Tourist association: 'short-term rental properties must be properly regulated'

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Tourist association: 'short-term rental properties must be properly regulated'

Post by Paphos Life »

The Association of Cyprus Tourist Enterprises (Stek) on Thursday issued a warning against the dangers posed by short-term rentals, saying that the rapid expansion of such practices in Cyprus needs to be dealt with through a number of practical solutions. "In view of the intensifying pressures to regulate the trend...

Read the article and chat about it below...
Princebytor

Re: Tourist association: 'short-term rental properties must be properly regulated'

Post by Princebytor »

Believe it when I see it........................We were one of the 15,000 daft enough to get registered last year
WHL

Re: Tourist association: 'short-term rental properties must be properly regulated'

Post by WHL »

Why daft? I thought you couldn't rent on B&B and other sites without being registered, not to mention if you are not legal, how do you insure a property for rental use , what happens if there is a fire while you are renting out and life's are lost, how do you explain that when your standing in a court of law?
Princebytor

Post by Princebytor »

We already had all the required insurance, safety equipment , declare the tax etc, so we were already doing it properly. To get registered you have to fill in a form , provide some documents(including providing the original building permit - not easy) and pay a few hundred euros.
As part of the legislation you need to quote the registration number on any website you use to promote the rental of the property. However until they enforce it, all the 'illegally' rented out villas (quite a few on our development) can carry on with impunity.
Princebytor

Post by Princebytor »

Not si easy when you are in the uK
Princebytor

Post by Princebytor »

Life Is Good wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:52 am
Princebytor wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:44 am Not si easy when you are in the uK
I was under the impression that as a third country national not resident in Cyprus its illegal to do short term let’s?
Either way regardless of location it’s the owner’s responsibility to ensure that they comply with the regulations.
I would guess most of the villas let here are by non Cypriot residency holders, only need to be registered for tax per the form we completed
Princebytor

Post by Princebytor »

Life Is Good wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:06 am
Princebytor wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:57 am
Life Is Good wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:52 am

I was under the impression that as a third country national not resident in Cyprus its illegal to do short term let’s?
Either way regardless of location it’s the owner’s responsibility to ensure that they comply with the regulations.
I would guess most of the villas let here are by non Cypriot residency holders, only need to be registered for tax per the form we completed
Not according to these property guides

https://www.propertyguides.com/cyprus/n ... ty-cyprus/

https://www.justlanded.com/english/Cypr ... ty/Letting
All I can say is that we completed a form issued by the ministry of tourism and received the appropriate certificate. At no point were we asked to provide a MEU1/MUKW1 number. I can't see how the villas being rented out as holiday lets can have their owners living here more than 6 mths of the year (on the basis that they can't be in the UK for more than 6 mths as MEU1/MUKW1 holders), so it is a fair assumption that most of the villas being rented are by UK resident owners.
Princebytor

Post by Princebytor »

Princebytor wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:20 am
Life Is Good wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:06 am
Princebytor wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:57 am

Not according to these property guides

https://www.propertyguides.com/cyprus/n ... ty-cyprus/

https://www.justlanded.com/english/Cypr ... ty/Letting
All I can say is that we completed a form issued by the ministry of tourism and received the appropriate certificate. At no point were we asked to provide a MEU1/MUKW1 number. I can't see how the villas being rented out as holiday lets can have their owners living here more than 6 mths of the year (on the basis that they can't be in the UK for more than 6 mths as MEU1/MUKW1 holders), so it is a fair assumption that most of the villas being rented are by UK resident owners.
PS As it turns out we are applying for Cat F residency status anyway.................but that's whole different story !!!
Princebytor

Post by Princebytor »

Life Is Good wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:31 am
Princebytor wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:22 am
Princebytor wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:20 am

PS As it turns out we are applying for Cat F residency status anyway.................but that's whole different story !!!
Good Luck I hope all goes smoothly, lots will be going through residency applications in the coming years as existing MEU’s cease to be valid.
Cheers, already be given an early flavour of it, i.e. even need to get our DBS certificate apostillised in the uK ???
wantoosoon

Post by wantoosoon »

The association further stated that in certain areas or even cities where permanent residents find it difficult to find houses or apartments for long-term rental, the government should consider banning short-term rental properties outright.
That's everywhere in the RoC now.
J B

Post by J B »

Princebytor wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:55 am Believe it when I see it........................We were one of the 15,000 daft enough to get registered last year
Same here!

Paid our €200 (?) last spring before the deadline ... only to see the deadline extended again! Ho Hum

We also do holiday lets in Barmouth on the Welsh Coast where we are subject to no 'regulation' whatsoever.
There's a new word been added to the Welsh language dictionary recently "wealthysecondhomeowner" meaning a pariah of society! :lol:
J B
Princebytor

Post by Princebytor »

J B wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:44 pm
Princebytor wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:55 am Believe it when I see it........................We were one of the 15,000 daft enough to get registered last year
Same here!

Paid our €200 (?) last spring before the deadline ... only to see the deadline extended again! Ho Hum

We also do holiday lets in Barmouth on the Welsh Coast where we are subject to no 'regulation' whatsoever.
There's a new word been added to the Welsh language dictionary recently "wealthysecondhomeowner" meaning a pariah of society! :lol:
Tbf the temperature as regards holiday lets in Cyprus is being raised by the Hotel Association who see them as unfair competition. We spend circa 10,000 euros a year in property related costs, plus at least 5000/6000 in personal expense when we are over here. Our renters must be spending a few bob when they are here. So all in all there is a fair amount of money going into the local economy, so it seems somewhat short sighted for the authorities to start getting precious about it. Just like your situ in Wales, they need to be careful what they wish for !!!
Princebytor

Post by Princebytor »

Life Is Good wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:37 pm

Tbf the temperature as regards holiday lets in Cyprus is being raised by the Hotel Association who see them as unfair competition. We spend circa 10,000 euros a year in property related costs, plus at least 5000/6000 in personal expense when we are over here. Our renters must be spending a few bob when they are here. So all in all there is a fair amount of money going into the local economy, so it seems somewhat short sighted for the authorities to start getting precious about it. Just like your situ in Wales, they need to be careful what they wish for !!!
[/quote]

Part of the problem is that for every one that does it correctly there are 10/20/100 others that do it under the radar and declare nothing. They don’t register for tax, they don’t pay GESY contributions etc etc.

One thing is for sure, Cyprus needs income and they are learning very quickly ways to cut out the black money, it my take a while but loopholes are being closed all the time.
[/quote]
Don't have a problem with the rules, fully agree with them, it is the fact they don't enforce them that makes me mad. In a way it makes those who do follow them look stupid.