Earthquake

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
WHL

Earthquake

Post by WHL »

Over here in the east, woke up , bed shaking and wardrobe doors banging away at 4.40am, I've seen a few whilst living here, but this was a strong one.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Re: Earthquake

Post by Devil »

Was there a tremor? At that time, I was in the land of Dodo, fast asleep, like all God-fearing creatures!
WHL

Post by WHL »

Devil wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:06 pm Was there a tremor? At that time, I was in the land of Dodo, fast asleep, like all God-fearing creatures!
The wardrobe doors were banging, and the bed was shaking, something that rarely happens nowadays :lol:
Last edited by WHL on Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

mouse wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:52 pm is it my imagination or are the tremors getting stronger and more frequent ?
NO!

The largest quakes in Cypriot history Limassol Castle1075 BCE. — The devastating earthquake in Kition (Larnaca). The city, which was an important trade outpost in the Eastern Mediterranean, was restored by the Phoenicians. 1075 BCE. — A devastating earthquake in Salamis (Famagusta). Restoration of the coastal settlement involved residents who came from the interior of the island also destroyed by the quake. 76-77 year CE. — A devastating earthquake in Palea Paphos (Kuklia). The largest settlement of that time was in the west of Cyprus, rebuilt by the Romans who ruled the west of the island. Severely damaged by an earthquake in 342 AD and despite the fact that most of Nea Paphos was restored, the city was unable to function as a capital by the end of the 4th century. 365 AD — the city of Curio was destroyed. The catastrophe marked the end of the era of pagan antiquity, and the temples of the ancient gods were not restored. 1221, 1489, 1584, 1904, 1905 — major earthquakes in Limassol. 1941 — a quake measuring 5.9 in Paralimni which killed 15 people. 1953 — an earthquake of 6.5 in Pafos, which killed 63 people. February 23, 1995 — a quake of 5.7 in Paphos and Limassol, two people died and five injured. October 9, 1996 — an earthquake of 6.5, one person died, 20 were injured.

Read more at: https://www.kiprinform.com/en/cyprus_in ... in-cyprus/
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

mouse wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:52 pm is it my imagination or are the tremors getting stronger and more frequent ?
I much prefer lots of little ones to one big one.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Dominic wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:54 pm I much prefer lots of little ones to one big one.
Why? Less exciting! :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

Quicker recovery time?
jeba

Post by jeba »

What Kind of earthquake are building standards anticipating?
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Depends on the orientation of the temblor, based on known unstable faults, the construction materials and method et cetera. For example, a high-rise in Paphos should be better protected than a bungalow in central Cyprus. That having been said, I believe there is a minimum standard which must be respected – I'm not sure that this minimum may be six or seven on the Richter scale, with minimal damage or loss of life.
WHL

Post by WHL »

jeba wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:43 pm What Kind of earthquake are building standards anticipating?
https://www.cys.org.cy/images/stories/C ... 1998-1.pdf
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Thanks for that! There is a lot more detail in that document than I was able to or needed to digest, but there was enough general information to satisfy my knowledge (admittedly very weak) sufficiently, particularly in relation to the 25 years that I have been living here in the yellow zone one. It also somewhat explains why I frequently don't even know that an earthquake has occurred when many people are panicking a short distance away. I distinctly remember the vendor of my house stating that we were in a low-earthquake zone.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I seem to remember being told by our contractor, a well known developer, that all houses ( or at least ones they built), were designed to withstand an earthquake of 6 on the Richter scale. Hence special foundations, and the use of many steel rebars in the whole building to re enforce the concrete structure.

Dee
jeba

Post by jeba »

Kili01 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:07 am I seem to remember being told by our contractor, a well known developer, that all houses ( or at least ones they built), were designed to withstand an earthquake of 6 on the Richter scale. Hence special foundations, and the use of many steel rebars in the whole building to re enforce the concrete structure.

Dee
To me that would seem to be too little of a requirement. In Turkey, there have been several earthquakes of magnitudes above 7. My guess is that Cyprus is at risk in the same way.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Cypriot houses are built so that if there is a heavy earthquake the design is for the walls to break/collapse and not the structure of the building. Seems to work.
All things are possible
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Kili01 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:07 am I seem to remember being told by our contractor, a well known developer, that all houses ( or at least ones they built), were designed to withstand an earthquake of 6 on the Richter scale. Hence special foundations, and the use of many steel rebars in the whole building to re enforce the concrete structure.

Dee
With our house, we were told 7. Experienced quite some earthquakes and no damage whatsoever. So, fingers crossed. I remember I was told that the Meridien Hotel in Limassol could withstand 10. Hope it will never be tested.
Louise :)