Your best memories

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
jagwheels

Your best memories

Post by jagwheels »

Dominic said on another thread. If you want to talk about something, just talk about it so here goes

What single thing still remains most in your memory from years ago

For example maybe a Song, a joke, a piece of poetry, something that someone said to you, ad finitum

Mine is when I left home in Cornwall to start an apprenticeship in Coventry & my father of few words said. Be very careful as you will meet some loose women

Never found one but must assume he did
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Your best memories

Post by Dominic »

When I was 17 I was friends with a girl I met on our Biology A Level Field Trip during the summer. We went to London together one day as she wanted to buy a dress. On New Year's Eve that year she wore it, and I told her she looked beautiful. We had a kiss that had been building up for six months since we first met. It was perfect.

We went out for about a year, but drifted apart as we went to different universities, which is the death-knell for many a relationship.

Years later, still licking my wounds from my divorce, I stumbled upon Friends Reunited. Among other people, I looked her up, curious to see what had happened in her life. Turns out, she too was divorced, and lived not far away from me. Two years later we married, and Alex and I have been together ever since. We recently celebrated our 19th Wedding Anniversary, and I love her today as much as I did back then, when I first admired her in that beautiful purple dress.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Dominic wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:54 pm When I was 17 I was friends with a girl I met on our Biology A Level Field Trip during the summer. We went to London together one day as she wanted to buy a dress. On New Year's Eve that year she wore it, and I told her she looked beautiful. We had a kiss that had been building up for six months since we first met. It was perfect.

We went out for about a year, but drifted apart as we went to different universities, which is the death-knell for many a relationship.

Years later, still licking my wounds from my divorce, I stumbled upon Friends Reunited. Among other people, I looked her up, curious to see what had happened in her life. Turns out, she too was divorced, and lived not far away from me. Two years later we married, and Alex and I have been together ever since. We recently celebrated our 19th Wedding Anniversary, and I love her today as much as I did back then, when I first admired her in that beautiful purple dress.
You big softy you, reminds me of one of my wife's films, she is always watching on her favourite channel, Hallmark.
It was meant to be.
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

Awww Norv, I still love you and I love the question you have posed. 😁 I am a wee bit cross eyed and 'brain fried' after work today but, promise I will contribute in the next few days.

Maggie B
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

Maggie I am dying to hear your story especially if its one of those school behind the bike shed memories ;)
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

In the early 1950,s my great grandmother at the time was 95 years old.Maybe not a great age now but then it was.Even my friends at the time used to ask to come to our house to look at her.Anyway,my grandfather said to me one day,do you know your great gran will be 96 next week.Being a lad i remarked back,,who on earth wants to live to be 96,,he said some one who is 95
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

One of my best memories here in Cyprus dates back to 1974 just before the Turkish invasion. I booked 2 weeks holidays in Karavas/Kyrenia to show my best friend and his girlfriend (both Archaeologists from Nuremberg) how interesting Cyprus is concerning old sites. The years before that trip I was already 4 times in that area and found tiny islands which were obviously Bronze Age settlements.
So on a very hot lovely day with blue sky and calm sea we decided to do a day tour trip towards the east on Kyrenia. After a 1.5 hour drive we arrived in that very remote area that time back. Nobody around, no cars, no animals, only us, and living in a large German town we felt like Robinson Crusoe..

We were equipped with a lot of food and drinks (wine, brandy, souvlaki, kebab bread, halloumi, melons) and 3 beach mats to sit on. After we carried everything from our car to the island and stored it behind a large rock in the shade, we started to explore the area and realized it was really too hot for that.
So after 1 hour we had enough and decided after a good look if anybody else is around, to take all our cloth off and started preparing our lunch.
We felt ever so free...I can't describe the feeling. As we had no barbecue stuff with us and no cutlery only one pocket knife we had to improvise.
After we found one rock crevice to use as fire place we started collecting fire wood for char and to make skewer for the meat. That task was not that easy at all as we could only use what was stranded in years on this island, but in the end we got enough to start a fire. Now we realized that we had no firelighter with us. We opened a bottle of red and everybody had a good sip in order to cool down our nerves. My friend said we need patience and luckily his girlfriend had a paper tissue and we had the heat of the day. It was so hot in the meantime on the rocks that we had to put our shoes on not to burn. But that heat was obviously the reason that my friend managed after more than 1/2 hour turning a small piece of wood like a drill on one layer of the paper tissue,( underneath was another piece of wood) It produced enough heat that the paper ignited and the fire slowly slowly started by blowing slightly and putting more paper and tiny pieces of thyme leaves into it. When the first flames arrived we started dancing around the fire, naked as we were and celebrated with another sip from the Zivania bottle our success. Adding more larger fire wood and also some Zivania on our fire place we got after another 1/2 hour a very good char for our meat, pitta bread and halloumi. Our wooden skewers we had soaked in red wine in order that they don't burn too easy in the fire. In the end we could have grilled much longer and more. We enjoyed the food a lot perhaps also due to the fact that our alcohol level was a bit raised. After a long siesta we wanted to drive back in day light, cleaned up everything and drove back to our hotel.
Something like this never happened to me again .... unfortunately.

Max
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

One of the (many) highlights of my life was the phone call I got early 2004 from my daughter telling me that I was going to be a grandmother. I nearly dropped my phone. I was so happy and still am with my lovely granddaughter.
Louise :)
WHL

Post by WHL »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:54 pm One of my best memories here in Cyprus dates back to 1974 just before the Turkish invasion. I booked 2 weeks holidays in Karavas/Kyrenia to show my best friend and his girlfriend (both Archaeologists from Nuremberg) how interesting Cyprus is concerning old sites. The years before that trip I was already 4 times in that area and found tiny islands which were obviously Bronze Age settlements.
So on a very hot lovely day with blue sky and calm sea we decided to do a day tour trip towards the east on Kyrenia. After a 1.5 hour drive we arrived in that very remote area that time back. Nobody around, no cars, no animals, only us, and living in a large German town we felt like Robinson Crusoe..

We were equipped with a lot of food and drinks (wine, brandy, souvlaki, kebab bread, halloumi, melons) and 3 beach mats to sit on. After we carried everything from our car to the island and stored it behind a large rock in the shade, we started to explore the area and realized it was really too hot for that.
So after 1 hour we had enough and decided after a good look if anybody else is around, to take all our cloth off and started preparing our lunch.
We felt ever so free...I can't describe the feeling. As we had no barbecue stuff with us and no cutlery only one pocket knife we had to improvise.
After we found one rock crevice to use as fire place we started collecting fire wood for char and to make skewer for the meat. That task was not that easy at all as we could only use what was stranded in years on this island, but in the end we got enough to start a fire. Now we realized that we had no firelighter with us. We opened a bottle of red and everybody had a good sip in order to cool down our nerves. My friend said we need patience and luckily his girlfriend had a paper tissue and we had the heat of the day. It was so hot in the meantime on the rocks that we had to put our shoes on not to burn. But that heat was obviously the reason that my friend managed after more than 1/2 hour turning a small piece of wood like a drill on one layer of the paper tissue,( underneath was another piece of wood) It produced enough heat that the paper ignited and the fire slowly slowly started by blowing slightly and putting more paper and tiny pieces of thyme leaves into it. When the first flames arrived we started dancing around the fire, naked as we were and celebrated with another sip from the Zivania bottle our success. Adding more larger fire wood and also some Zivania on our fire place we got after another 1/2 hour a very good char for our meat, pitta bread and halloumi. Our wooden skewers we had soaked in red wine in order that they don't burn too easy in the fire. In the end we could have grilled much longer and more. We enjoyed the food a lot perhaps also due to the fact that our alcohol level was a bit raised. After a long siesta we wanted to drive back in day light, cleaned up everything and drove back to our hotel.
Something like this never happened to me again .... unfortunately.

Max
Sounds idyllic Max, but BBQing in the Buff, is a bit risky with sparks flying off the embers :o
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

I have no "best" memories. Some of my memories – so they be – are positive and some are negative. Some are of my childhood in Scotland, my military service in Yorkshire, my first life in Cyprus, just after the king died, Cambridge, Gosforth, marriage, birth of daughter, four different places in Switzerland over 35 years, 25 years in Cyprus and so to today.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Taking and paying for my grandad to go on holiday with us in 1999 to Benidorm for his first visit at the age of 83 and the first time he'd been on a plane since he was brought back to UK after two years spent as a prisoner of war in Italy.

Both grandparents took me to Lido di Jesolo on a sleeper coach holiday when I was 12yrs of age so this was me and my other half reciprocating since my gran had passed away some years before.

We told him he was on half board and would need some money for drinks but that was about it.

He was actually going All Inclusive and it took him a couple of days to get to grips with the concept, until the third night when he waved his photo ID card at us both and said "this round's on me".

I came across the envelope with the photos inside today whilst we were looking for some from a different holiday.

Sadly, he became unwell the following year and we were waiting to find out the results of several tests as he fancied going away again but we needed to be sure he was well enough to travel.

I was at work doing overtime one Sunday morning at my office near Salford when my hubby had a visit from the police. A neighbour had called them as he hadn't seen my grandad. He'd had a massive heart attack and was found in the bedroom.

So he never got that second trip, but seeing him happy and smiling in the photos today and the memories of a night in a local Spanish bar around the corner from our hotel watching Man U play one of the big Spanish teams, where we all had lots of friendly banter with the local guys cheering for the opposing team are memories we both can look on fondly.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"