Traffice light cameras

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paul

Traffice light cameras

Post by Paul »

Be warned these cameras also been used for speeding as well as red light running.
I got flashed on a green light!!
daveg

Re: Traffice light cameras

Post by daveg »

Thanks Paul....big brother is here ..l understand that speeding should be controlled but let's be honest some of the speed limits are set too low ..and alter within a very short distance...
WHL

Post by WHL »

daveg wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:04 pm Thanks Paul....big brother is here ..l understand that speeding should be controlled but let's be honest some of the speed limits are set too low ..and alter within a very short distance...
Driving through london recently alot of roads have been reduced to a 20mph limit, you spent more time looking :shock: at the speedo then the road :shock:
wantoosoon

Post by wantoosoon »

The 30 km/h roads here also feel very slow and almost no one sticks to that limit. The Mesogi road is the same at 50 km/h and is a perfect example of a stroad. Sticking up a sign with a number on it will never effectively control traffic speed, any more than Cyprus's many stop signs make people stop. It would be better to incorporate speed control into the design of roads so that drivers instinctively feel the appropriate speed, as happens in the Netherlands. For example, a narrow, curved road with trees close by will slow drivers down.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

That may work in the Netherlands, but in Cyprus where the standard of driving is pretty low, but the tendency to speed is common, bends in the road planted densely with trees could increase the number of fatal road accidents.
mark4007

Post by mark4007 »

As per the article in philenews, the traffic light cameras in Paphos are not yet active..

see

https://in-cyprus.philenews.com/local/s ... nd-paphos/
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Certainly there are Cameras installed at the major junction near Lidl
Trev..
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

trevnhil wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:45 am Certainly there are Cameras installed at the major junction near Lidl
There certainly are Trevor, and I’ve seen them trigger and flash several times even if that data is not yet being used to generate tickets.

Here’s a question for you all. For years I’ve noted that when there is a TL controlled junction, the one near Lidl Trevor refers to is a perfect example, with a separate green light for those turning right in addition to the ‘Normal’ green light - the one below the amber light, what normally happened is:

1 - the turn right green light goes green on its own
2 - this stays on by itself for a few seconds, then goes out
3 - there is then a short gap when neither of the two green lights are on
4 - then the “normal’ green light goes green.

So what I’ve always though is that at point 3, if you’re wishing to turn right and it’s clear to do so, you can still turn right, as at that point green is next and the opposing traffic is still at the same state, so rather than waiting for point 4 when the normal green light is on for everyone going straight on AND those wishing to turn right (if it’s clear).

That’s the way everybody seems to think judging by the immediate hoots if anybody who waits gets - witness load of hire car drivers heading for Polis direction at that junction being ‘encouraged’ to get a move on.

I was very surprised the other evening, quite late when it was pretty quiet, when a car coming up Ellados to those lights turned right at point 3 and the new camera immediately triggered and flashed. I was the first car at the lights waiting to head up towards Polemi and there was no other traffic around - no car that was potentially speeding down through the junction heading toward Paphos. So the only vehicle that could have triggered it was the car turning right, in what I thought was a legitimate manner.

So is that the new cameras not yet configured correctly, or for years have I completely misunderstood the way the signals work here when turning right?

I nearly fell out of my seat when that camera went off but fortunately the nice sports seats inflate to hug my figure and hold me in tightly 😂😂

Maybe I should just do what my neighbour did when she passed her test later in life when I was a kid - only make journeys where you can turn left!

Ian
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

your gap, number 3, is there to make sure that cars that have already passed the white line can clear the road for vehicles coming in the opposite direction. In a way, it makes sense to clear the road for them and, therefore, crossing the white line may be counter-productive because it would allow you to block the others. That having been said I know where you're coming from and I agree that it's silly. No green light equals do not move!
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

A conundrum! Like Trev, I have followed the example of other drivers when turning right at traffic lights ‘between’ the ‘2’ green lights! If you loiter the drivers waiting behind you are tooting their horns in frustration!
I decided that it must be a Cyprus norm!
mark4007

Post by mark4007 »

At point 3 the lights are red and as such its clear that no one should allow any part of their vehicle to cross the stop line.

Its a rule that is ignored in Cyprus (but not the only one). I ignore it.

It is going to be interesting to see how the cameras are configured ... .

What I find interesting is that it appears that just the installation of the cameras has already meant that drivers are far more likely to stop at any red lights (not just those which have cameras).
wantoosoon

Post by wantoosoon »

Kili01 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:55 pm That may work in the Netherlands, but in Cyprus where the standard of driving is pretty low, but the tendency to speed is common, bends in the road planted densely with trees could increase the number of fatal road accidents.
Traffic calming measures are dangerous, folks! You read it here first! This must be one of the worst arguments I've read on this forum, and that's really saying something.

The current system of doing nothing doesn't work, so alternatives should be considered. If drivers can't cope with turns and trees, they shouldn't be driving.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

The solution at all traffic light intersections would be to have the yellow hash lines box area (or whatever it's official term happens to be) so that vehicles cannot enter this section unless their exit is clear.
So many times traffic cannot move when its lights turn green because people who had previous priority have driven bumper to bumper thus causing a blockage when their lights turn red.
It would certainly make the job of the cameras easier to define.
mark4007

Post by mark4007 »

galexinda wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:28 pm The solution at all traffic light intersections would be to have the yellow hash lines box area (or whatever it's official term happens to be) so that vehicles cannot enter this section unless their exit is clear.
So many times traffic cannot move when its lights turn green because people who had previous priority have driven bumper to bumper thus causing a blockage when their lights turn red.
It would certainly make the job of the cameras easier to define.
Thata not how yellow boxes work. If for example you are turning right you can enter a yellow box and stop in the box.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

[quote=mark4007 post_id=168143 time=1703270479 user_id=4928
Thata not how yellow boxes work. If for example you are turning right you can enter a yellow box and stop in the box.
[/quote]

I haven't opened the Highway code for many years and never a Cypriot one. However, I think that galexinda may be right.
brengreen

Post by brengreen »

You may not enter until your exit road is clear. However you can wait in the yellow box at traffic lights if the only thing stopping you from exiting is incoming traffic
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Galexinda is 100% correct. You may not enter the yellow boxed area untill you have a clear exit. That is why they are there.
All things are possible
brengreen

Post by brengreen »

Unless it is different in Cyprus in the Uk you can wait in the yellow box at traffice lights if turning right and the only thing stopping you from exiting is the oncoming traffic.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

This is from the UK Highway code:

Box junctions. These have criss-cross yellow lines painted on the road (download ‘Road markings’). You MUST NOT enter the box until your exit road or lane is clear. However, you may enter the box and wait when you want to turn right, and are only stopped from doing so by oncoming traffic, or by other vehicles waiting to turn right. At signalled roundabouts you MUST NOT enter the box unless you can cross over it completely without stopping.
Law TSRGD regs 10(1) & 29(2)

https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/road-ju ... rn%20right.

However, it is worth noting that you can only do this if exit of the box junction is clear. If there is solid traffic at the exit, then you shouldn't enter the box junction.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »