Biometric Card - 2026

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
kansas

Biometric Card - 2026

Post by kansas »

Over the last couple of weeks several acquaintances have said that they are in no hurry to get the biometric card as they've heard that it will all change in 2026.

This is news to us and we have already applied for our card anyway,

As far as we are aware the change in 2026 will be that it will be compulsory to have a biometric card, but has anyone heard anything to the contrary?

Thanks
clive of payia

Re: Biometric Card - 2026

Post by clive of payia »

As I replied earlier on this Post. As far as I am aware, It isn't compulsory YET, for holders of "Yellow Slips" with no expiry date issued before Brexit to change to the Biometric card, convenient, yes. If your travel is between the UK and Cyprus ONLY, i.e.between two countries not in the Schengen zone, the Yellow Slip is only required when you re-enter Cyprus and your UK passport is not stamped.

Since coming to Cyprus 22 years ago, I and others have been through four changes to our residency documents. With the chaotic state the EU is going through and elections in June, we could see more dramatic changes affecting immigration, so I will wait till next year before re-acquainting myself with the atmosphere and decor of the Paphos immigration centre.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

I agree, the goalposts have been moved too often in regard to residency.
We were all told to get MEU3s some panicked and applied stating there would be a mad rush if left too long, as soon as this predicted mad rush finished we were told that we need mukw3 to replace it. And it's ground hog day all over again.
😃
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
kansas

Post by kansas »

Thanks for your replies. We've been here 20 years and, thankfully, have had no problems with getting our residency documents.
fishbeardsunset

Post by fishbeardsunset »

Just to add my two pence- I have my residency biometric card from March last year and it is stamped as valid up till 28/4/33 and also permits me to enter the UK for a period of 5 years to stay, if I wish- without any penalties if I so then desire to return back to Cyprus.

With that in mind, I cannot consider that any subsequent changes to that arrangement in the near future will impact me, having got this card
prior to any subsequent changes, so then I would argue what is the point of it all in the first place??

Anybody????????
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Has anyone noticed that since Brexit, our status as EU citizens is past? We have become 3rd world citizens. Thus every time one needs to go to a Govt office, procedures to upgrade any document have become more complicated?
As I do sometimes want to travel to other EU countries its worth keeping up with necessary changes to documents.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Having initially been issued with the brown booklet I must say the exchange process from MEU3 to MUKW3 was the simplest immigration procedure I have been through in Cyprus. The transformation from having my photograph stapled onto a document to the digital era has been long overdue.

I prefer to keep residence, tax status etc. up to date but can appreciate others taking their time as no one knows what the future holds.
Tuppence

Post by Tuppence »

Information here about the issuing of biometric cards which is an EU directive.
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/EN/legal-cont ... %20earlier.
If you don’t wish to read the whole document here are a few bits of information. Note that a biometric card is not necessary for domestic identity but who knows if the various government departments we have to deal with here will accept that.
The combination of increased travel and fragmented regulations makes the security of identity documents a key element in the fight against terrorism, organised crime and identity theft.
The regulation is part of the Commission’s 2016 action plan to tackle travel document fraud. This called for measures to improve the security of documents such as identity and residence cards, particularly in the light of recent terrorist attacks.
The regulation does not require EU countries to introduce identity cards or to make the holding of an identity card compulsory. Nor does it prevent them from using other documents, such as driving licences, for domestic identification purposes.
Residence cards for family members who are non-EU nationals: must use the uniform format established by Regulation (EC) No 1030/2002 as amended by Regulation (EU) 2017/1954 and Implementing Decision C(2018) 7767; and
have the title ‘Residence Card’ or ‘Permanent residence card’ according to Directive 2004/38/EC and the standardised code ‘Family Member EU Art 10 DIR 2004/38/EC’ or ‘Family Member EU Art 20 DIR 2004/38/EC’;
currently in circulation will no longer be valid on their expiry date or by 3 August 2026, whichever is earlier. Cards that do not meet minimum security standards or include a functional MRZ will no longer be valid on their expiry date or by 3 August 2023, whichever is earlier.
mark4007

Post by mark4007 »

Tuppence wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:21 am Information here about the issuing of biometric cards which is an EU directive.
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/EN/legal-cont ... %20earlier.
If you don’t wish to read the whole document here are a few bits of information. Note that a biometric card is not necessary for domestic identity but who knows if the various government departments we have to deal with here will accept that.
The combination of increased travel and fragmented regulations makes the security of identity documents a key element in the fight against terrorism, organised crime and identity theft.
The regulation is part of the Commission’s 2016 action plan to tackle travel document fraud. This called for measures to improve the security of documents such as identity and residence cards, particularly in the light of recent terrorist attacks.
The regulation does not require EU countries to introduce identity cards or to make the holding of an identity card compulsory. Nor does it prevent them from using other documents, such as driving licences, for domestic identification purposes.
Residence cards for family members who are non-EU nationals: must use the uniform format established by Regulation (EC) No 1030/2002 as amended by Regulation (EU) 2017/1954 and Implementing Decision C(2018) 7767; and
have the title ‘Residence Card’ or ‘Permanent residence card’ according to Directive 2004/38/EC and the standardised code ‘Family Member EU Art 10 DIR 2004/38/EC’ or ‘Family Member EU Art 20 DIR 2004/38/EC’;
currently in circulation will no longer be valid on their expiry date or by 3 August 2026, whichever is earlier. Cards that do not meet minimum security standards or include a functional MRZ will no longer be valid on their expiry date or by 3 August 2023, whichever is earlier.

All very interesting but none of this applies to UK nationals unless they are partners / family members of EU citizens .. see the scope paragraph..
Tuppence

Post by Tuppence »

Mark 4007

I know you don't want to believe you have to change a paper document to a biometric card, we've been through this before, but can you please explain what the following, from my original post, means?

Residence cards for family members who are non-EU nationals: must use the uniform format established by Regulation (EC) No 1030/2002 as amended by Regulation (utb) 2017/1954 and Implementing Decision C(2018) 7767
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Fishbeardsunset, it sounds as if you, having arrived after the UK's Brexit agreement, have come here under different terms to many of us who have been living here previously ( before Brexit) as EU citizens. If this is so then the subject being talked about on this post may not apply to you.
mark4007

Post by mark4007 »

Tuppence wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:47 am Mark 4007

I know you don't want to believe you have to change a paper document to a biometric card, we've been through this before, but can you please explain what the following, from my original post, means?

Residence cards for family members who are non-EU nationals: must use the uniform format established by Regulation (EC) No 1030/2002 as amended by Regulation (utb) 2017/1954 and Implementing Decision C(2018) 7767
The aim and scope of the regulation is clear..

"WHAT IS THE AIM OF THE REGULATION?
* It strengthens the security of identity cards EU countries issue to their own nationals and of residence documents they provide other EU citizens and their family members.
* It introduces minimum standards for the information contained on the cards and the security features all EU countries issuing such documents must apply."

these regulations are all about EU citizens and their family members.. UK nationals are not EU citizens (unless they have become so or are married to EU citizens..

the bit that you are quoting from is in relation to family members of EU citizens. It has nothing to do with non EU nationals (for example most UK nationals) who are not married to EU nationals..

Most Third country nationsls in Cyprus, so for exanple most UK nationsls are simply not within the scope of the regulations, nor are they supposed to be if you look at the aim of the regulations..
Last edited by mark4007 on Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mark4007

Post by mark4007 »

fishbeardsunset wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:03 pm Just to add my two pence- I have my residency biometric card from March last year and it is stamped as valid up till 28/4/33 and also permits me to enter the UK for a period of 5 years to stay, if I wish- without any penalties if I so then desire to return back to Cyprus.

With that in mind, I cannot consider that any subsequent changes to that arrangement in the near future will impact me, having got this card
prior to any subsequent changes, so then I would argue what is the point of it all in the first place??

Anybody????????
whilst i do not think you will be disavantaged.. the history of visas / residents paperwork etc would suggest whatever arrangements that are currently in place will be superceeded at some point..

and yep.. i agree what is the point of exchanging a yellow slip for a plastic card unless there is a real an immediate benefit.. (so for example exchanging an meu1 yellow slip for an MUKW3 biometric card)...
Tuppence

Post by Tuppence »

Mark 4007

Post Brexit British Nationals are protected by the withdrawal agreement https://www.legislation.gov.uk/eut/with ... article/18

Which amongst a lot of other things states:

The host State may require Union citizens or United Kingdom nationals, their respective family members and other persons, who reside in its territory in accordance with the conditions set out in this Title, to apply for a new residence status which confers the rights under this Title and a document evidencing such status which may be in a digital form.

A yellow slip is just a certificate of permanent residence, a biometric card is proof of your immigration status

My biometric card shows that it has been issued under Article (18) 4 of the Agreement 2019/C 384 I/01

If you don't want to get a biometric card that is, of course, entirely your decision but at sometime in the not too distant future if you leave Cyprus to go to the UK or on holiday you may find that it is not so easy to get back into the country if you can only show a yellow slip with your passport.
mark4007

Post by mark4007 »

Tuppence wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:57 pm Mark 4007

Post Brexit British Nationals are protected by the withdrawal agreement https://www.legislation.gov.uk/eut/with ... article/18

Which amongst a lot of other things states:

The host State may require Union citizens or United Kingdom nationals, their respective family members and other persons, who reside in its territory in accordance with the conditions set out in this Title, to apply for a new residence status which confers the rights under this Title and a document evidencing such status which may be in a digital form.

A yellow slip is just a certificate of permanent residence, a biometric card is proof of your immigration status

My biometric card shows that it has been issued under Article (18) 4 of the Agreement 2019/C 384 I/01

If you don't want to get a biometric card that is, of course, entirely your decision but at sometime in the not too distant future if you leave Cyprus to go to the UK or on holiday you may find that it is not so easy to get back into the country if you can only show a yellow slip with your passport.
yep.. I agree Cyprus may require UK nationals to apply for a new residence status document.... as of yet it hasnt and as of yet it hasnt announced any plans to do so.

You are right that its my decsion .. and of course you have the right to speculate, what may or may not happen in the future.
fishbeardsunset

Post by fishbeardsunset »

Kili01 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:40 am Fishbeardsunset, it sounds as if you, having arrived after the UK's Brexit agreement, have come here under different terms to many of us who have been living here previously ( before Brexit) as EU citizens. If this is so then the subject being talked about on this post may not apply to you.
To Kili01 If you read the original post- the query was to do with the following (quote) :

"Over the last couple of weeks several acquaintances have said that they are in no hurry to get the biometric card as they've heard that it will all change in 2026.This is news to us and we have already applied for our card anyway,
As far as we are aware the change in 2026 will be that it will be compulsory to have a biometric card, but has anyone heard anything to the contrary"

I have been living here in Cyprus since 2016, (pre-Brexit or whilst they were faffing about trying to enforce it following the leave vote also in late 2016)- yet, the fact that I have now swapped my yellow slip for the new biometric card, was purely a personal choice, rather than waiting till 2026.

I don't have a crystal ball,so I haven't any notion as to what the state of play will be, like anyone else here that maybe thinking of exchanging theirs
-- but,at least I have a card that "technically" covers me for 10 years under the current regulations.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Quoting from fishbeardsunset in the previous comment:'I don't have a crystal ball,so I haven't any notion as to what the state of play will be, like anyone else here that maybe thinking of exchanging theirs -- but,at least I have a card that "technically" covers me for 10 years under the current regulations'.

My sentiments exactly - especially as for many people their circumstances may have changed since they originally went to the Immigration Office.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Kili01 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:36 am Has anyone noticed that since Brexit, our status as EU citizens is past? We have become 3rd world citizens. Thus every time one needs to go to a Govt office, procedures to upgrade any document have become more complicated?
As I do sometimes want to travel to other EU countries its worth keeping up with necessary changes to documents.
No we haven't. The term is "Third country". There is a big difference between "Third country" and "Third world".
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.