Paphos Smart Parking

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
trevnhil

Re: Paphos Smart Parking

Post by trevnhil »

I am with you mouse, that the authorities seem to assume that everyone has an up to date Smart phone
Trev..
tonee

Post by tonee »

Trev St George hospital has its own car park,1 euro for as long as you want,on the opposite side just past the hospital,you will see the red and white barriers.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Thanks for that tonee. I assume it takes coins :-)
Trev..
tonee

Post by tonee »

Yes Trev,1 euro coin,
lefkes

Post by lefkes »

Tonee, if passing the hospital on the left of the main road would the car park be on the right ? . Also would you have to prove you are visiting the hospital ? . I visit the hospital about six times a year and had no idea this park existed . Thanks in advance
lefkes .
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

So what happens if you are a person with an ordinary, basic phone without internet capability? So far, I haven't seen any announcements in the media about the new system being operational..

Dee
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

A neighbour has used the app and is very happy:

“I loaded my account with a small amount of money €5, just to try it. What’s good is the car park by Caffè Nero in the Old Town used to charge €1 for 4 hours. I parked for 1 hour and it charged me €0.25”

Ian
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

As yet I haven't seen anything in the press about the new automatic parking system.
The Cyprus Mail usually reports any new laws/ regulations which affect everyone including all non Greek speakers and English speaking tourists. But have seen no notification in what I've read so far..

We ate lunch today at a taverna in the Old Town, while sitting outside in a shaded street.
Very tasty food. The only downside,is that both lifts from the carpark to the market are not working.today. So be prepared for climbing the steps in hot weather!

However new parking ticket machines have been fitted. Payment may be either by new Parking App, or by 1 Euro in the machine as before !

Dee
tonee

Post by tonee »

Trev,whilst passing St George on the right,car park about10 yards on the left.Barrier will lift on entry,1 euro coin on exit will lift barrier.Anybody can use it,loads of space,used it many times.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Thanks for that tonee
Trev..
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

There is a point I never thought of Mr Mouse. Although I have a mobile smart (ish) phone I am on pay-as-you-go, so most of the time not connected to the internet.. ???????
Trev..
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Many thanks, Mouse. I would probably go with the text option. But if you don't have an internet connection you couldn't in fact use the App properly anyway. So how would you know where to park?
Yesterday, I parked in a shaded, numbered space in the Market carpark.Then walked to the nearest parking meter. I found that there were two ways of paying. Using the App, or a simple coin in the slot. I choose the latter option, simple. 1€ for 2 hrs, which is still very cheap.

It occurred to me that in a tourist town, there must also be a coin in the slot option. Not all tourists speak fluent English or Greek, and in Any case may not have a smart phone.And probably some local people may not have an all singing all dancing smart phone...

Dee
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

mouse wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:09 am Correct me if I am wrong but to use the app your device needs continuous internet connection ( mobile data ) . I tried mobile data on my tablet a few years back , it was a so easy connection and surfing/browsing I went through 20 euro in 2 evenings , seeing we have wifi at home it was just a waste of money. I neither need nor want a 24/7 connection, when I am out and about I still have phone and sms so what more do I need.

Likewise mouse, I just connect to wifi at home as I know the system is secure. In addition I use CYTA so easy pay as you go and hardly use the mobile for phone calls/SMS so the balance is usually between €5-11 at any time and I only top up once every 9-10 months!
Ams

Post by Ams »

I used the new smart parking app on Saturday and it worked fine.

I'd put some money in my 'wallet' on the app and used that. When I parked I entered the number from the parking place, then when I left, used the app again to end my parking. So I was charged for the amount of time parked (85c).

Yes, you need data on your phone, but I just turned it on for a couple of minutes when I parked and when I left.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Thanks for that update Ams. Very enlightening
Trev..
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

As long as car parks have the option to put your coin in the slot I will continue to use this method. Probably the simplest way. (When I went to school computers and calculators hadn't been invented, we all got by without them). I seldom use apps, unless they sayl something which is useful.
I suspect there are many others like me who can use a computer to perform simple tasks, and others who don't use them. Not everyone has a smart phone, and visitors with smart phones, not registered in Cyprus may not be able to access the parking app.
At present parking charges here are only chicken feed, so finding a 1 or 2 euro coin isn't too hard.

Dee
memory man

Post by memory man »

As long as car parks have the option to put your coin in the slot I will continue to use this method.
....and so will I :)
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

memory man wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:08 pm
As long as car parks have the option to put your coin in the slot I will continue to use this method.
....and so will I :)

MM and Killi01, you’re both going to have to think about adapting in the future, unless they change their minds. The current ticket machines are only “staying for a reasonable transition time”. Those listed as Zone E will remain free of charge but based on the published list that is currently only the harbour one - presumably aimed at tourists, plus “rest”, whatever that means. I know of one (currently) free one on the edge of the Old Town for those who don’t mind a shortish walk into the Old Town on a scorching day.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Sounds like discrimination! So what will happen to those people who don't use or even have a smartphone?Will they be unable to park legally in Paphos.For me, I can probably manage without going there.Or will park at a Supermarket.
The Mayor must have had EU money to burn..as this scheme cost a packet...

Dee
Polly

Post by Polly »

For several days I have been trying to sign up and register but cannot get accepted. The password I enter is not accepted even though I am composing it as instructed, the same with the user name and my telephone number is described as invalid. I'm stuck. Anyone else had this experience?
Also has anyone found out how the sms system works yet?
The website is in Greek so no help there as I cannot read it as is. I also find it difficult to read a mobile screen in the daylight/sunlight so if I do get it working I don't know if I'll be able to use it!