Re: Jumbo's refunds

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
fishbeardsunset

Post by fishbeardsunset »

:D Hi there thought I would share this piece of advice for those of you who visit "JUMOS" in the Mall in Paphos and may be unaware of their refund policy

I purchased a shower head as mine was was knackered- and took the old one in to measure the hose aperture size so it would fit
Unfortunately, all their products on display were sealed so you could not check and or/a lot did not have the measurements on the packaging.

Also at the check- out I specifically asked the girl if it could be returned if it was not the correct one and she replied yes

So I grabbed a cheap one it was only 3.99 euros but when I got it home it was just 1mm too large to fit the the hose. I checked my receipt and it said non defective products could be returned and gave the days and times for returns.

So yesterday I went to the returns desk at the main entrance and the girl said that they do not refund money, but could issue a credit voucher which had to be used the same day. I queried this as I said that seemed a little unfair and they could have given the customer maybe 7-10 days to use the voucher She said the only other thing was to take the unit back and call again at another time.

Anyway, I was in a hurry but quickly grabbed some stationery items and did a rough calculations to the total price. At the checkout,the items purchased came to 3.66 euros so cheekily I said "what about my change" to which the girl said there is none!!

I could not see any written information at the checkout or at the entrance or anywhere in the store which informs customs of their policy
and because it was such a minor amount anyway, I was not too worried. However, may have been a bit peeved if it had been a more expensive item and would have had to ensured that the replacement items were of the same value or more otherwise- I would hazard a guess that the difference would just be lost- in Jumbo's favour!

I am not aware of what other retailers do in their stores, but will definitely ask in future just to be on the safe side
I did manage to get another shower head from a DIY store in the end 8-)
sunspot

Re: Re: Jumbo's refunds

Post by sunspot »

At Superhome Centre, they also give credit vouchers as refunds. But we did get change back when we purchased something with a slightly lower price.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Many many firms have restrictive terms and conditions. Sometimes they are on the receipt
Trev..
fishbeardsunset

trevnhil wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:28 am Many many firms have restrictive terms and conditions. Sometimes they are on the receipt
Hi Trev- all it has on the back of Jumbos receipts are the actual timetables for defective and non defective products- and the credit voucher has only one sentence in English saying: "Valid for today" :roll: :roll:
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

It is certainly not good customer service.. But it seems they don't care :-)
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

In larnaca there are signs at the entrance explaining their policy, always read the small print folks.
kansas

Post by kansas »

OVS offer either a credit voucher or a refund to your card for an original sale. However, if you use the credit voucher to buy something else and then decide to return that item, you will only get another credit voucher.

I found out about Jumbo's the hard way, and couldn't believe I had to use the credit voucher on the same day.....
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

There is a difference between returning something because it doesn’t fit and for a defective product. If the product is defective, the policy may be different. If the size is incorrect - it’s Ok with me for a store not to give a cash refund as it would be a buyer’s error. You will know now for next time to return non defective items on the day that you want to buy something else. I do agree Jumbo is a bit harsh for you to have to use the credit on the same day. Superhome will give you a cash refund for defective items if you ask or a credit voucher for others for use over time and they will give you cash change it your purchase is less.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
fishbeardsunset

Lofos-Jan wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:47 am There is a difference between returning something because it doesn’t fit and for a defective product. If the product is defective, the policy may be different. If the size is incorrect - it’s Ok with me for a store not to give a cash refund as it would be a buyer’s error. You will know now for next time to return non defective items on the day that you want to buy something else. I do agree Jumbo is a bit harsh for you to have to use the credit on the same day. Superhome will give you a cash refund for defective items if you ask or a credit voucher for others for use over time and they will give you cash change it your purchase is less.

Jeanne
As far as I am aware, their policy is exactly the same as they do not distinguish between the two, i.e, defective or non defective.
I remember now, buying a pair of headphones from Jumbos a few year back- and only one speaker channel was working.. The manager actually came down to the returns service desk and plugged them in to confirm that there was indeed a fault- but he still would not refund me any money and did the usual voucher issue- so I just swapped them for another pair and hoped for the best....still does not excuse their lack of flexibility regarding having to use the voucher only on the day of issue... I wouldn't be at all surprised if some people could not be arsed to return low priced items as it's not worth the hassle and just chuck them out...I expect Jumbos would indeed prefer that, as well :roll:
WHL

Post by WHL »

Accdrding to EU consumer laws, the store only has to give you a cash refund, if they can not fix or replace the item,

If goods you bought anywhere in the EU turn out to be faulty or do not look or work as advertised, the seller must repair or replace them free of charge or give you a price reduction or a full refund. You can usually only ask for a partial or full refund when it is not possible to repair or replace the goods

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/c ... dex_en.htm
fishbeardsunset

WHL wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:38 am Accdrding to EU consumer laws, the store only has to give you a cash refund, if they can not fix or replace the item,

If goods you bought anywhere in the EU turn out to be faulty or do not look or work as advertised, the seller must repair or replace them free of charge or give you a price reduction or a full refund. You can usually only ask for a partial or full refund when it is not possible to repair or replace the goods

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/c ... dex_en.htm
Thanks WHL- will bookmark the web link for information- That also reminds me- slightly off topic but a few months ago I bought some sandals in a shoe shop in the Old town of Paphos and the old boy who owned the shop, said he did not take debit cards because they cost him money to process the transaction- so I started to walk out the shop (knowing that was just crap) and he called me back- got his card reader out (under the counter) and then he said "ok next time you pay cash". I remarked "There won't be a next time! 8-) 8-)
ast

Post by ast »

Of course it costs the shop to process the transaction, card terminals dont operate for free. 8-)
I started off with nothing and have most of it left !
fishbeardsunset

ast wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:31 am Of course it costs the shop to process the transaction, card terminals dont operate for free. 8-)
I was referring to the fact that blatantly, he would not "accept " my debit card" as a means of payment - until I walked out of the shop :roll:
I know it costs him and other business people operational fees - but- he cannot use that as a legitimate excuse and that was what I meant by "crap" :D

It may have just been a coincidence but the reader as I had mentioned, was hidden under the counter and at no time did he state that he just did not have that facility or that would have been even a worse..deception... Hey Ho. 8-)
:D :D
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

I cant believe that anyone can expect to get a decent showerhead for 3.99 or a decent set of headphones from jumbo. get a life
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
WHL

Post by WHL »

fishbeardsunset wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:48 am
ast wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:31 am Of course it costs the shop to process the transaction, card terminals dont operate for free. 8-)
I was referring to the fact that blatantly, he would not "accept " my debit card" as a means of payment - until I walked out of the shop :roll:
I know it costs him and other business people operational fees - but- he cannot use that as a legitimate excuse and that was what I meant by "crap" :D

It may have just been a coincidence but the reader as I had mentioned, was hidden under the counter and at no time did he state that he just did not have that facility or that would have been even a worse..deception... Hey Ho. 8-)
:D :D
The law now says stores can not refuse card payments.
WHL

Post by WHL »

I have friend who owns a lady's clothes shop, he once told me, you wouldn't believe how many women go to his store on a friday , get some items, wear them over the weekend then take them back on a monday, claiming they didn't fit her and wanting a refund, hence the reason he would only do exchanges, he told me of an occasion when a lady came in wanting a refund, swearing on her life she hadnt worn the blouse, he reminded her that on the sunday they were at the same wedding and sat two tables away, and he remarked to his wife that lady bought that blouse from us, he never saw the embarrassed lady again.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

That's been going on for years, I knew someone who worked for a large well known catalogue shop in the UK.

They said that every Monday, men's suits would be returned for refund, with various reasons used for return. They said that you could see the tell tale pin holes, in the lapel of the jackets. Sometimes even confetti in the pockets.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
fishbeardsunset

When I was living in Brighton and a teenager- got a job in a trendy clothes shop- The owner used to do the same - but with shirts, wear
them once- get his wife to iron them pop it back in the cellophane wrapper, complete with the collar stiffener and then bring it back on a Monday morning to the shop to sell as a new item :roll: :roll: Unbelievable
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

As for refunds, Cyprus may belong to the EU, but I don't believe that they like to abide by EU rules.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Firefly wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:14 pm As for refunds, Cyprus may belong to the EU, but I don't believe that they like to abide by EU rules.

You know for a fact that Cyprus doesn't abide by EU rules, another I heard it down the pub post :roll: