Pet proof fly screens

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
kansas

Pet proof fly screens

Post by kansas »

Our cat has just started climbing up our front patio fly screen. Has anyone had the same experience, and had pet proof fly screens installed? If so, it would be great to have details of the supplier.

Many thanks
Sadie

Re: Pet proof fly screens

Post by Sadie »

I’m tagging into this as I’d be interested too 😼
If you never ask the question, the answer will always be....no
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Our cats used to open our screens to get out, they made a real mess of them. I have never heard of pet proof screens, I can't see how screens could be made 'pet proof'. If they are scratching them to get out, maybe install a cat flap, we did.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Sadie

Post by Sadie »

Firefly wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:21 am Our cats used to open our screens to get out, they made a real mess of them. I have never heard of pet proof screens, I can't see how screens could be made 'pet proof'. If they are scratching them to get out, maybe install a cat flap, we did.
In my case I don’t want a cat flap installed as one of my cats is an outdoor cat and I don’t want him in the house
If you never ask the question, the answer will always be....no
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

There are at least 2 types of mesh used on fly screens, plastic or aluminium. The plastic ones are a lot easier to damage than the more expensive aluminium type.
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Mine were aluminium, still got ruined.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Call Franks Blinds on 97 790978. I know he offers these as an option on fly screens but I can’t comment on their effectiveness as ours are the standard material.

Ian
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Not a sliding fly screen, but a hinged fly screen for the front doorway. I had this made by the business in Chloraka who make all kinds of aluminum screens,window frames , fly screens etc. I asked for the stronger aluminum mesh infill, which cost extra, but is much stronger than the normal one. So far it seems much more durable.
He speaks good English, came to my house to measure up and fitted it, and did a good job. Not cheap but hopefully worth it! He might be able to help you with the stronger mesh. So far it has kept visiting cat outside.
His shop is on the 'village road between Chloraka and Kissonerga you can see it.
kansas

Post by kansas »

Thanks very much Kili01. Will look into it. Like Sadie we don't want a cat flap for the same reason.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

We used Franks Blinds for our pet proof screens and they were brilliant. He is very reasonably priced also.