Triple Glazing

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
harveywinning

Triple Glazing

Post by harveywinning »

Our house is increasingly suffering from Traffic noise. Is it worth replacing the double glazed patio doors with triple glazing and if so would it be effective? Any other suggestions to reduce the intrusive noise would be welcomed. At times it's even difficult to hear the TV.
trevnhil

Re: Triple Glazing

Post by trevnhil »

I have never heard of triple-glazing here. But because you are asking I assume you have checked that it is available. There is also an insulation value to changing to UPVC patio doors. Again assuming they can be made with Triple Glazing here
Also would you really need to change other windows as well. An expensive job I would think.
Trev..
Coles

Post by Coles »

Hi,

As an ex-Everest Sales Consultant I would point out that triple glazing is all about increased thermal efficiency and has very little impact on noise reduction. In fact, some triple glazing can make noise worse as it can cause vibration in the centre glass panel.

The best solution would be acoustic/noise reducing double glazing if you can find it. Basically, this has a 6mm toughened safety glass outer glass rather than the standard 4mm glass. This breaks up the sound more effectively.

In the event that you come across triple acoustic glazing, my advice would be to avoid this for reasons stated above. Everest discontinued their triple acoustic glazing as it didn’t deliver any better the noise reduction than the double. Although there was an improvement in thermal efficiency, lack of demand was probably the reason for discontinuing the triple acoustic.

If you can’t find acoustic or sound reducing glass then it is worth looking at your existing doors. If they are poorly fitting, aluminium framed or the gap between the panes of glass is very narrow (28mm gap is the UK Standard), then these will all add to poor noise reduction. You may find that simply replacing the doors with new standard double glazed UPVC ones will be an improvement in terms of noise but there are no guarantees this would be the case.

Hope this helps.

Andy
clive of payia

Post by clive of payia »

Thank you for that Andy most helpful. Would installing separate sliding glazed panels just behind the double-glazing reduce the traffic noise? I had a private glazier install this in my London office that overlooked Oxford Street and was very effective.

Clive
Coles

Post by Coles »

Hi Clive,

Yes secondary glazing would reduce the sound through an existing window or patio door. I would suggest toughened safety glass for this (if possible), and to minimise the weight of this if fitted to patio doors, I would probably opt for 4mm thickness rather than 6mm.

A bit like a glazed fly screen in effect.

The trick here will be to ensure that the frame is sealed into the window/door reveals to stop noise coming through any gap between the secondary glazing frame and the plasterwork. Hope this makes sense.

Andy
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I have strong UPVC framed, sealed double glazing. It is the 'tilt and turn' type.When installed the heavy frames were cemented and screwed into the door and window reveals. I think that it was important to change all the windows in the house and their frames, with the new sealed double glazed windows throughout the whole house.
This was done, our house has proved remarkably soundproof, even with builders demolishing all the internal walls of brick and cement while the house, close to mine, was under complete 'remodeling'. The builders were using some tools akin to jack hammers to demolish the concrete. Needless to say these windows are completely draught proof and help retain the heat in the rooms during cold weather.

Dee