Paphos Smart Parking

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Kjthom_3

Re: Paphos Smart Parking

Post by Kjthom_3 »

Can you use the app on a UK phone and credit card?
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I'm not sure of a definite answer. I use the app, but I have a phone account with CYTA and the parking charge appears on my tel bill. If you're a visitor here it maybe best to go to the Cyprus Tourist office in Paphos, which is in. the main street in the Old town. Ask there.
J B

Post by J B »

Kjthom_3 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 10:50 am Can you use the app on a UK phone and credit card?
I've put the app on my UK mobile but haven't used it.
J B
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

It depends how you use the App. I just downloaded it from the Play Store, but have no account set up. Each time I use it, I need to enter payment details, and the money is debited from my bank account. It shows up on my bank statements.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Which is another way to do it! But do you need to have a Cyprus Bank account?
janeandian

Post by janeandian »

Yes, download the app and it works fine on UK mobile, and you can pay using a card or apple pay.
janeandian

Post by janeandian »

Yes we use a cypriot bank account, but it also works on apple pay with UK bank debit card
mark4007

Post by mark4007 »

Kili01 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:57 pm Which is another way to do it! But do you need to have a Cyprus Bank account?
No - you dont need a Cyprus Bank account but you do get charged in Euros.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Or buy a Cyta Cyprus sim card on pay as you go, pop it into your phone.
SMS 9191 it will ask what number parking space that you are in, there is a 1 euro fee deducted from your phone credit.
Last edited by Uncle D on Thu May 09, 2024 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
Caledonian

Post by Caledonian »

Why mess about with apps. Just SMS to 9191 and put in the number of the space as the message, job done. Can’t possibly see how they can tell if the space is covered, or identify a vehicle unless they have underground sensors and npr cameras for each space.
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Caledonian wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:40 pm Why mess about with apps. Just SMS to 9191 and put in the number of the space as the message, job done. Can’t possibly see how they can tell if the space is covered, or identify a vehicle unless they have underground sensors and npr cameras for each space.
The parking officers on the scooters can tell if the space is paid for or not with their electronic gadgets. They were showing me how they check when I was chatting to a couple of them in Kennedy Square just after the system launched.

Yes, no prob with the the app - it’s downloadable from the Apple UK App Store, you make a payment for a one off parking event, or create an an account and load it with a card using either Apple Pay or JCC. Presumably the same for non Apple but I’m very much not in that camp.

One thing I’m not sure of is, if you, pay via SMS, if you still end the parking when you return to the car or not - with the app that’s a handy benefit as you only get charged pro rata e.g. my fairly quick stop for a coffee and cake and to get some coffee beans cost only 52 cents on Tuesday morning

Ian
J B

Post by J B »

Caledonian wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:40 pm Why mess about with apps. Just SMS to 9191 and put in the number of the space as the message, job done.
Maybe because many people don't have a Cyprus Mobile perhaps?
J B
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

J B wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 6:13 pm
Caledonian wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:40 pm Why mess about with apps. Just SMS to 9191 and put in the number of the space as the message, job done.
Maybe because many people don't have a Cyprus Mobile perhaps?
Caledonian- it may not be important to some but I don’t believe parking is charged pro rata when using SMS v using an app. If regularly stopping somewhere for a period less than the default period, that can soon add up to a decent saving.

JB - you don’t need a Cyprus mobile.

Ian
Ams

Post by Ams »

PolemIan wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:33 am
You need a Cyprus sim to use the SMS payment, surely, as the money is charged to your phone bill, which presumably passes it onto Paphos Municipality.

If you use the app and your debit/credit card, then the sim country shouldn't matter.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

In front of the Hickory restaurant near TOTK are three parking areas. In each there is a sign indicating that parking is charged at €1 per hour using the smart parking method. However, none of the parking bays have legible allocated numbers - in fact on most there is no number at all.

When meeting for coffee at the Hickory earlier this week as soon as I saw the parking signs I moved my car elsewhere, yet other people said they had always parked there and weren't even aware there was a parking sign.
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Ams wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 11:47 am
PolemIan wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:33 am
You need a Cyprus sim to use the SMS payment, surely, as the money is charged to your phone bill, which presumably passes it onto Paphos Municipality.

If you use the app and your debit/credit card, then the sim country shouldn't matter.
Not sure about that AMS, the German tourists I helped a few months back seemed ok with the SMS - otherwise it would be free for all tourists / visitors from outside Cyprus which would a significant revenue hit for a tourism oriented town like Paphos.

Your mobile simply switches to a local carriers network when outside your home country and you may or may not be billed for roaming minutes depending on your home provider so adding an SMS fee to a mobile bill back home is a doddle between the mobile operators.

Quote from municipality in the Cyprus Mail last summer

“ The municipality reminded visitors and residents that the payment of parking fees can be made through the “Pafos Smart Parking” application or by texting the number of the parking location to 9191, which will automatically add the required amount to the user’s phone bill.”

Ian