Gardeners - your biggest enemy?

For the green fingered and water lovers.
martinshorthose

Gardeners - your biggest enemy?

Post by martinshorthose »

As we embark on the fourth attempted purchase of an house in Cyprus, I've been reflecting on the miserable time my garden here in Wales has had this year, hoping things will be better there.
Recently, I lost two whole rows of rocket to cabbage white caterpillers who appeared, stayed a day (unnoticed) and then disappeared, reducing the rocket to stems. Something ate every last one of my gooseberries in 24hrs this year - birds or red squirrels perhaps. There are slugs and snails absolutely everywhere, and they seem to want to try everything this year from courgette plants to beans, as well as the usual. Aside from pests, the weather has been poor so the tomatoes, courgettes and everything else seems to have suffered a bad year.
If and when we finally get to Cyprus, can I expect any improvement? I'd aim to grow salad ingredients, and replace municipal-style shrubs with useful fruit-bearing ones. There's maybe scope for some interesting stuff like an avocado, a passionfruit and who knows what else.
What are the common pests and predators to watch out for there? What is going to decimate my crops?
Water is presumably the biggest issue, but in my small garden, that's going to be fixable.
As a slight aside, what is the white stuff painted on the bottom half of trees and what does it work to prevent? My first thought is that it might stop emerging cicadas from climbing into the foliage, but I'm probably wrong.
Thanks for your hints and tips in advance.