Collecting water from your A/C...

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Collecting water from your A/C...

Post by cyprusmax47 »

In these humid days we have recently, perhaps you are able to collect the water running from your A/C. Instead to waste it, gather the condensate in a bucket or even a barrel, if you have one. On very humid days it can be as much as 50 liter or so.
Being basically distilled water, it lacks the essential calcium, magnesium, and potassium which is in normal water. (specially calcium)

It would be ideal for cleaning all kinds of solar panels, windows, tiled floors, patio floors, your car without leaving any stains, steam-ironing as well.

Max
Ams

Re: Collecting water from your A/C...

Post by Ams »

Unfortunately my a/c water outlets are close to the ground, but I can get a 5l watering can under one of them and a cat litter tray under another, and use the water for my plants.

As you said, it's amazing how much water you can collect on humid days.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

The office staff near us collect the water from the air conditioners use it to water the garden areas every day.
Sadly, a lady down the road continues to use her hosepipe to water the pavements and road twice a day.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

As they do, specially in the villages... even in times of water rationing.

Dee
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Kili01 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:18 pm As they do, specially in the villages... even in times of water rationing.

Dee
Nothing to do with the topic :roll:

Max
kansas

Post by kansas »

Thanks for the tip Max. I've just put a bowl underneath one of the aircon outlets. Would the water collected be OK to use in a steam iron instead of buying distilled water?
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

kansas wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:54 am Thanks for the tip Max. I've just put a bowl underneath one of the aircon outlets. Would the water collected be OK to use in a steam iron instead of buying distilled water?
As I mentioned it in my post, YES

However I would run it through a paper filter (coffee) if you have, in order to avoid any dust particles block your steam iron.

Max