Phone and Internet Connection

Everything to do with I.T, T.V, and telephony.
AndrewA

Phone and Internet Connection

Post by AndrewA »

As a relative newcomer I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for which of the three phone / internet providers to choose.I am mainly looking for a reliable connection.
holitec

Re: Phone and Internet Connection

Post by holitec »

almost all the providers use the cyta backbone, unless you can get cablenet. Cyta has the edge though probably a bit more expensive.

for UKTV you have loads of options as well, but the best use the MAG series of boxes (IMHO), I use uktv.media

Digby
Big Al

Post by Big Al »

One thing is for certain,
Don't go wireless internet
Go wired !
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Some people have no choice, and our wireless internet works for us.

Trev..
Trev..
Polemi Dave

Post by Polemi Dave »

Big Al wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 11:02 pm One thing is for certain,
Don't go wireless internet
Go wired !
While there are some very populated areas where there are far too many WISP providers on the available wireless band and this causes problems, in the villages the wisp service can be better than wired if the customer is not close to an exchange.

We get a very few evenings a year where atmospherics cause problems for the TV, our mast is 15Km away. Most days we get 5.9meg on a fairly constant signal and this compares well with my work at Trimithousa which is a fixed line.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

We were with Cyta for 7+ years and then with PrimeTel for the remainder of our 12 years in Cyprus until we left last year. We were very happy with both providers. Excellent customer service if we ever needed to call them up and pleasant engineers who came to visit. Never complained about our 2 dogs sitting behind them breathing down their necks as they worked 😊
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

I am across on east of the island and use Cosmos Wireless and its 50Mbps service - can't fault it.
Big Al

Post by Big Al »

[/quote]
While there are some very populated areas where there are far too many WISP providers on the available wireless band and this causes problems, in the villages the wisp service can be better than wired if the customer is not close to an exchange.
[/quote]

I think your right Dave, thats our problem we are in Universal, and the wisp suppliers are all fighting each other, in 6 or 7 years with them we have had one holiday where it was solid for 3 weeks, the rest of the time its been all over the place, one of the suppliers, we were constantly getting 0.1mb it used to take ages to load a web page.

And now with all the mag & kodi boxes in Universal, its useless, so much so Ive bitten the bullet after all these years and signed up to cyta,it may cost me a €150 a year more but at least i will be able to watch Everton when they play !
I don't know what will be more frustrating tho watching Everton or not moaning about awful connection speeds :D
What I will say is, if your in Universal get wired it will save you soooo much hassle,
holitec

Post by holitec »

Dave is correct, I was at a remote farm the other day, the internet there is excellent - rock solid. However if you are in an area with lots of providers, the signal interference can be an issue causing slow speeds, tv buffering etc.

Although I am a wireless provider, I live in a remote location, and have no problems. However, in some locations it can be an issue. It depends on where you are moving to. Landlines at some locations are just not available, or are at the limits of adsl, so wireless is the only option.

Big Al is in central Paphos where there is a total frequency block, so wireless for him is not a viable option.

Regards

Digby