Paphos Walkway Update - The Movie

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Paphos Walkway Update - The Movie

Post by Dominic »

Let's see how work is progressing on the Coast Path between Paphos Castle and the Lighthouse Beach. You can read our report in the link below, but first, take a look for yourself as we fly the drone over the work area.

https://www.paphoslife.com/blog/paphos- ... une-update

Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Yioula

Re: Paphos Walkway Update - The Movie

Post by Yioula »

Thank you Dominic I’m sure that’s answered many potential tourist’s enquiries into how the work is proceeding

My question would be “ what’s happened to the workforce “ it looks like it’s been abandoned!!!!
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

I would love to know more about the opera near the castle.
Louise :)
Ancient History

Post by Ancient History »

Sadly, there will be no more operas in Paphos.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Do you want to elaborate on that?
lefkes

Post by lefkes »

Yioula wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:21 pm Thank you Dominic I’m sure that’s answered many potential tourist’s enquiries into how the work is proceeding

My question would be “ what’s happened to the workforce “ it looks like it’s been abandoned!!!!
Went down to the harbour area this morning and there were ten men in yellow work tops standing on a patch of dirt garden next to the taxi park with a pile of grey stone about to be spread out . I assume of the ten there were the architect and his assistant , the designer and his assistant, the
environmental controller and her assistant , the general works manager and his assistant ,the works foreman O yes and one old boy with a shovel who will be doing the work .
lefkes
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Perhaps the current Mayor doesn't like or want opera? He may prefer modern music....

Dee
LouiseCastricum

Kili01 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:39 pm Perhaps the current Mayor doesn't like or want opera? He may prefer modern music....

Dee
what a very strange remark.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

LouiseCastricum wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:34 pm
Kili01 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:39 pm Perhaps the current Mayor doesn't like or want opera? He may prefer modern music....

Dee
what a very strange remark.
Not really, given the source. She has made it perfectly clear that she doesn't like the Mayor in the past. Completely unfounded poisonous barbs are pretty much all she has to offer.
josef k

Post by josef k »

Thanks for this video. It is really progressing well and looks like it will be so much better than what was there before.
Cappielow1

Post by Cappielow1 »

Really looking good, hope the graffiti artists stay away
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Louise, we used to go to and enjoy the Opera every year, so also will miss it too.
I know that a lot of local permissions had to be given to stage it, including that of the Mayor. Who used to introduce it, in a long speech-on the first night. It was a big event on the Paphos calendar.
Whether the present mayor likes Opera is an an unknown. Maybe Dominic has the answer? He may know him?
But most recent concerts have been aimed at the general public and some were free. While seats for the Opera were expensive, but attracted big audiences none the less.
Dee
LouiseCastricum

Dee I live here for almost 30 years. I've been to all the opera's, didn't miss any of them. I really hope this annual event will return, but I do not believe it has anything whatsoever to do with the taste of Mr. Phedonas.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

josef k, The path seems to be taking a long time. It's 6 months now since it was closed before last Christmas. To me, having walked the previous path right to Lighthouse beach, most of the existing path was OK, except that the last little bit to the actual beach wasn't concreted.
It was used only by walkers, plus a few on bikes.
The new path looks much wider, is probably all beautifully stone paved, and with reinforcing underneath, possibly seen in the videos, hopefully it won't used by beachgoers driving at speed!
All sorts of funny looking constructions en route. My point is that it must be costing a bomb and the grant to pay for this path, I seem to remember reading was intended to also construct a new coastal path beyond the Elysseum Hotel, to eventually join up with the much longer Chlorakas to Kissonerga Coastal Path already built. Wonder if when the new bit will be built?
Maybe Dominic knows if work on that has started? This stretch is currently more inaccessible.

Dee
josef k

Post by josef k »

The old path wasn't really ok, as it had many trip hazards. The wooden shelters were colapsing as well. I walked it nearly every day and it was sad to see it go into decline. The origional build wasn't fit for purpose in my view.