Smart App or SMS Payment Required At 8 Parking Locations From Monday

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Smart App or SMS Payment Required At 8 Parking Locations From Monday

Post by Paphos Life »

This morning the Municipality of Paphos announced that from next Monday, November 7th 2022, payment for parking in 8 areas must be made using the Smart Parking app or by SMS.

Read the article and chat about it below...
MacManiac

Re: Smart App or SMS Payment Required At 8 Parking Locations From Monday

Post by MacManiac »

Well I followed the link, read the article twice and I’m none the wiser. We park next to the District Court and pay the man €2 for the privilege. Quo Vadis?
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

In other words they are removing the coin operated ticket machines in those 8 car parks around Paphos.

Really like the App, I know it only small change but I like having it pay only what I use when just popping somewhere for a short while and paying a few cents and not faffing about making sure I have got coins with me before I go out.

Ian
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I think the idea of a 25 euro pass for over 65's is a good one
Trev..
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

I will continue to use FREE parking. I know enough locations that suite us when we visit Paphos.
All things are possible
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

trevnhil wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:03 pm I think the idea of a 25 euro pass for over 65's is a good one
Trev,how does an old sod like me get this 25 euro pass??
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

At the end of the article it says.. "People aged 65 and over are allowed to issue a bulletin to avoid social exclusion - € 25 for all zones. This card is purchased at the Public Service Center (KED) located in the parking area of the "Stelios Kyriakidis" Stadium (tel. 26940940)."
I assumed the 'Bulletin' was a reference to a pass of some sort.... allowing for the translation
Trev..
Ams

Post by Ams »

PolemIan wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:27 am In other words they are removing the coin operated ticket machines in those 8 car parks around Paphos.

Really like the App, I know it only small change but I like having it pay only what I use when just popping somewhere for a short while and paying a few cents and not faffing about making sure I have got coins with me before I go out.

Ian
I agree, using the app works out much cheaper (for short stays at least), eg 35c instead of a €1 coin.

And for those who don't like use mobile data, you only turn it on when you arrive and again at the end when you leave.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

But it would seem that you have to have some payment system set up on your phone..
Trev..
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

trevnhil wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:57 pm But it would seem that you have to have some payment system set up on your phone..
Just wondering what happens if someone selects a parking spot on the App and at the same time someone is at the location using the SMS system for the same parking spot.

Link to a very detailed article about Smart Parking terms of use - I shall just avoid those areas as I use a PAYG system on my mobile phone and only have enough credit to keep the number valid.

https://pafos.org.cy/smartparkingtermsofuse/
josef k

Post by josef k »

You select your parking spot by parking in it. Then you pay, much as you do now.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Actually that's not true. You pay for the EXACT time you are there. My wife uses it and we have seen various payments taken, from as little as 50 cents to a whopping €1.04
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Incidentally, anybody moaning about the cost of parking here should try using a car park in the UK. Some of them will make your eyes water.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

josef k wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:49 pm You select your parking spot by parking in it. Then you pay, much as you do now.

Thanks - have also found this article that has much more information - but it appears you still have to be quick if using the App as available places might have already been taken!

'Through the Pafos Smart Parking mobile app, which allows the user to see the total number of parking spots available in real-time, users can get directions to available spots and make payments in a number of convenient ways.

These include via SMS, with an agreement made with Cyta, Epic and Primetel, whereby a message sent to 9191 will enable the cost to be tagged onto customers’ mobile phone bills at a €1 charge, and the possibility to purchase a monthly permit. Payment will still be accepted at existing coin machines for a transitional period'.
https://cyprus-mail.com/2022/07/01/paph ... rking-app/
lefkes

Post by lefkes »

trevnhil wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:03 pm I think the idea of a 25 euro pass for over 65's is a good one
I think this is also a good idea ,but would need to know if the 25 euro pass is for 1 month or for the whole year as we only pop into town or the seafront on odd occasions .
lefkes.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Ah, I assumed that the 25 euro pass for OAP's was for a year. But I see now that it is for a month...
There will obviously be questions that need answering.
One from me is how do you know that you are entering into a zone where you must pay via being on the internet ??
Trev..
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

From what I've read it appears this pass is €25 per month. Not worth it for me, as I seldom use these car parks which it seems are part of the scheme.
If there are still coin machines available, I will use those.

Really as someone said parking is still incredibly cheap in Paphos when compared to the high costs for this facility at my local town in the UK.
Dee
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Dominic wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:13 pm Incidentally, anybody moaning about the cost of parking here should try using a car park in the UK. Some of them will make your eyes water.
Our local council issued a residents pass a number of years ago, at a cost of £20 and linked to the car registration as well as the residential address.
A pass was a "lifetime" pass and available to use for as long as you kept the same vehicle and lived at the same address.
It was available to use at approx 7 designated public car parks in about 4 of the local towns.
It allowed up to 3 hours parking using a cardboard clock on the permit which you set yourself when you arrived and displayed it clearly visible (and the right way up, otherwise you got fined) then removed it when you left.

Two years ago, they changed the system.
Now, the permit costs £30, allows up to 2 hours parking - and is valid only for 2 years!
So, it has to be renewed each time.

My parents purchased their vehicle in 2010 (first registered in 2006) and used just one car park each time, twice weekly up until 2013. The vehicle is still in the household today.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

PhotoLady wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:38 pm
Dominic wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:13 pm Incidentally, anybody moaning about the cost of parking here should try using a car park in the UK. Some of them will make your eyes water.
Our local council issued a residents pass a number of years ago, at a cost of £20 and linked to the car registration as well as the residential address.
A pass was a "lifetime" pass and available to use for as long as you kept the same vehicle and lived at the same address.
It was available to use at approx 7 designated public car parks in about 4 of the local towns.
It allowed up to 3 hours parking using a cardboard clock on the permit which you set yourself when you arrived and displayed it clearly visible (and the right way up, otherwise you got fined) then removed it when you left.

Two years ago, they changed the system.
Now, the permit costs £30, allows up to 2 hours parking - and is valid only for 2 years!
So, it has to be renewed each time.

My parents purchased their vehicle in 2010 (first registered in 2006) and used just one car park each time, twice weekly up until 2013. The vehicle is still in the household today.
I'm not talking about residents parking, but the cost you pay when you go down to the shops.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Dominic wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:13 pm I'm not talking about residents parking, but the cost you pay when you go down to the shops.
Neither am I.

We don't have residents parking in our village.

The permit is for car parks in shopping areas.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"