Going rate for domestic cleaner

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Polly

Going rate for domestic cleaner

Post by Polly »

The cleaner I have had for the last three years is stopping work for health reasons. When we started we agreed on €7 per hour which I understood was the going rate at the time. A replacement has asked for €10 per hour. So, advice please on what is the going rate now. What are you paying your cleaner?

Thanks
WHL

Re: Going rate for domestic cleaner

Post by WHL »

It depends how good a job they do, if they do a good shift then 10e is very fair.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

I agree, times are getting harder for everyone, including domestic workers. If you want the luxury of having a cleaner then you will have to pay for that luxury or do without.
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
WHL

Post by WHL »

Uncle D wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:47 am I agree, times are getting harder for everyone, including domestic workers. If you want the luxury of having a cleaner then you will have to pay for that luxury or do without.
Being on your knees, scrubbing dirty toilets and shower cubicles, for 10e an hour is not a luxury payment,
Sadie

Post by Sadie »

WHL wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:27 pm
Uncle D wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:47 am I agree, times are getting harder for everyone, including domestic workers. If you want the luxury of having a cleaner then you will have to pay for that luxury or do without.
Being on your knees, scrubbing dirty toilets and shower cubicles, for 10e an hour is not a luxury payment,
I think you’ve missed the point, the luxury is for the person employing the domestic help, not the cleaner themselves 🤷🏼‍♀️
If you never ask the question, the answer will always be....no
josef k

Post by josef k »

The usual rate these days is 10 euros, and perhaps transport to and fro.
emgee

Post by emgee »

For Euro sign € type in Alt 0128.

Alan
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I pay my cleaner €12 per hr. Nothing extra for transport.
But she has been with me for a long time, and is a very experienced-cleaner. Who uses her head and can look after my house when I'm away. If anything should happen when I am not here, she will deal with most things and let me know. So worth it.
Cost of living for us all is going up here.
Dee
Polly

Post by Polly »

Thank you all for your replies.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Just for comparison: I asked a builder how much construction workers are earnings per day. His answer was: Around €70 and €80-90 if working under the table. Therefore, I somehow doubt that the going rate for a cleaner is €10.
WHL

Post by WHL »

jeba wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:52 pm Just for comparison: I asked a builder how much construction workers are earnings per day. His answer was: Around €70 and €80-90 if working under the table. Therefore, I somehow doubt that the going rate for a cleaner is €10.
Why do you doubt what people are saying on here?
why would I or others who employ cleaners not tell the truth?
jeba

Post by jeba »

WHL wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:10 pm
jeba wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:52 pm Just for comparison: I asked a builder how much construction workers are earnings per day. His answer was: Around €70 and €80-90 if working under the table. Therefore, I somehow doubt that the going rate for a cleaner is €10.
I don't doubt that people pay what they said the pay. I merely don't t think it's a representative sample.
WHL

Post by WHL »

jeba wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:39 pm
I don't doubt that people pay what they said the pay. I merely don't t think it's a representative sample.
It is.
jeba

Post by jeba »

WHL wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:01 pm
jeba wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:39 pm

It is.
Not according to bazaraki: https://m.bazaraki.com/search/?q=Cleaner . There the range seems to be between €5 and €7.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

So the OP can insist on 5 to 7 euros and until she finds one who will do the job for that rate can simply clean the house herself.
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Some people do find cleaners who will accept what is really a below subsistence wage. They may be domestic helpers from an Asian country, who are moonlighting from their contract with their employer and are working for extra money to send home... It's illegal to do this, but as long no one finds out, it goes on.

Dee
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

We pay our cleaner €10 an hour, our gardener the same and our pool man €100 a month (including all chemicals). We increased the rate for our gardener and pool man recently.
RN13

Post by RN13 »

Hallo
What please is the going rate currently for a cleaner? Thanks
josef k

Post by josef k »

I know a large number of philippina women who work as cleaners. They insist on a minumum of 10 euros and refuse to work for less. Depending on distance their travel may be paid in addition. It's the same rate for babysitting etc.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Asked a friend, they pay their cleaner, ten euros an hour, and cook her lunch.