Recommendation for a humidifier

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
kansas

Recommendation for a humidifier

Post by kansas »

Now that we're happily using our LG aircon units without worrying about large electricity bills, due to the recently installed solar panels, we've noticed that the humidity levels in the house are going down to below 20% which is not good.

Has anyone had the same problem and, if so, have they sourced a humidifier in Paphos that they could recommend. Amazon DE offer a wide range but the delivery costs can be prohibitive.

Thanks
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Re: Recommendation for a humidifier

Post by Devil »

we drape a damp towel on the unused radiator– works fine!
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Low humidity is a weather situation since 2 weeks, at least higher up in the hinterland of Paphos where i live and it is most of these days about 20%RH indoor and out.

I bought a couple of years ago an outdoor humidifier/aircooler from Green Air for my dog which blows fog in the air with a strong fan. This evaporative cooler i used also for some minutes to blow the highly humid air into the house which changed the situation immediately.

I use it also without the evaporative function just to blow the hot air out of the house in cooler mornings as the fan is very strong (300 w)

However if you are near the coast you will soon have the problem of too much humidity in August/September.

Max
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

In the olden days, when people had two and three bar electric fires, they used to have bowls of water scattered around the house. We run our aircon on 26c in our main living areas and are quite comfortable. Bedrooms, 25c but always have a bottle of water by the bed and drink if we wake up.
daveg

Post by daveg »

My LG aircons have a humidity program......
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

daveg wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:09 pm My LG aircons have a humidity program......
...this is to lower the humidity, not to increase it. It is most useful in winter to normalise the humidity, making life more comfortable.
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Have I been misunderstanding something? I always thought that increasing humidity level makes you feel hotter. Hence the night ‘feels like’ or heat index temps on weather forecasts. I definitely did last aturday night when down at at sea level in Paphos and the difference in how we felt compared to here in Polemi before and after our trip out was startling. Wouldn’t you want lower in the summer and and higher in the winter?

Ian
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Install A New Air Conditioner or Schedule HVAC Maintenance
When battling excessive humidity during the summer months, it is easy for an old air conditioning unit to overwork and malfunction. The best solution to controlling humidity levels in your home is to install an air-conditioning unit that can dehumidify in summer and add moisture in the winter. This popular HVAC upgrade will not only help to regulate humidity but will also help to lower heating and cooling bills in the summer and winter.

A section from this info page ---

https://aircareheatingandairllc.com/ind ... em%20bills.
sunspot

Post by sunspot »

PolemIan wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:15 pm Have I been misunderstanding something? I always thought that increasing humidity level makes you feel hotter. Hence the night ‘feels like’ or heat index temps on weather forecasts. I definitely did last aturday night when down at at sea level in Paphos and the difference in how we felt compared to here in Polemi before and after our trip out was startling. Wouldn’t you want lower in the summer and and higher in the winter?

Ian
Yes, humidity makes you feel warmer. But when humidity falls below 20%, some people have problems. My nasal passages feel cracked and itchy. My partner has nose bleeds. We have a small humidifier we bought via Amazon and move it around the house. Makes a big difference.

LG VRV systems can, according to the owners’ manual, include a humidifying feature, i.e. adding moisture. But you have to know it is a possibility before you buy, and ask for that feature.
Expresspete

Post by Expresspete »

We bought one from Stephanis three weeks ago for €59. Dies the job perfectly
Living the Sunshine dream 8-)
kansas

Post by kansas »

Thanks Expresspete, we popped into Stephanis this morning and bough the last one. At €49 it's a slightly smaller model but looks as though it will do the job perfectly. OH is reading the instructions as I type this.......