Sat nav

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paul

Sat nav

Post by Paul »

I came back to Cyprus on Sunday; during my stay in the UK I purchased a new sat nav.

Much to my surprise it has Cyprus mapping in it, I was expecting to have to buy the Cyprus maps.

The unit is a Garmin drive 52 and at £90 in Halfords, a lot cheaper than buying here in Cyprus.

So if you’re coming over a want a sat nav for Cyprus think about one of theses sat navs.

Paul
:D
darrow

Re: Sat nav

Post by darrow »

I asked about Sat Nav years ago, because i was told i had to pay nearly €200 for Cyprus map. I asked why , when you have a map of Europe, and Cyprus is in the EU, why wasn't it included? The answer was, Politics! I was also told that they were aware of the anomaly and were trying to resolve it. Expected "shortly". That was years ago! It looks as though someone has finally seen sense.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I use Google Maps, Sat Nav.. It is not faultless, but it is OK
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

I have Garmin with Europe but Cyprus is a bit hit and miss.
Mighty Sprite

Post by Mighty Sprite »

Try "Sygic" on a smartphone.

It uses Google maps as a base but I find it easier to use. The downside is that it shows a lot of the tracks in the countryside and it is hard to distinguish them from roads. It does NOT use them when showing you a route.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

We use Maps.me app for UK and all of our travel plans since it was recommended to us in 2019 when we were going to Marrakech.

Many of the streets there don't have street names and lots of dead ends inside of the Medina.

We got stuck several times in the Kasbah district in blind alleys during our wanderings but maps.me rescued us each time.

You download the country or area map.
You can bookmark places and you don't need any data to access it once you have the map downloaded to search for places.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

WHL wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:23 pm I have Garmin with Europe but Cyprus is a bit hit and miss.
Garmin is the only system that has our Street in its gazetteer.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I still find Google Maps a little hit and miss. I wanted to find the way to the PMC hospital in Nicosia centre.
It could not find the hospital. But it could find the Santo Car Wash in the same street. :-)
Trev..
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Maps ME for me.
I have a Garmin in my truck which has a map of Cyprus. I bought it in Stephanis years ago and have upgraded the data a few times.