Mobile phone questions

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
trevnhil

Mobile phone questions

Post by trevnhil »

Hi all. It seems like it is time for me to buy a new mobile phone, and I want to stick with Samsung.
But, being hopeless with mobile phones what happens when you go into a shop and buy one.

Do you have to go home with the box and work it all out for yourself? ie transferring EVERYTHING from the old existing phone to the new one, and setting up security and fingerprints?

Or does the shop do all this for you ??? Because I don't have all the knowledge needed to set a new phone up !!!
Trev..
J B

Re: Mobile phone questions

Post by J B »

Trev
I'm UK based and only have knowledge of my home country, sorry.
Firstly, who is your phone number with? CYTA or?
Are you Pay As You Go (PAYG) or monthly contract?

We have a CYTA so-easy PAYG - I went into the CYTA shop in the Paphos Mall about a year ago and the guy there was very helpful when I wanted a new sim card. He gave me a new sim (whilst remarking how antique the one I had was!!) and made sure that it was working on my number.
Last edited by J B on Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J B
daveg

Post by daveg »

Went to Stephanis a few months ago ,bought another phone and they transferred all the data from the old one to it for free...
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

JB... PAYG with Cyta. They have changed the Sim Card.

daveg. Thanks for that info about them transferring everything for free. Maybe they would help me set up the phone as well, ie security etc
Trev..
J B

Post by J B »

I suppose then, Trev, you need to go a bit of googling before you go shopping so you don't fall victim to heavy sales talk! :lol:

My search on CYTA only found this Samsung https://www.cyta.com.cy/samsung-galaxy-s23/en which is €899 (right at the bottom of the page, 'device only'

Stephanis, however seem to have over 100 of them from €145 to over 2k!

https://www.stephanis.com.cy/en/product ... =price-asc

Sorted by lowest price first (of course :oops: )

Good luck!
J B
WHL

Post by WHL »

Trev we are with cyta, but buy our phones else where, recently my wife bought a new Samsung from public, we went to the cyta shop in larnaca mall and the lady there happily sorted an issue my wife had with the english sim on the phone sorted some other issues etc all with a smile, they are the most helpful people , having said that the shop that sells you the phone should be able to get the phone up and running for you good luck
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

trevnhil wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:17 pm JB... PAYG with Cyta. They have changed the Sim Card.

daveg. Thanks for that info about them transferring everything for free. Maybe they would help me set up the phone as well, ie security etc
Do you go to Cyta in Polis, if not, go there you will be in and out in 5 minutes, unlike Paphos
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I have never had a problem time-wise in Paphos HQ. But I never thought of going to Polis and may do in the future as I live just about in the middle between Paphos and Polis..
Trev..
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

We did the same as you Trev. My wife and I upgraded our ancient Nokias to the Smart Samsung Galaxy A20 for me. We bought it from a shop in Paphos and they transfered all the data/apps for us. We are on CYTA Pay as you go. Make sure that they go through everything withyou as the Smart Phone is a complicated thing if you are not shown how it all works. We went the CYTA a couple of time after to verify a few things. Good luck.
All things are possible
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Good morning all. Thanks to everyone for their advice. I did indeed bite the bullet and get a new phone this morning. But the Shop said they could not help me other than give advice about transferring everything from the old phone to the new one. So, out of the frying pan and into the fire :-(
Trev..
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

trevnhil wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:36 am Good morning all. Thanks to everyone for their advice. I did indeed bite the bullet and get a new phone this morning. But the Shop said they could not help me other than give advice about transferring everything from the old phone to the new one. So, out of the frying pan and into the fire :-(
Take the new phone to CYTA. They will do it for you.
Still showing me various items on the mobile phone I have had for over 3 years which I bought from a shop in Paphos.
Like you I use CYTA PAYG.
jeba

Post by jeba »

I had my phone bought via ebay and simply asked a guy in a computer repair shop to make my new phone behave like my old one. Of course, there was a small fee (10 or 20 Euros, can´t remember) but I never had a problem since.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Hi all. Just to update you and finalise this. I did buy a new phone from Stephanis. When I asked the guy there about transferring all my 'data' from the old phone to the new one, he told me they were not allowed to do it.. Gradually that changed to them not having time to do it. So, a little fearful, I went to Cyta and asked them if they could do it. They said wherever I got the phone from should do it as they had made the 'Sale'
However, I was then told that if they did it there would be a charge of 15 euros.. I thought that very reasonable and it took around 45 minutes and was done by connecting the two phones with a cable.
I did lose all my WhatsApp messages but I believe that was because I had not got them backed up
So with a little help from friends, I still have one or two things to sort out.
But thank you all for your advice
Trev..
J B

Post by J B »

trevnhil wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:08 pm
I did lose all my WhatsApp messages but I believe that was because I had not got them backed up
Doh!
That's easily done - despite Whatsapp being set to auto-back up, it doesn't actually do it unless you do so manually before changeover.

If you really want the old messages, you can put the sim back in the old phone, back them up, then sim back in new phone and restore them, but that's a simple summary of a somewhat complicated process.
Maybe not worth the hassle to you?

:)
J B
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Thanks for the info J B. But for me it is not worth it as I have only been on the a couple of weeks
Trev..