You do NOT need to change a Yellow Slip for an MUKW ID card

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
JimX

You do NOT need to change a Yellow Slip for an MUKW ID card

Post by JimX »

From Nigel Howarth posted on the Eastern forum (Thanks Steve)

You may have an MEU 1, 2 or 3, which are known colloquially as "Yellow Slips". These are valid for the rest of your life and will guarantee that you retain your rights in Cyprus as defined under the Withdrawal Agreement (with the UK) and the relevant EU law.

So keep your "Yellow Slip" as it will confirm that you are a resident in Cyprus, allow you to travel through the Cypriot Airport without needing a stamp in your passport, vote in local elections, etc.

A MUKW 1, 2, 3 is the new document being issued to anyone who was resident in Cyprus before the 31st December 2020 but did not apply for and receive a Yellow Slip (MEU 1,2,3) before the end of 2020.

A MUKW 1, 2, 3 will be issued in the form of an ID card with a biometric signature containing personal data, it will be valid for 10 years, after which it can be renewed.

You do NOT need to change a Yellow Slip for an MUKW ID card.

But, if you choose you may VOLUNTARILY exchange your Yellow Slip for the new MUKW ID card for a fee of €30.00. You may wish to do this if you prefer to carry a small card rather than a folded-up copy of your Yellow Slip.

BUT at this stage the British High Commission, the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office and the Cyprus Residency Planning Group are not recommending anyone to exchange their current Yellow Slip for an MUKW, until we are sure of the NEW regulations, currently being discussed between the UK and the EU.

Thank you again Nigel.
Jim.
mark4007

Re: You do NOT need to change a Yellow Slip for an MUKW ID card

Post by mark4007 »

Agreed.. except for ..

-vote in local elections@

It is my understanding that UK citizens with yellow slips are not allowed to vote in Cypriot local elections
Princebytor

Post by Princebytor »

Talking about residency, we learnt something recently that may save somebody time and money.
We are currently applying for a cat F residency permit and thought that we had all the requisite documents including the required evidence of a clean UK criminal record. Unfortunately, although we had a DBS certificate which was solicitor certified and apostilised this is not accepted by the Cypriot authorities the only proof they will accept is an apostilised ACRO police certificate.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

This is very similar to information posted by Nigel Howarth on the Cyprus Eastern Forum 2nd March 2021.

http://www.easterncyprus.com/viewtopic.php?t=112052

I understand the topic was discussed on Rock FM radio yesterday - does anyone have feedback from this?
tonee

Post by tonee »

Hi The british commisioner stated that all MEU3 people have to change to the MEUK card by 2026,he said it,s not an EU directive but a Cypriot one.
I,ve done immigration on 3 occasions now since 2001,that immigration office is not fit for purpose,has not been altered or expanded since it was built.
He also stated that MEU3 holders only had to produce their passport.I have no problem with this,its just the bloody disorganization of it all,even now with appointments.
If the information is correct,god help us all descending on the immigration office!
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I have just had my appointment at the Immigration Dept. To get my MEU3 changed to an MUKW3, I was told to take my Passport, MEU3 and a copy of my latest Electricity bill. The latter to prove my change of address. The appointment was quite quick & painless. I had my fingerprints taken, plus a photograph.
The new document I was told is a card which is barometric, and a positive and more secure form of ID.
It is supposted to make it easier for British persons to enter all EU countries.
Dee
tonee

Post by tonee »

Hi Kili
If thats the documents you have to produce,the british commisioner needs a kick up the backside and needs to make sure his facts are correct before stating you only need to produce your passport!
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

tonee wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:57 pm Hi Kili
If thats the documents you have to produce,the british commisioner needs a kick up the backside and needs to make sure his facts are correct before stating you only need to produce your passport!
Also it is an EU Directive for all EU States to comply with, according to this official link:
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/EN/legal-cont ... ments.html

Yes, you just need Passport + copy, MEU3 + copy and €30 and the completed Application Form for each person applying.

One Application Form per person - not as it states on the form.
A close friend was turned away because he had only the one form with his and his wife's details on it - Paphos Immigration wouldn't even give him another form to complete so they could both go ahead with the procedure. They now have to make another appointment.

Good to know you need to take a recent utility bill if you have changed address since the MEU3 was issued.
daveg

Post by daveg »

Now waiting for the MUKW3 card to collect...as stated you need Passport+ copy, MEU3 + copy+ completed form....
Entirely up to individuals to apply or not BUT sooner or later it will be required.....
It's chaos now to get an appointment, dread to think what lies ahead....
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:11 pm I have just had my appointment at the Immigration Dept. To get my MEU3 changed to an MUKW3, I was told to take my Passport, MEU3 and a copy of my latest Electricity bill. The latter to prove my change of address. The appointment was quite quick & painless. I had my fingerprints taken, plus a photograph.
The new document I was told is a card which is barometric, and a positive and more secure form of ID.
It is supposted to make it easier for British persons to enter all EU countries.
Dee
I don't know how it will make it easier to enter EU countries, as only a passport will be a allowed from non EU citizens?
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

The MUKW3 is a barometric card, with everything on it. Unlike the GB passport which isn't yet barometric. The UK passport has a photo, but no fingerprints.....
I gather that other EU countries have or are getting barometric passports which by definition are more secure than passports which rely on just a photograph. So, these new MUKW cards will be useful when traveling between EU countries...
Such passports or cards will make it easier for the police or border force to easily check a persons ID, and to spot anyone traveling on a forged or stolen passport.
They cost €30.
Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:10 pm The MUKW3 is a barometric card, with everything on it. Unlike the GB passport which isn't yet barometric. The UK passport has a photo, but no fingerprints.....
I gather that other EU countries have or are getting barometric passports which by definition are more secure than passports which rely on just a photograph. So, these new MUKW cards will be useful when traveling between EU countries...
Such passports or cards will make it easier for the police or border force to easily check a persons ID, and to spot anyone traveling on a forged or stolen passport.
They cost €30.
Dee
The problem for us expats is, only citizens of EU country's can travel between EU countries using ID cards, non EU citizens will still have to travel on passports.
mark4007

Post by mark4007 »

galexinda wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:49 pm
tonee wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:57 pm Hi Kili
Also it is an EU Directive for all EU States to comply with, according to this official link:
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/EN/legal-cont ... ments.html

Yes, you just need Passport + copy, MEU3 + copy and €30 and the completed Application Form for each person applying.

One Application Form per person - not as it states on the form.
A close friend was turned away because he had only the one form with his and his wife's details on it - Paphos Immigration wouldn't even give him another form to complete so they could both go ahead with the procedure. They now have to make another appointment.

Good to know you need to take a recent utility bill if you have changed address since the MEU3 was issued.

This EU directive applies to EU citizens... so not relevant to UK cirizens (or other 3rd country cizens) resident in Cyprus (or other EU states )
mark4007

Post by mark4007 »

WHL wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:49 pm
Kili01 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:11 pm I have just had my appointment at the Immigration Dept. To get my MEU3 changed to an MUKW3, I was told to take my Passport, MEU3 and a copy of my latest Electricity bill. The latter to prove my change of address. The appointment was quite quick & painless. I had my fingerprints taken, plus a photograph.
Dee
I don't know how it will make it easier to enter EU countries, as only a passport will be a allowed from non EU citizens?
i agree.. i cant see what relevance this new document will have to entry all EU countries.. For example entry to schengen countries UK citizens will still have to go through the ETIAS whenever that system comes into force. The MUKW3 has no obvious relevance to ETIAS.

BTW.. the introduction of the ETIAS has now been pushed baxk (again) to sometime in 2024..

see https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/e ... s-to-2024/
Polly

Post by Polly »

Do you have to complete this form if you have an meu3? And take 5 years of residency documents again?
Mighty Sprite

Post by Mighty Sprite »

According to the Cyprus Residency Planning Group website the new card (barometric is measuring atmospheric pressure!) will enable holders to not have to go through ETIAS
mark4007

Post by mark4007 »

Mighty Sprite wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:08 am According to the Cyprus Residency Planning Group website the new card (barometric is measuring atmospheric pressure!) will enable holders to not have to go through ETIAS
That’s interesting and it refers to the UK government website

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-c ... nformation

Not sure as to the basis for the statements in either website..

Even if the reason you want to get the new plastic card (have a visit to the immigration office, paying Euro 30 now and then presumably paying another fee when it expires) is for its supposedly ETIAS benefit, then I’d suggest there’s no need to rush to get it before the date of the introduction date of ETIAS stops being pushed back.

Of course by that time, Cyprus may be part of Schengen, or ones residence status may have changed and you will have a different level of residence or perhaps one might have a full Cypriot passport. All of which will require a visit to the immigration office in any event..
Sheer Khan

Post by Sheer Khan »

What a mess, one post says the High Commision says you don’t need to change another post says the High Commision says you do, yet another post from a person who has completed the appointment makes no mention of the application form and yet another says you have to complete the application form.
staffie

Post by staffie »

sheer khan, totally agree with you, one says this the other says that, like the ad, confused. Com.
whenever other half an one's self need to sort things we always find best to find out yourself, saves problems.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Sheer Khan,
I forgot to mention you need to complete the Application form which is submitted with your other documents! Basically, for exchanging your MEU3 for a new MUKW3, its much easier than when I applied for my MEU3 a few years ago. The main advantage to applying sooner than the deadline which is in 2026 on the Govt website it said that British Cyprus residents will need the new card preferably before this.
It's an individual decision whether and when to apply, but remembering the lengthy debate that ensued before Brexit over the MEU 3, no doubt many of the same people will be debating this change ad nauseum!
Dee