Speed Cameras

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
WHL

Speed Cameras

Post by WHL »

Coming from Ayia Napa towards Larnaca yesterday, I was doing about 130/135 km, when I saw an unmarked medium sized white van, with blacked out rear windows and no signage on it, parked up on the hard shoulder, behind it there was a plastic orange bollard, indicating it was broken down, as I went past it, there was a bright flash, so obviously it caught and photographed me speeding, no complaints from me as I was guilty no excuses, just giving everyone on here a heads up, mobile speed cameras are up and running, be careful folks.
71 Trans Am

Re: Speed Cameras

Post by 71 Trans Am »

I thought that Cyprus pretty much had the same sort of rules as the UK where traffic offences are concerned ?
In the UK for some time now if a camera van is operating in a particular area the operator has to attach a sign to a lamp post displaying the camera logo or the wording that speed cameras are operating in the area in advance of the van so that the motorist is aware – The days of hiding behind bus shelters with Radar guns are long gone – The vans now also have to painted an obvious colour so that you can identify them clearly on approach and most are bright yellow with a blue stripe – There was a spate of cases about ten years ago now that were thrown out of court because lawyers argued that the public should be made aware that camera vans are operating in a particular area and that the motorist is likely to be prosecuted if filmed speeding in that area.
Probably one of a few things that the Do Gooders got right.
WHL

Post by WHL »

71 Trans Am wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:49 pm I thought that Cyprus pretty much had the same sort of rules as the UK where traffic offences are concerned ?
In the UK for some time now if a camera van is operating in a particular area the operator has to attach a sign to a lamp post displaying the camera logo or the wording that speed cameras are operating in the area in advance of the van so that the motorist is aware – The days of hiding behind bus shelters with Radar guns are long gone – The vans now also have to painted an obvious colour so that you can identify them clearly on approach and most are bright yellow with a blue stripe – There was a spate of cases about ten years ago now that were thrown out of court because lawyers argued that the public should be made aware that camera vans are operating in a particular area and that the motorist is likely to be prosecuted if filmed speeding in that area.
Probably one of a few things that the Do Gooders got right.
Sorry don't agree with you, there are signs all over the place, telling us what the speed limit is,
I would imagine most of us break the speed limit every time we drive, we break the rules we get fined simple. cant do the time dont do the crime, and all that.
ast

Post by ast »

There was a police officer in the bushes on the tomb of the Kings Road yesterday with a hand held camera, almost impossible to see until you were level with him. If you don't want a ticket don't speed. 8-)
I started off with nothing and have most of it left !
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

They hide in the bushes on the dual carriageway going past McDonalds. And on the one lower down going past the Iasis Hospital.
I have been stopped at night around 10-30 PM by a policeman with a red 'wand' on Polis Road
Trev..
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

www.confused.com

What are mobile speed camera rules?
Mobile speed cameras are usually run by local police forces and positioned in places where there’s been a history of road traffic incidents. Like any other speed camera, they catch you if you break the speed limit.

Mobile speed cameras also have guidelines on their positioning and appearance:

Mobile speed camera operators should be visible and wearing fluorescent clothing. Their vehicles should be marked with reflective strips too
Signs should be placed in areas where mobile cameras are operating - but this isn’t mandatory
Like the speed cameras, every mobile speed camera site should be reviewed every 6 months
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

My guess is that all the above is from a UK site.. They seem to have different guidelines in Cyprus, which is where we live..
Trev..
kansas

Post by kansas »

The new "non-police" speed cameras are operated by a private contractor. I can't recall the name on the side of the white vans, but it's actually a subsidiary of Brinks. They are obliged, I believe, to display a camera sign some distance before the camera van. On the highway I throw myself on the mercy of cruise control. I have never been stopped or flashed at 120kph.
kansas

Post by kansas »

The new "non-police" speed cameras are operated by a private contractor. I can't recall the name on the side of the white vans, but it's actually a subsidiary of Brinks. They are obliged, I believe, to display a camera sign some distance before the camera van. On the highway I throw myself on the mercy of cruise control. I have never been stopped or flashed at 120kph.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Update, its been just over a month since I got caught speeding by the new mobile speed cameras, to day we had a note in the mail box to go and pick up a letter from the Post office, wife went but they wouldn't let her have it ( no problem her picking stuff up in my name in the past)
they said it was a speeding fine and only I can pick it up on proof of my ID, so I will pick it up on Monday morning and see what the damage is,
For all those who keep banging on about no one pays fines in Cyprus, and it gets forgotten in the end, you are wrong.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I don't suppose anyone means that. Probably most expats would rather pay the fine, than face further summonses down the line resulting in an increased fine. But evidence quoted in the paper, suggests that some local Cypriots will go to great lengths, to try to prove that he wasn't driving the car, or car belonged to someone else, or on the time/ date on the ticket, he was somewhere else. You can see this info yourself,if you read the Cyprus Mail which reports frequently on the difficulties faced by the police to enforce this.
Once again with only 4 new fixed cameras in use, it was reported that there was a huge backlog in issuing tickets for fines, and difficult to proove who the driver was at the time of the fine..
Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:18 pm I don't suppose anyone means that. Probably most expats would rather pay the fine, than face further summonses down the line resulting in an increased fine. But evidence quoted in the paper, suggests that some local Cypriots will go to great lengths, to try to prove that he wasn't driving the car, or car belonged to someone else, or on the time/ date on the ticket, he was somewhere else. You can see this info yourself,if you read the Cyprus Mail which reports frequently on the difficulties faced by the police to enforce this.
Once again with only 4 new fixed cameras in use, it was reported that there was a huge backlog in issuing tickets for fines, and difficult to proove who the driver was at the time of the fine..
Dee
Firstly how do you know what percentage of Cypriots or expats , pay their fines on time or wait to pay later, you don't know , just making it up as you go,
Although I got caught speeding and I think I got caught again the other day, I think these mobile speed cameras will be good for cyprus roads, but then again im a glass half full sort of guy, and not a doom and gloom merchant :roll:
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I was only writing what I had read in an article in the Sunday Mail recently, which quoted figures. This was a report on the trial stage of the introduction of the new speed cameras.It said because of the confusion caused, and the difficulty with linking up the thousands of unpaid fines already issued, the police were considering asking for a delay in the planned installation of 20 more of the fixed cameras which had been planned for stage 1 of the installation of these new cameras.No I didn't keep the article unfortunately as the paper was recycled.

Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Morning all, So I went and picked up my fine this morning from the Post Office.
So I was clocked on 22/4/22, doing 123 km in a 100 speed limit, fine 46 euro, so basically 2 euros for every kilometer over , but I think the faster you speed the higher the fine per kilometer will be.,
So for all the people who keep banging on about this urban myth that fines are never issued/lost in the system/ they are forgotten as time goes on, blah blah blah, you are so wrong.
PS it also says a fine of up to 500 euros if you ignore this fine.
Last edited by WHL on Mon May 30, 2022 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

WHL wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:10 am Morning all, So I went and picked up my fine this morning from the Post Office.
So I was clocked on 22/4/22, doing 123 km in a 100 speed limit, fine 46 euro, so basically 2 euros for every kilometer over , but I think the faster you speed the higher the fine per kilometer will be.,
So for all the people who keep banging on about this urban myth that fines are never issued/lost in the system/ they are forgotten as time goes on, blah blah blah, you are so wrong.

So luckily you was not doing 130-135 km/h as you mentioned in your first post. Perhaps they gave you some discount.... :) :) :)

Max
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Possibly as important as the fine is did you get any points on your licence ?
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:24 am
WHL wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:10 am Morning all, So I went and picked up my fine this morning from the Post Office.

So luckily you was not doing 130-135 km/h as you mentioned in your first post. Perhaps they gave you some discount.... :) :) :)

Max
I don't think they give you discount, the camera records the speed you were doing, If I remember correctly , when I saw the camera, I slammed my brakes on, thus cutting my speed down before the camera clicked.
WHL

Post by WHL »

trevnhil wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:25 am Possibly as important as the fine is did you get any points on your licence ?
No points as far as I can see on the form, but I picked up two points and a hundred euro fine when I parked on the opposite side of the road, in a parking bay with money put in the meter.
Big Al

Post by Big Al »

No points as far as I can see on the form, but I picked up two points and a hundred euro fine when I parked on the opposite side of the road, in a parking bay with money put in the meter.
[/quote]

Wow, I didnt realise you could get a fine for that, I will have to stop doing that pronto :(
WHL

Post by WHL »

Big Al wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 11:26 am No points as far as I can see on the form, but I picked up two points and a hundred euro fine when I parked on the opposite side of the road, in a parking bay with money put in the meter.
Wow, I didnt realise you could get a fine for that, I will have to stop doing that pronto :(
[/quote]

Yep, I didn't know either, parking opposing traffic is illegal, I had parked in a bay put money in the meter so I thought I was good to go, went back to the car, there was a ticket on the screen 100e fine, other cars parked the same as me also had tickets, I went straight to the police station where they confirmed it, all parking in Cyprus opposing traffic is illegal, apparently it is the same back in the uk at night time.