UK State Pension Increase

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Firefly

UK State Pension Increase

Post by Firefly »

Has anyone, who is in receipt of a UK state pension, received notification of their 24-25 increase?

I'm sure that in past years, I have been notified before now, but nothing to date.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
MiaBeth

Re: UK State Pension Increase

Post by MiaBeth »

I had my notification about a month ago, my wife’s came last Friday.
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

Similar here to MiaBeth, except that my wife is still waiting for hers. The same thing happened last year - although both notification letters (posted from Holland) were the same date, they arrived weeks apart.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Thank you both.

I'm still waiting for mine, I did wonder if my surname being near the end of the alphabet, made any difference, but from your replies, it seems not.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
kelly's eye

Post by kelly's eye »

8.5% increase. Well, that's what it is here, anyway.
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

Firefly: my wife still uses her maiden name for passport, HMRC etc. Her surname begins with "W", whereas I'm near the beginning of the alphabet, so your theory may be right.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

David

Thank you, that probably explains it.
Sheer Khan

Post by Sheer Khan »

8.50% looks ok but a lot of pensioners will now be paying tax for the first time as the threshold is still the same so for them it’s 6.80%
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I am a pensioner and I wish my pension was big enough to pay tax on
Trev..
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

It won't be 8.5% of my total pension.

Last year I asked the DWP why the increase wasn't the actual percentage of my pension, they told me that only part of my pension was included in the increase, so what looks okay on paper, isn't actually, what some of us will in fact receive.
mark4007

Post by mark4007 »

Firefly wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:54 pm It won't be 8.5% of my total pension.

Last year I asked the DWP why the increase wasn't the actual percentage of my pension, they told me that only part of my pension was included in the increase, so what looks okay on paper, isn't actually, what some of us will in fact receive.
If part of your UK state pension is a "protected payments" , then that element will increase in line with CPI as this protected payment is in addition to the normal uk state pension..

of course protected payments only apply to those fotunate to have a starting amount for their state pension that is larger than the headline figure quoted for UK state pensions..
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

It appears that the part of my pension which I now receive, that part which I inherited from my late husband, is not subject to the rise.

That said, after consulting the DWP website, it's all so confusing, I gave up.