Getting Home, after a Breakdown or Accident.

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
trevnhil

Getting Home, after a Breakdown or Accident.

Post by trevnhil »

This morning I renewed our Car insurance for another 12 months. I was given all the usual paperwork and the number to call if I have a breakdown, or an accident.
However I posed a question... "What Happens to the driver and passengers if the car is recovered to a garage after a breakdown?"

I was informed that it is up to the car occupants to sort out transport to get themselves home, as the breakdown company no longer do this !!!

So the question is what have other people done in this situation? Do you make sure that you have the number for a taxi firm entered into your phone. ??

I am interested to know what others have done in this situation
Trev..
WHL

Re: Getting Home, after a Breakdown or Accident.

Post by WHL »

trevnhil wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:23 pm This morning I renewed our Car insurance for another 12 months. I was given all the usual paperwork and the number to call if I have a breakdown, or an accident.
However I posed a question... "What Happens to the driver and passengers if the car is recovered to a garage after a breakdown?"

I was informed that it is up to the car occupants to sort out transport to get themselves home, as the breakdown company no longer do this !!!

So the question is what have other people done in this situation? Do you make sure that you have the number for a taxi firm entered into your phone. ??

I am interested to know what others have done in this situation
Tev I broke down years ago at night time, even back then the pick up driver, wouldn't put me and my wife in his cab, luckerly a friend came to our rescue, a taxi no. Is a must.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

In the past we've always had a lift with the breakdown guy. One time we were actually in the broken down car that was in the back of their truck. That was an interesting ride!

To be honest, I thought they only stopped this because of COVID.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Yes, the reason given was Covid. But now just about all the restrictions about Covid have been lifted.
Certainly, if you get a Taxi to take you home there are no restrictions that I know of..
Depending on where you break down it could be a very expensive journey to get home :-(
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I guess it would count as Public Transport, possibly?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

The only thing I can think of is they are not insured, what happens if there's four of you and he only has room/ seatbelts for two extra passangers?
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I have now programmed a taxi number into my phone. It could be expensive though if you are (as we were last week) up in the Troodos mountains .. Or on one of our many medical trips to Nicosia
Trev..
wilky

Post by wilky »

What happens on the motorway surely cannot leave you there.
WHL

Post by WHL »

wilky wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:21 am What happens on the motorway surely cannot leave you there.
We broke down on the motorway, halfway between Larnaca and Limassol, this was years ago, and he told us he could not take us, even After I offered him a good sum in cash, he still wouldnt. He did stay with us until my friend came to pick us up.