody used (even as part of justification) dividends/interest to prove financial self sufficiency?

Thanks in advance.
PW in Polemi

Re: EU Immigration Requirements

Post by PW in Polemi »

Hi Robert
1. Some nine years ago, we only needed the original of our British wedding certificate and a photocopy - I think the Apostille and stamps referred to in your list are for the translation if required.
2. The certificate of income - they want proof that you will not be a financial burden on the Cyprus government. So an up to date statement from your financial advisor (if you have one) detailing your investments and the income therefrom, plus originals and copies of bank statements showing deposits and interest thereon, etc etc should be sufficient. We were officially employed (by ourselves as we'd set up a company - big mistake) so our accountant supplied us with salary slips showing how much the company was paying us. We also supplied originals and copies of bank statements showing deposits plus interest paid.

Just remember - Cypriot authorities LOVE their paperwork so if you can provide anything over and above what they've asked for, they'll be thrilled! :lol:
Good luck!
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
josef k

Post by josef k »

On point 1, an apostile takes the form of a rubber stamp on the back of the form from the UK Foreign Ministry. It makes a UK document (in this case) an international document. You will find stuff about it on their web site. I don't know if they will accept an unstamped document as PW suggest. But someone on here must have done the deed recently and should be able to advise.
I agree with PW on point 2.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

An Apostille legalises a UK document for international use, have a look at this website it will explain everything http://www.hagueapostille.co.uk/

It's a simple process but it's on the Cyprus "tick list" so if you don't have one you will be talking to a brick wall!

Shane
Houdinibun

Post by Houdinibun »

Okay we did this last September. Marriage certificate as it is was fine. We just provided statements from our bank which showed regular income, they also accept a statement showing a large balance.
As said before they just want proof you won't be a financial burden! You also need a health insurance policy that covers you for any treatment in cyprus and a lease or purchase agreement to show where you are living.

Make sure you have copies of everything as well as the originals. You will need to go in and make an appointment once you move here and we had to wait about 5 weeks for that.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Houdinibun wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:11 pm , they also accept a statement showing a large balance.
Large meaning at least €30.000.-
Mighty Sprite

Post by Mighty Sprite »

Please note that the health insurance document also has to show that it covers Cyprus. Ours said "Zone 2" so we had to take the handbook to show that Zone 2 covered Europe.
Robert

Post by Robert »

Thanks to everyone for their responses so far. Any other experiences would be welcomed.

So it looks like:
- UK marriage certificate + copy without stamps or apostille would be ok. It sounds like cheap insurance to get it apostilled while still in the UK though.
- I knew I'd need health insurance. I'll make sure it shows Cyprus and I'll make sure it's stamped by the company.

Now onto being able to support oneself financially. @jeba Where did you get the EUR30,000 number from? Is that per person? This is starting to look in line with the MEU1A which states as one of the financial options "or, Adequate deposits in financial institutions in the Republic or abroad". @Houdinibun Did you use a statement with a "large balance" or did they only use your "regular income"?
jeba

Post by jeba »

I can't remember where I read that definition of "adequate" but I remember it well as I needed that info for my yellow slip last year. However, they didn't insist it was cash. A printout of my portfolio statement without any official stamps or apostille was good enough. That was in Larnaca though and I had dropped in between 2 "customers" for half a minute a week before my official appointment and had asked whether my documentation was good enough. You may want to do that as well as it turned out to be useful (they wanted changes to the cover letter of my (German) health insurance). Not sure though whether different districts have different rules.
Shemmy

Post by Shemmy »

Hi All

We are preparing our documents for immigration. With respects to the marriage certificate, we got married in Las Vegas, will this be a problem? We satisfy all the other requirements. Also how many copies of each document should we take.

Thanks

Yvette
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

My understanding is that you have to visit immigration, with your passport, to make an appointment..
You would be best asking them, at that first visit..
Trev..
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Yvette, my colleague who I worked with for many years when we lived in Cyprus got married in Vegas. Three times she had paperwork passed by immigration with no problems.

However, on the last occasion (2 years ago) the Cypriot authority would not accept the marriage certificate without it being sent back to USA for the required apostille. It took about 3 weeks or so for the paperwork to come back to her from America.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
josef k

Post by josef k »

If you want cheap medical insurance that is acceptable to Immigration, then pop down to Status Services on the road from the mall to the harbour. They have just the right thing.
When you get your appointment and the list of requirements, you also get a form in Greek. This is for the Muchtar to fill in, and your application will be refused without it.
Shemmy

Post by Shemmy »

Hi All

Just to let you know that we got our yellow slips today - no problem with the marriage certificate.

Thanks for all your help

Yvette
Shemmy

Post by Shemmy »

We didn't have a form for the Muchtar to complete, so not sure what this is

Yvette
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Never had a form to be signed by a Mukhtar.
Louise :)
josef k

Post by josef k »

Perhaps it was because my wife isn't an EU citizen. Anyone else get one?