Sterling cheque

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Yogi

Sterling cheque

Post by Yogi »

I have just received a sterling cheque in Cyprus. Can these be paid into my Euro account, or am I best sending it to someone in UK to pay it into my UK account ? Any experience of this would be much appreciated
souniman

Re: Sterling cheque

Post by souniman »

I have sent a uk cheque to my bank in the UK with a note to pay in to my account and no problems
trireme

Post by trireme »

Some banks allow you to pay in cheques electronically, via internet banking, I know Lloyds does, May be worth checking.
Yogi

Post by Yogi »

Thanks Trireme. I am with Lloyd’s, but their limit for that is £1k. Fortunately (or unfortunately) this cheque is bigger than that
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

With the amount you are talking about, I think it would be worth a phone call to your bank to find the answer
Trev..
glang3000

Post by glang3000 »

I once banked a UK sterling cheque for £10,000 in Cyprus, it cost me a small fortune, they posted it to the UK and asked the UK bank to transfer it back in euros I got a very bad exchange rate and bank charges from both banks.

I would suggest posting it direct to your UK bank.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, they most certainly do!
But these days all banks are very security cautious and your UK bank will certainly be very conscious of any unusual cheques due to possible money laundering risk.
Best seek your bank managers advice as already stated.
Dee
J B

Post by J B »

Kili01 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:41 pm Best seek your bank managers advice as already stated.
Do such things exist in the UK now? ;)
J B
WHL

Post by WHL »

J B wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:19 am
Kili01 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:41 pm Best seek your bank managers advice as already stated.
Do such things exist in the UK now? ;)
Last two bank branches ive been to in London, there was a row of ATM machines
and a solitarily lady, to help thickos like me, who get stuck using the machines.
on a side note, we were at a branch of Halifax, and my wife gave me her card, to withdraw some cash, it wouldn't work for me, so we went in and told the lady, it wasn't working, she told my wife to try again, my wife tried and it worked for her, im guessing these machines have face recognition, so if the card is a females name, then when a chap try's to use it , it wont work.