Paypal Scam

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
kansas

Paypal Scam

Post by kansas »

This morning we received an SMS from SMS Info. informing us that 2 transactions amounting to over €200 would result in a direct debit from our bank account later today. We followed the link and, sure enough, it was a site claiming to be PayPal showing 2 transactions neither of which we have made. Worryingly this amount would be a recurring transaction.

Anyone else had this?
Firefly

Re: Paypal Scam

Post by Firefly »

Yes me too, but just deleted it.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
kansas

Post by kansas »

Just got back from the bank. Very helpful. Have cancelled our Visa cards as a precaution and will collect new ones on Friday. If, for any reason, the cash is taken (unlikely) then we have a number to ring and we will be reimbursed. We will delete such things in future!!
Paul

Post by Paul »

I have lost count the number of times I have had emails and messages about my Paypal account.
Look at the email address of the sender if it's letters and numbers mixed up just delete the message it's a scam one.
I currently have over 300 email address blocked on my email account all scam ones.
Paul
Princebytor

Post by Princebytor »

See this quite a bit now in the UK, usually on my Amazon account. I just log on to my account separately to see what is happening, I never click on a link, especially as Paul says the e-mail address of the sender gives the game away.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

You should never follow links. If you have done at the very least you should reset your browser settings, delete all cookies etc etc.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

My Spam filters dump all this kind of rubbish in the relevant folder. The trials and tribulations of running a website and multiple online presence pages means you get seen as a target.

The only time I see these posts now is when they're shared by people on social media.

I just wish I could bash the heads of people who share those fb posts of a large business, be it a supermarket, bar/restaurant chain or campervan company who are "giving away" something for free, just for liking and sharing a post.
Of course, they're all scams and the person who liked, shared or commented they had "done" as requested is automatically sent a private message with a link to claim their freebie.
Never a genuine business page. Why do they not understand that a large business would have made more than one social media post on a facebook page, before they start giving something away?

Never, ever - click on a link.

PayPal usually send you an email when it's for a notification (with the exception of security text codes) and it will always have your name displayed in full and exactly as you have registered it with your account.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

PayPal will notify you by email, not by text.

They only use texts to send you a secure 6 digit code to access your account under the new additional security measures.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Oxfordboy

Post by Oxfordboy »

The company I contract to conduct tests every now and again to see who falls for the phishing scams, and it's surprising that even in an IT company, some still do, although very few. The simple rule is, "If in doubt, don't". Same applies to text/WhatsApp/Viber messages.