A third of Cypriots were traffic violators in 2022, fines reaching 300 thousand

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
memory man

A third of Cypriots were traffic violators in 2022, fines reaching 300 thousand

Post by memory man »

Cyprus is once again on the wrong side of road responsibility, as traffic offenders reached unprecedented numbers this year, with police handing out more than 300 thousand fines, 162 thousand from patrols and 144 thousand recorded by recently installed cameras.

Compared to 2021, more than one in three Cypriots on average received a fine for traffic violations or were caught by cameras.

Police spokesperson Christos Andreou told Philenews that driving under the influence of alcohol checks doubled in 2022 with 47,628 resulting in more than 4 thousand being charged, in comparison with 25 thousand checks in 2021 and just over 2 thousand drivers fined.

818 drivers were found positive in narco tests, compared to 650 last year.

Speeding remained an issue, though less violations were recorded in 2022, most possibly as drivers became more aware of traffic cameras.

70,353 fines were handed out for speeding, (100 thousand in 2021) with 6,863 for seat belts and 1,122 motorcyclists charged for not wearing their helmets.

Persistent mobile phone users in cars (failing to follow simple bluetooth or earphone technology) approached seven thousand, a similar number to last year.

Setting the tone for 2023, 145 drivers in Pafos were fined for various traffic violations in less than three days, over the Christmas holidays.

https://in-cyprus.philenews.com/news/lo ... -thousand/
WHL

Re: A third of Cypriots were traffic violators in 2022, fines reaching 300 thousand

Post by WHL »

I had three fines this year, two for speeding, and one for parking on the opposing side of the road in a parking bay , that was 100e plus 2 points.,
So in a way im helping the economy :D
Big Al

Re: A third of Cypriots were traffic violators in 2022, fines reaching 300 thousand

Post by Big Al »

I didn’t realise that the parking bay one was an offence, I do that as well, thanks for posting that info
Al
WHL

Post by WHL »

Big Al wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:21 pm I didn’t realise that the parking bay one was an offence, I do that as well, thanks for posting that info
Al
I parked in a parking bay with a meter, put money in the meter, but I never knew that parking in the opposite direction to traffic was an offence, came back to the car and it had a ticket on it for 100e, it was issued by the police, i went straight to the police station, where they confirmed it, the cherry on the cake was 2 points added to my licence.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

That parking the wrong way thing has been mentioned here before. That's how I know about it.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, I've heard about this too. But it doesn't seem to be necessarily enforced here where I sometimes park in Paphos. Cars there can be seen to be parked according to which direction they were traveling in.... Can'r really see that it matters, as long as through traffic flow isn't affected...

Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:31 pm Yes, I've heard about this too. But it doesn't seem to be necessarily enforced here where I sometimes park in Paphos. Cars there can be seen to be parked according to which direction they were traveling in.... Can'r really see that it matters, as long as through traffic flow isn't affected...

Dee
I was the one who first posted it, thinking about it, it is dangerous because you have to cross the oncoming traffic to get into your lane, as far as i know it is also against the law to park on the opposite side in the UK after nightfall.