Electric Cars - Caveat Emptor

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Aargent

Electric Cars - Caveat Emptor

Post by Aargent »

Just read this article and was somewhat surprised. Just traded in my petrol driven 6 year old BMW X1 and in all that time it it dropped 20 %.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/elect ... r-comments
Alastair

Nil illigitimi carborundum
Uncle D

Re: Electric Cars - Caveat Emptor

Post by Uncle D »

That's a UK car magazine, a completely different car market than in Cyprus
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
mark4007

Post by mark4007 »

If I told you that the price of new TVs were falling would that be a good or a bad thing?

If i went onto to say the price of a second hand TV was falling rapidly would you be surprised.. of course not.. new TVs are better and cheaper than they were a couple of years ago,,

The same thing has been going on for most electronuc items for years..

new EVs are just the same.. the 2024 version will be better and in real terms cheaper than now.. second hand prices will also fall..

This is a good thing.. Its strange that some make "news" by appearing to. claim its a bad thing..
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

mark4007 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:16 pm This is a good thing.. Its strange that some make "news" by appearing to. claim its a bad thing..
it's the Daily Mail. Who can possibly believe what they write? In any case, some of the old prices they quote were from cars which had not made the open market. Caveat emptor indeed!
wantoosoon

Post by wantoosoon »

mark4007 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:16 pm If I told you that the price of new TVs were falling would that be a good or a bad thing?

If i went onto to say the price of a second hand TV was falling rapidly would you be surprised.. of course not.. new TVs are better and cheaper than they were a couple of years ago,,

The same thing has been going on for most electronuc items for years..

new EVs are just the same.. the 2024 version will be better and in real terms cheaper than now.. second hand prices will also fall..

This is a good thing.. Its strange that some make "news" by appearing to. claim its a bad thing..
They're comparing the change in depreciation of the same car models one year apart. There are no technological differences between them. Some of them have depreciated around 40% more than they did a year earlier. It's effectively a measure of deflation in the used EV market. The article takes into account the fall in new EV prices, and there are clearly other factors involved. Finally, it's obviously a bad thing if you're looking to sell.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Electric cars are not yet a proven reliable technology, people are reluctant to buy resale vehicles because of the expense of batteries, that coupled with lack of infrastructure for charging etc.
I've just read that Tesla are recalling 2 million cars in the US on safety grounds
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Uncle D wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:04 am I've just read that Tesla are recalling 2 million cars in the US on safety grounds
Well those that they have sold elsewhere remain absolutely safe – perhaps?
Aargent

Post by Aargent »

Devil wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:46 am
Uncle D wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:04 am I've just read that Tesla are recalling 2 million cars in the US on safety grounds
Well those that they have sold elsewhere remain absolutely safe – perhaps?
Apparently they don't actually recall the cars they send out an internet patch, which I suspect means that the owners will have to comply with certain conditions. I can see a lot of them being missed.
Alastair

Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

If I had an EV car, the first thing I would do is buy the Paphos Life road trip eBooks. They are great and there are now five of them, covering mainly Paphos, but also Ayia Napa and Protaras. You can find them all here:

https://amzn.to/45CcwvK
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Aargent wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:23 pm Apparently they don't actually recall the cars they send out an internet patch, which I suspect means that the owners will have to comply with certain conditions. I can see a lot of them being missed.
Sorry, that answer begs the question that something in the US needs modification but not elsewhere. Why? Does the company perceive that users of their product in Europe, Asia or Africa don't matter?
Aargent

Post by Aargent »

Devil wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:33 pm
Aargent wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:23 pm Apparently they don't actually recall the cars they send out an internet patch, which I suspect means that the owners will have to comply with certain conditions. I can see a lot of them being missed.
Sorry, that answer begs the question that something in the US needs modification but not elsewhere. Why? Does the company perceive that users of their product in Europe, Asia or Africa don't matter?
I thought that the Internet was Global.
Alastair

PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Aargent wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:45 pm
Devil wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:33 pm
I thought that the Internet was Global.

It is global but that’s missing the point a little.

Note that the Tesla US recall has nothing to do with the car being an EV.

It relates to AutoPilot functionality software and the controls around the use of that software by drivers of Tesla vehicles after a long investigation by the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Tesla dispute the findings however are complying by doing the required changes via an over the air update, as can be done with many new cars now, so owners don’t have to visit a dealership.

It affects US rather than U.K. vehicles as per these quotes from the BBC article on the same subject yesterday:

- “The UK Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency said it was not aware of any safety issues involving Teslas in the UK”

- “ The UK Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency said it was not aware of any safety issues involving Teslas in the UK, noting that cars sold in the UK are not equipped with all of the same features as cars in the US.”

Ian
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Doesn't worry me any, can't afford a Tesla, and even if I could, I still wouldn't buy one.

As for EVs, when they can prove to me, that after a few hours of bumper to bumper crawl on our motorways, they can come out and charge my EV, along with all the others in the queue, then forget it. Can't ever see it happening.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I too wondered what would happen especially in winter when you are in a prolonged traffic jam on the UK motorway network
Trev..
Aargent

Post by Aargent »

If it gets down to freezing you can lose up to 20% of your range say about 50 miles. I don't know what happens if it gets down to sasy minus 10.

If you have an average size EV you can call out the AA If you have a small EV it has to be the AAA
Alastair

Firefly

Post by Firefly »

:lol: Love it.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
mark4007

Post by mark4007 »

trevnhil wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:51 am I too wondered what would happen especially in winter when you are in a prolonged traffic jam on the UK motorway network
Wonder no more..

https://www.howtogeek.com/118940/are-ev ... ffic-jams/
mark4007

Post by mark4007 »

I wonder if when Henry ford first built the Model T there were people going round saying they would never give up their horse and cart..

If an EV is cheaper and better than an ICE then why wouldnt people choose to buy them?

You could argue that we are not at that stage yet.. But to say "Never" is a bit strange..
Aargent

Post by Aargent »

mark4007 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:26 pm I wonder if when Henry ford first built the Model T there were people going round saying they would never give up their horse and cart..

If an EV is cheaper and better than an ICE then why wouldnt people choose to buy them?

You could argue that we are not at that stage yet.. But to say "Never" is a bit strange..
I should not think that he would have been bothered by the time Henry introduced the Model T ,which sold 15 million, cars had been around, in some shape or form , for over 20 years and he was doing well with the Model A etc. There was even an Electric car at that time, by Detroit Electric but not a lot came of it.
Alastair

Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Mark4007

Rather than relying on one man's opinion, I prefer to wait and see the outcome, if such an event happens on our motorways. Until then I'll stick with what I've got.

I see that the article mentions the Tesla again, what is it with those cars, that they seem to be the be all and end all for some people?