Paphos harbour carfree waterside promenade

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Paphos harbour carfree waterside promenade

Post by cyprusmax47 »

I just wonder how the public will respond to the new carfree waterside promenade at Paphos harbour. I remember very well, even 45 years or so back, when half Paphos used to drive down to the harbour at weekends and evenings, to meet other people there. They called it in Greek:" pame mia volta" (lets go for a ride) and they enjoyed it a lot, driving round and round, stopping at places and had a good time.

As Cypriots don't like to walk a distance to go shopping etc it will be hard for many of them to agree to the changes. Specially the business owners on that promenade will be worried, but time will show....

Here a impression from this late afternoon in front of Elean Opticians - deserted :!:

Max
Big Al

Re: Paphos harbour carfree waterside promenade

Post by Big Al »

I really think its a good move, will really encourage it to be more popular and hopefully not just for the tourists, from the safety aspect as well, we have seen dreadful attacks with cars & vans on tourists/pedestrians in the likes of Barcelona & Germany.
ast

Post by ast »

My own preference is that I preferred it how it was with a single lane one way traffic flow, I don't think it was dangerous.

Previously some years ago when it was two way and only a narrow pavement it was then but the changes made a few years back improved it. 8-)
I started off with nothing and have most of it left !
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I quite liked the single lane. The whole "Cypriots don't like to walk" shtick doesn't wash with me though. They will soon get used to it. They got used to having to stop at red traffic lights a few years back, and that was a much bigger quantum leap! They have to do plenty of walking when they visit the Mall, but they manage to cope with that.

As to why the harbour was empty, the weather was poor.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

"They got used to stopping at red traffic lights" Unfortunately, although people may know this in theory, there is a lot of red light traffic light jumping in Paphos. For eg ToTK road, major traffic lights on Polis Rd.... will only be cured when the new traffic cams are installed in Paphos area.
I also liked the single lane, one way traffic promenade by the harbour. Car speeds were lower.
With 2 way traffic, it seems more dangerous now and harder for pedestrians to cross safely.

Dee
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I'm a bit confused, have they completely closed the promenade to traffic or as written in Dee's post made it 2 way traffic?
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

If they have completely pedestrionised it, how do the delivery vans get to the business's
All things are possible
memory man

Post by memory man »

Through the car park at rear.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Jim B wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:46 pm I'm a bit confused, have they completely closed the promenade to traffic or as written in Dee's post made it 2 way traffic?
Closed. I have no idea what Dee is going on about.
J B

Post by J B »

It seems most bizarre to me - if they want to pedestrianise it, just keep the gate shut - simples.

I'm sure they'll change their mind in a while, then what?
J B
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Ny first post meant 2 way from the new roundabout (near the Leptos office) up to entrances to the car park. Then beyond that closed as ever to the harbour and its cafes and other shops….

Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

J B wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:55 pm It seems most bizarre to me - if they want to pedestrianise it, just keep the gate shut - simples.

Well that's what they have done. They are now removing the bollards which were placed to stop people parking wherever they wanted to.

There will be a film along later showing it, you lucky lucky people.
ast

Post by ast »

Now that it is pedestrian only along with stretch perhaps the bar and café owners will see this as a license to stretch there tables and chairs further out towards the sea.???. 8-)
I started off with nothing and have most of it left !
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

ast wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:32 am Now that it is pedestrian only along with stretch perhaps the bar and café owners will see this as a license to stretch there tables and chairs further out towards the sea.???. 8-)
I don't think HE would like that..... :lol: :lol: by the way it is today lunchtime...

Max
J B

Post by J B »

Dominic wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:48 am
J B wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:55 pm It seems most bizarre to me - if they want to pedestrianise it, just keep the gate shut - simples.

Well that's what they have done. They are now removing the bollards which were placed to stop people parking wherever they wanted to.
I fully understand that, just don't see the point of removing them - does it make it more pedestrianised? :?
J B
tina

Post by tina »

Pedestrians only is not a bad thing really, no more fumes while eating and having a drink.
Many a time sat having a drink and seen same car come pass at least 10 times
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

Remember the waiter at Ma Bianca telling us that one car goes past around 30 times each weekend night. The present set up with cars was dangerous for families with young children as the road was not visible but just part of the paved promenade. Will be much safer.
dodo

Post by dodo »

Very good idea 👍

Every sat & sun afternoon Cypriots drive down to the harbour & drive around in circles for hours with their music blasting out plus car fumes and yes experienced this 1st hand when met family at a restaurant there.
Mayor introduced barriers around bar st and harbour area and quiet funny watching them drive around trying to work it out then witnessed a car drive through a barrier near friends bar oblivious to the fact of any barrier 😳🤣
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

So, I wonder how the owners/ crews of the fishing boats are managing now, with the road and pathway near the Castle being dug up .... or have they given up and moved their boats elsewhere?