Induction Hob Part 2

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
MacManiac

Induction Hob Part 2

Post by MacManiac »

Our planned induction hob moved down the wish list, once my darling wife’s attention was directed to water dispensers. Now that is achieved, the next target is an induction hob.

I am aware there are advantages and disadvantages to them and one of the points we have found is that some hobs have distinct zones (normally four) and some seem to allow pots to be placed anywhere on the hob, and that area heats up. Does anyone have any recommendations that will help us on our journey?
trevnhil

Re: Induction Hob Part 2

Post by trevnhil »

I have an induction hob that has four separate zones and I am very happy with it.. But of course there is only me using it so one area is all need
Trev..
memory man

Post by memory man »

trevnhil wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:54 pm But of course there is only me using it so one area is all need
What if you are heating/cooking 2 different items?
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Ha ha, well you know my situation. And at the moment one pan is just fine :-) But all four 'rings' do work
Trev..
sunspot

Post by sunspot »

Our Siemens induction hob lets you choose on both the left-hand and right-hand sides: using the full surface back to front as one zone, or controlling each zone separately. Induction is much easier to clean than gas. You can heat food with greater precision. No gas tank to worry about. We would not go back to gas or ceramic.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

sunspot wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:19 am Our Siemens induction hob lets you choose on both the left-hand and right-hand sides: using the full surface back to front as one zone, or controlling each zone separately. Induction is much easier to clean than gas. You can heat food with greater precision. No gas tank to worry about. We would not go back to gas or ceramic.
The advantage of a GAS HOB is that is and when the electricity goes off you can still cook a meal or boils water for tea/coffee. :D
All things are possible
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

I’ve found that if using more than one pan it can be tricky controlling the temperatures. The magnetic disc doesn’t seem to know which ‘ring’ you want to change. I would have preferred a hob with knobs but it came with the house.
glang3000

Post by glang3000 »

As long as you don't have a pacemaker, the strong magnet in an induction hob can stop them from working.

Gary.
sunspot

Post by sunspot »

Our induction hob has touch controls. No magnetic discs.

Aware of the power cut issues, we decided to buy a 1-ring portable gas hob just in case. In 3 years we have used it a couple of times. We were glad to have it, but are still happy we went with an induction hob with its many advantages.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

My induction hob has touch controls as well. Whichever one of the four 'rings' you put a pan on that is automatically switched on at high. You then just touch the heat number to change the heat setting to what you want.
Trev..
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

glang3000 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:47 pm As long as you don't have a pacemaker, the strong magnet in an induction hob can stop them from working.

Gary.
I now have an excuse not to go into the kitchen :-) :-)
glang3000

Post by glang3000 »

The rings on an induction hob work by very strong electro magnetism, not the controls, the hob does not warm up, you can put it on high and put your hand on the cold glass, it will however effect some watches and many pacemakers.
On a display I have put a £20 note under a pan and boiled an egg, the note is undamaged.

Gary,
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

The British Heart Foundation say that Induction Hobs can affect a pacemaker.. If you have a pacemaker, I would not have thought it worth taking the risk
https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsuppo ... pacemakers
Trev..
kansas

Post by kansas »

I think we'll stick with our gas hob despite having solar panels recently fitted. It can still be used when you have a power cut and from what we've been told it's much easier to adjust the heat quickly.
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

Thank you all for your opinions. We shall proceed carefully.
glang3000

Post by glang3000 »

If you want my advice, I have been installing kitchens with gas and electric hobs for 32 years, I would go with electric, Induction if you do not have a pacemaker, electric is cheaper, easier to clean and much safer, also, I have not seen any gas installed hobs in Cyprus that would meet safety standards in the UK but have seen many that I would consider very dangerous. I was a Corgi registered installer.

Gary.
kansas

Post by kansas »

We had a power cut last night just at the time we were cooking our evening meal.. Thankful we had a gas hob......
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

the power cut lasted about 15 minutes, so not a big problem. we ate a little bit later.
Louise :)
kansas

Post by kansas »

Lucky for you Louise, ours lasted quite a bit longer......