Cyprus Driving

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Cyprus Driving

Post by Dominic »

In Cyprus, the best way to drive is to never assume that everybody else knows what they are doing. Expect the worst and you can easily avoid it.

Please subscribe to our Shorts channel to receive updates and to help make the channel grow!

For our main channel see here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/PaphosLife

#shorts #cyprus_shorts #paphos #paphos_driving #driving_in_cyprus
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Cyprus Driving

Post by Dominic »

Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

Honestly, I can say that driving in Cyprus for several years made me a much better driver. I had done Advanced driving with the Police in the UK before going to live in Paphos but, I don't think I was completely and utterly prepared for the COMPLETELY unexpected!!! 😀

Never mind any of the above. Both Him Indoors and myself are far more aware and empathetic of drivers trying to exit side streets here, having lived there. The Cypriots taught us the very best of manners whilst simply just trying to get out of a side street.

Some things work BOTH ways. :-)

Maggie B
WHL

Post by WHL »

I drive the same way, whether its over here the UK , Europe, USA,
that is I assume, every other driver is an idiot, always allowing space with the car in front, and always expect the unexpected happening.
WHL

Post by WHL »

mouse wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:40 am Well some years ago i had a hard and bitter experience , i was hit by an oncoming car on my side of the road , they admitted fault , but my old car which would have cost about cy£900 to replace i was offered cy£ 200 , after much arguement the insurance company they insisted on sticking to their book of fairytails ( second hand price guide) the owner refused to talk to me . I took the cy£200 and refused to ha nd over the wreck to the insurance company. I did not have any money to replace the car ! A hard lesson learnt leaving a bitter taste! So ever since i have driven very defensively , people can crash and drive like looneys, i dont care , so long as they dont damage my car . So out of bad comes good .
We should always remember the amount we insure our car for is not the actual amount we will get in the event of a write off, this is the same the world over, my wife's polo is insured for ten grand, I would be lucky to get half of that if it is written off.
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

After driving nearly 30 years in Cyprus, nothing surprises me anymore. Always expect the unexpected.
Louise :)
Aargent

Post by Aargent »

When Stan the Man, a welsh Folk Singer, was here he wrote and sang a song re 'Driving in Cyprus.. I can't find an origional but someone ha recruited Steve McQueen to drive. The song is original Stan

http://palscyprus.com/stan-the-man-driving-in-cyprus/
Alastair

Nil illigitimi carborundum
memory man

Post by memory man »

Cyprus Highway Code:-

Cyprus Highway Code

1. Driving is on the left with overtaking on the right. Despite this rule, drivers in Cyprus will often 'undertake' you on the left. This is fairly common as many Cypriots do not use the left hand lane as the regular lane and the right hand lane for overtaking only. If the vehicle in front of you is only just exceeding the speed limit you are entitled to undertake them or overtake them, even on a blind bend. Do not be concerned about traffic coming towards you; it is their responsibility to take evasive action.
2. Traffic emerging from side roads have full right of way over those on the main highway.
3. Likewise, traffic coming in the opposite direction and turning right in front of you has total priority.
4. If you are waiting to pull out of a turning, do not move until you can pull out right in front of someone (try to ensure that the road behind them is empty) ideally causing them to slam on their brakes. Other drivers are usually delighted at an unexpected opportunity to test their reaction times.
5. Unexpectedly and without warning, stopping in the middle of any road to have a chat with another driver coming in the opposite direction is completely normal so don’t be alarmed. You will find that sounding your horn, flashing your lights or shouting will have minimal effect on the time you are delayed.
6. Always cut corners. You’ll be amazed at how much fuel this saves over a year.
7. At junctions, “Stop” does not actually mean “Stop” – it’s just that “Give Way if you really, really have to” would not fit on the sign.
8. Traffic Lights are only advisory. A “Red Traffic Light” does not mean “Stop” - You should continually edge forward ready to roar away the moment the lights change. That half second you save may be invaluable when you are older.
9. Please be aware that the intermittent flashing light found on each corner of your vehicle is strictly for ornamental purposes only. On no account should they be used to try and indicate direction of travel or before performing a manoeuvre as this will only confuse other road users. Predicting what the driver in front is going to do is a pleasant pastime for other drivers.
10. Parking in town and city centres is not always easy but fortunately there are some “Free Parking Areas” – these are easily identified by the black and white “zebra” style markings with zigzag lines either side. Should these spaces be full (they usually are) then you must not park on the double yellow lines. Instead park on the pavement alongside. Do not worry about the pedestrians as they will have ample room to go around your car and into the road. If you do use a carpark, please ensure that you take up more than 1 space and feel free to use the space reserved for disabled drivers.

Special Note:- Please be aware that some wheelchair disabled people think that where the kerbs have been lowered, it is for their benefit. This of course is not true and they are lowered to allow easy access to park your car on the pavement
11. Currently, apart from a couple of ‘fast food’ outlets, there are no drive-thru shops in Cyprus. This means that you must walk (an ancient form of transport) from your car to whichever shop you want to go into. To save wear and tear on the legs ensure you abandon your vehicle as close to the door as possible.
12. If you are a moped driver you must protect your feet by wearing the correct protective flip flops. You must also ensure you cover your hair with lots of Extra Strong Gel. This will give your head great protection and alleviate the need to wear one of those nasty, unattractive “helmet” type hats. Unfortunately there is a side effect in that it assists in swift decapitation BUT on the plus side, it saves having to waste time and expense taking you to hospital after a crash.
13. Also a moped driver should remove any type of “silencer” from his bike. It is important that no one should be denied hearing the tuneful melody emitted by a souped up 50cc “Ducati 911”
14. If drinking and driving it is essential you don’t forget your car and you must be VERY careful not to spill your drink.
15. Using a mobile phone whilst driving is not only acceptable it’s obligatory, especially for text messages. If you are female between 16 and 40 it’s compulsory. You MUST be on your mobile within 50 metres of your starting position or within 2 minutes of entering the car.

16. It is not required to secure children in the rear of a vehicle; in fact it is encouraged to get them to use the rear seat as a substitute ‘bouncy castle’ to keep them entertained and not distracting you whilst you are on the phone.
17. At night, HIGH beams and additional fog lights MUST be used at all times especially when travelling in well-lit areas.
18. If you are not a Cypriot, expect to be stopped by the police for no reason. You could be asked if you have been drinking….this is classed as a Breathalyzer test since actually doing the test would mean the policeman having to do some actual work. There is no requirement to stop if a police car or motorcycle comes up behind you with blue flashing lights. This is actually illegal. They are actually breaking their own rules. They only do it because they haven’t bothered to read the regulations.
19. If you have an accident, call the police or your insurance company since if the other driver is Cypriot, they will be calling all available friends and family members so that they may "help" by milling around waving their arms and shouting.
20. The motorway hard shoulder is not to be used for broken down vehicles, but must only be used as a third lane when the traffic is especially heavy. If you have broken down and are using the hard shoulder, get as far away from your car as possible and pray.

The only exception to the above “rules” should, obviously, be taxi drivers. For as we all know they can do exactly as they like!
WHL

Post by WHL »

At the end of the day there are good and bad drivers in every country on the planet, recently I was driving in Rome and Naples, you think Cypriot driving is bad, try driving in Italy, where everyone thinks they are driving in a Grand Prix.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

The song was first sung here some years ago, but it loses nothing of its impact when I heard it again just now! It is so descriptive of some local driving practices. Driving standards here don't seem to have changed that much. A cars indicators are probably among the least used part of a car, by many drivers! Cars seem bigger now and some are much faster . I think that tourists who are considering car rental should be required to listen to the words..

The written text came out soon after, most friends just started laughing when they first saw it..To see some of these driving tactics mentioned in the text, try a trip towards Coral Bay on ToTK Rd, at about 5.30pm. You can be amazed by how many of the driver behaviours you might well likely see..
Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Driving is a lot better than it was a decade ago. The first time we visited stopping at traffic lights was strictly optional. It was anarchy.

To be honest, I loved it, but I appreciate I may be in a minority. :)
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

WHL wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:57 am
We should always remember the amount we insure our car for is not the actual amount we will get in the event of a write off, this is the same the world over, my wife's polo is insured for ten grand, I would be lucky to get half of that if it is written off.
Yes, we insure our vehicle for the current market value rather than the price we originally paid for it and this is reflected by an adjustment in the annual insurance premium we pay.

However, it is always nice when we are approached by someone who is willing to pay more than we paid over 8 years ago but it has proved to be economical and sound, so not planning to part with it!
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

There are just much more cars (specially big ones) on the road, due to the fact that a lot of people have much more money available for a car as the import duty is much lower as it was 30 years ago. My BMW, bought in 1987 was double the price as in Germany then. Many Cypriots sold their land to foreigners and become rich. 35 years ago there were pick-ups the majority on the road mostly falling half apart and the MOT was very "generous" if you knew somebody. So with mostly newer cars on the roads I believe the safety improved, but if locals drive better than in the past I have my doubts, however it is not as bad as in Italy where I lived from 2003-2008...

Max
WHL

Post by WHL »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:39 am There are just much more cars (specially big ones) on the road, due to the fact that a lot of people have much more money available for a car as the import duty is much lower as it was 30 years ago. My BMW, bought in 1987 was double the price as in Germany then. Many Cypriots sold their land to foreigners and become rich. 35 years ago there were pick-ups the majority on the road mostly falling half apart and the MOT was very "generous" if you knew somebody. So with mostly newer cars on the roads I believe the safety improved, but if locals drive better than in the past I have my doubts, however it is not as bad as in Italy where I lived from 2003-2008...

Max
Max there was no mot 35 years ago. . the mot is a more recent introduction to cyprus.
josef k

Post by josef k »

I enjoy driving in Cyprus, much more than driving in the UK. I think people have the view that the Cypriots should drive like the British. However, the fact is they drive like Cypriots drive. It's very easy to criticise them in the "certain knowledge" that the British way is always the best way, in everything.
So how are you meant to drive in Cyprus? Well, in accordance with the Cyprus Highway Code of course. No doubt you all have a copy and have read it.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The main difference to me about driving in Cyprus compared to the UK is the sheer volume of traffic.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Dominic wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:28 pm The main difference to me about driving in Cyprus compared to the UK is the sheer volume of traffic.
Agree, plus weather conditions, we are spoilt over here, usually sunny days , you need to get your thinking head on while driving on motorways in heavy rain etc back in the UK, also you always need one eye on your speed with cameras every few yards
wantoosoon

Post by wantoosoon »

josef k wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:38 pm I enjoy driving in Cyprus, much more than driving in the UK. I think people have the view that the Cypriots should drive like the British. However, the fact is they drive like Cypriots drive. It's very easy to criticise them in the "certain knowledge" that the British way is always the best way, in everything.
So how are you meant to drive in Cyprus? Well, in accordance with the Cyprus Highway Code of course. No doubt you all have a copy and have read it.
The traffic-related death rate in Cyprus is about twice that of the UK. You may enjoy driving here more (and I think I do too), but driving standards are certainly higher in the UK.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, I agree with you, wantoosoon. Having recently driven in the UK for 9 weeks, I agree that the traffic and the number of cars can be much heavier in UK. But, I actually found driving in towns there was easier, why? Because the vast majority of drivers are following the highway code! People use their indicators when changing direction for example. People stop at red lights, why, because there are cameras perhaps, so the habit of drivers to stop becomes automatic, I guess. Also in the main people park their cars sensibly, instead of abandoning them..
Before people tell me to go back to the UK, I think its reasonable to say that roads are safer when drivers obey the common rules.
Much as I love Cyprus, I hope that the usual suspects on here, will accept that other peoples views on what amounts to road safety issues are equally valid!
Dee
emgee

Post by emgee »

L is G

What evidence do you have that it is British people "staggering back to cars after drinking all afternoon"? Did you actually SEE them drinking or is this a prejudiced opinion?

Alan